No announcement yet.

Rosa (3703 / 1103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little trivia. Actress Vinette Robinson who played 'Rosa Parks', also appeared in the episode '42' as 'Abi Lerner' as well as several episodes of Sherlock as 'Sgt. Sally Donovan'.
    Last edited by pscard; 22 October 2018, 09:36 AM.
    Total syffy posts: 36,690
    (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Matthew 5:9

Comment

I have a strong feeling that Krasko will be back. Ryan had said he didn't know how far into the future he sent him which leaves it open for his return.

Also, I thought the actor who portrayed Krasko looked very familiar. He played 'John Stevenson' in Time After Time.
      (Chosen One)

Comment

Didn't Ryan send Krasko into the distant past, rather than the future?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          Didn't Ryan send Krasko into the distant past, rather than the future?
          Yes, he did. That's why I was half expecting the world around the Doctor and her companions to morph into something different as a result of something Krasko did in the past as soon as he was sent back.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            Another thought I had and people bear with me here. This is just my thoughts

Something I thought of. When the TTR (time travelling racist) spoke to Ryan about "your kind" and that he was putting things right. It just occurred to me he might not have specifically meant black people but humans, maybe by his future time humanity has become so common across the galaxy that we are spreading tolerance, peace and acceptance everywhere and this has pissed him off.

He wants humanity put back in its place..

Also to me the singer at the end sounded like Adele till I looked up who it was.
            I also thought this haha!

Comment

Krasko = Skaro

Coincidence I think not
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                I'm not an expert on the period, but I'm fairly sure most young men in the mid 1950s went clean shaven, rather than bearded.
                I was going to say Beat Generation, but did an image search. They look like young Conservatives, except Ginsberg who looks like the prototype Hippy.

Comment

Originally posted by EricG View Post
                  I was going to say Beat Generation, but did an image search. They look like young Conservatives, except Ginsberg who looks like the prototype Hippy.
                  Yeah, the beard definatly did not belong.
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                  There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                    Yeah, sorry, but I had to point it out. This is exactly why People were all so up in arms against the new direction the Show is taking.
                    But is it actually new?
                    I mean, the Daleks are the ultimate form of racial purity, and they are hardly "new", are they?
                    Is it more -obvious- these days?
                    Sure.
                    But it's hardly a new direction.
                    I get the same vibe listening to critics of ST: Discovery
                    "Oh, it's all PC and SJW crap now"
                    In the late 60's, having a Russian, a Japanese a Black and interracial sexual relations was JUST as "SJW and PC" for the prevailing social conditions of the time, they just didn't have handy contractions for what they were seeing (or memes).
                    Being socially forward is something DW and Trek have ALWAYS done, it's not a "new direction" in the slightest.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      This one had a bit of a "Timeless" (NBC, Cancelled) feel to it; placing the Doctor and his companions into a pivotal point in history. I rather liked that.
                      Quantum Leap, anyone?

I didn't know Rosa's name, but certainly knew of her actions, even here in Australia.
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

3 episodes...

So - we are 3 episodes in, and... I'm accepting this new Doctor as much as I'm not, but I'm really still waiting for a blow-away episode.

If we just, for example, look at the modern era...

Eccelston - we had Rose, The End of the World, and The Unquiet Dead. Now - Rose can be a bit laborious on re-watch, and I don't sit down to watch TUD all that often, but TEOTW got a lot of mileage in the day. It added to the mystery of who the Doctor was, it threw spanners in the whole companion "story" by making Rose very uneasy about everything - plus giving us a fairly fun murder mystery.

Tennant - If we ignore Xmas... New Earth, Tooth and Claw, School Reunion - 3 fairly solid outings to introduce our new Doctor, with New Earth in particular giving us some interesting interactions between 10 and Rose brought about by Cassandra. By the next ep, Doc and Rose are absolutely on path to happily ever after. (Be that good or bad.)

Smith - Eleventh Hour, Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks. Ok - Spitfires in space was trash, but Beast Below actually gave me a lot of hope for this kid actor who was given the keys to my TARDIS. He proved himself to me, as well as Moffat's amazing talents at spinning a yarn.

Capaldi - Deep Breath, Into the Dalek, Robot of Sherwood - I loved Capaldi, though maybe wasn't keen on the direction they took his character til his final season. Regardless, these stories very much showed who this Doctor was going to be - a cross between 6 and err, well - 12.

