Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: Lower Decks -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Star Trek animated comedy series ordered from Rick and Morty writer

The first-ever official Star Trek comedy series has been ordered.

CBS All Access has greenlit an animated series from Emmy-winner Mike McMahan, a writer on Adult Swim’s sensation Rick and Morty. The half-hour series is titled Star Trek: Lower Decks and will tackle the Federation from a comedic perspective, focusing “on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.”

“Mike won our hearts with his first sentence: ‘I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end,'” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “[McMahan’s] cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every Trek episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. As we broaden the world of Trek to fans of all ages, we’re so excited to include Mike’s extraordinary voice.”

Added McMahan: “As a life-long Trekkie, it’s a surreal and wonderful dream come true to be a part of this new era of Star Trek. While Star Trek: Lower Decks is a half-hour, animated show at its core, it’s undeniably Trek — and I promise not to add an episode at the very end that reveals the whole thing took place in a training program.”

Fans will recognize the Lower Decks title as referencing the name of one of the best episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. In 2011, McMahan started a Twitter account posting fake TNG plots, then scored a book deal to turn his tweets into Star Trek: The Next Generation: Warped: An Engaging Guide to the Never-Aired 8th Season.

The new project will bring to mind Fox’s The Orville, a dramedy from Family Guy‘s Seth MacFarlane which is clearly inspired by Trek.

And previously, there was a much-loved Star Trek: The Animated Series which expanded on The Original Series episodes and ran from 1973-74 (but was not a comedy).

The new show is the latest Trek project by the CBS All Access streaming service, which also has Star Trek: Discovery, which returns for its second season in January, and a new show with Patrick Stewart reprising his TNG character Jean-Luc Picard in the works.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Ok at first I thought this was a bit of a mistake, but then I thought about it and it's not like this would be canon and honestly I get a huge kick out of the Family Guy and American Dad skits they do on trek. Same with the Futurama Star Trek episode, so this might be a lot of fun. I would say it'd be better to do maybe an original IP but then I guess people would just accuse CBS of copying Orville.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I want this to be in the 24th century
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I hope this turns out well...it has a lot of potential!

Also, it seems this has already been given a two season order, so that's a promising start.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          I hope this turns out well...it has a lot of potential!

Also, it seems this has already been given a two season order, so that's a promising start.
          Well, that's only fair, it seems to take any Trek show a year to find its way.

Comment

I don't know if you talked about it here, but the CBS All Access has protected these titles in August :

Star Trek: Revolution
            Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
            Star Trek: Destiny
            Star Trek: Reliant
            Star Trek: Ceti Alpha V

So maybe any of these will be developed into a tv show in the near future after the Discovery and the Lower decks and untitled Picard one.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Im a little concerned they are going to oversaturate the market
              Jelgate is right

Comment

One of them must be the Picard one.

I don't mind as long as they can provide such quality like Discovery. Probably they would like to cover more weeks, so they want to make worth of CBS All-Access. Or the Netflix deal could also move things forward so nicely. Khmmm... MGM should learn these steps. Imagine if there would 1-2-3 new SG spin-offs in development. All the fandom would make happy dance here. Wait a second, I have just waken up back to the sad reality.

But anyway... We will get Lost in space season 2, new Witcher series, new Diablo animated series, new Star Trek : Discovery season 2, American gods season 2 and Altered Carbon season 2 are being shot or in development, then the last season of Game of Thrones (then the GoT : The Long Night spinoff), the new Star Wars live action series (The Mandalorian) and later the new Lord of the Rings series (where Amazon wants to invest a horrible amount of money for five seasons). So scifi and fantasy fans will be really pleased in 2019-2020.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Alex Kurtzman expects Lower Decks to premiere either 2021 or 2022.

Comment

Sounds like animation hasn't started yet, but the (still unannounced) cast had their first table read yesterday.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/07/sta...ant-milestone/

Comment

Very briefest of updates from Alex Kurtzman:
                      It’s a total love letter to Star Trek; there’s no mockery.
                      https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/09/ale...-future-on-tv/

Comment

Lower Decks from Mike McMahan was announced in October 2018, and recently hit the milestone of having the first table read for a completed script. Kurtzman described the audience for the show and the general premise:

"Both of these [upcoming animated] shows are a love letter to Star Trek. They’re targeted at very different groups. Mike’s show is really for kids, I would say, from 11 to 70. [Laughs]

What I love so much about the way Mike is doing is planning things. What would typically be the “A” story on any Star Trek episode is happening in the background — like huge, crazy, crazy **** is going on in the background and that’s super peripheral to the story that you’re actually focusing on. No show has ever really done that before."
                        https://trekmovie.com/2019/06/18/ale...-tv-franchise/

Comment

Remember what happened last time we got a love letter?
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Remember what happened last time we got a love letter?
                            That's exactly what I think of whenever anyone uses the phrase

Comment

Star Trek novelist David Mack has been hired as a “consultant for the show, as well as something else Trek that is presently “classified”...

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/09/sta...ng-classified/

Comment

Working...
                              X