Whitaker - We are 3 stories in, and... I don't feel desperate to see the next episode. I will watch - not saying I wont - but I can wait... Maybe it's the companion mix - or perhaps it's not the mix, rather just the lack of knowing enough about them...
                        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          Another thought I had and people bear with me here. This is just my thoughts

Something I thought of. When the TTR (time travelling racist) spoke to Ryan about "your kind" and that he was putting things right. It just occurred to me he might not have specifically meant black people but humans, maybe by his future time humanity has become so common across the galaxy that we are spreading tolerance, peace and acceptance everywhere and this has pissed him off.

He wants humanity put back in its place..

Also to me the singer at the end sounded like Adele till I looked up who it was.
                          That's what I thought too because...I really imagine that racism would take on a new form that far into the future. It'd be nice if we can explore that again.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          This one had a bit of a "Timeless" (NBC, Cancelled) feel to it; placing the Doctor and his companions into a pivotal point in history. I rather liked that.

I doubt we've seen the last of the villain either, but I half expected that he would have done something to alter the future from whatever point he was sent back to, so the fabric of "now" suddenly changed.
                          I really enjoyed this episode and it certainly did remind me of Timeless. I could easily see the team doing the very same thing...though they'd have no "Mexicans" . It's almost uncanny.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          But is it actually new?
                          I mean, the Daleks are the ultimate form of racial purity, and they are hardly "new", are they?
                          Is it more -obvious- these days?
                          Sure.
                          But it's hardly a new direction.
                          I get the same vibe listening to critics of ST: Discovery
                          "Oh, it's all PC and SJW crap now"
                          In the late 60's, having a Russian, a Japanese a Black and interracial sexual relations was JUST as "SJW and PC" for the prevailing social conditions of the time, they just didn't have handy contractions for what they were seeing (or memes).
                          Being socially forward is something DW and Trek have ALWAYS done, it's not a "new direction" in the slightest.
                          Were the previous modern seasons like this? I ask because I wouldn't even catch it in this episode...besides that one tiny little conversation Ryan and Jaz had.

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                          Quantum Leap, anyone?

I didn't know Rosa's name, but certainly knew of her actions, even here in Australia.
                          I am wondering if it is ignorant of me to be surprised that she is that big of a deal outside of the US....>.>

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                          3 episodes...

So - we are 3 episodes in, and... I'm accepting this new Doctor as much as I'm not, but I'm really still waiting for a blow-away episode.

If we just, for example, look at the modern era...

Eccelston - we had Rose, The End of the World, and The Unquiet Dead. Now - Rose can be a bit laborious on re-watch, and I don't sit down to watch TUD all that often, but TEOTW got a lot of mileage in the day. It added to the mystery of who the Doctor was, it threw spanners in the whole companion "story" by making Rose very uneasy about everything - plus giving us a fairly fun murder mystery.

Tennant - If we ignore Xmas... New Earth, Tooth and Claw, School Reunion - 3 fairly solid outings to introduce our new Doctor, with New Earth in particular giving us some interesting interactions between 10 and Rose brought about by Cassandra. By the next ep, Doc and Rose are absolutely on path to happily ever after. (Be that good or bad.)

Smith - Eleventh Hour, Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks. Ok - Spitfires in space was trash, but Beast Below actually gave me a lot of hope for this kid actor who was given the keys to my TARDIS. He proved himself to me, as well as Moffat's amazing talents at spinning a yarn.

Capaldi - Deep Breath, Into the Dalek, Robot of Sherwood - I loved Capaldi, though maybe wasn't keen on the direction they took his character til his final season. Regardless, these stories very much showed who this Doctor was going to be - a cross between 6 and err, well - 12.

Whitaker - We are 3 stories in, and... I don't feel desperate to see the next episode. I will watch - not saying I wont - but I can wait... Maybe it's the companion mix - or perhaps it's not the mix, rather just the lack of knowing enough about them...
                          Personally, blow away episodes have become way too much. I like this slow and steady build up. I am sure we'll get some heat pumping timey wimey nonsense, but I like it when it is paced out. I also like that the companions don't seem to be part of some world ending mystery of doom. That was getting ridiculous.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                            Is it me, or did we not really learn much about the villain of the week, or anything else about the new companions?

Feels like the villain was the last thing thought about in this episode and maybe it was too on the nose? I agree that the music at the end wasnt needed.

Still getting used to this Doctor but I feel like Im not as excited about Doctor Who anymore, maybe Im still adjusting to a new show runner, new composer, new style of writing. Definately sticking with it though!
                            I expected the villain to appear before the end of the season.

We can only speculate as to who he is. My thought: What if he's the son of The Master and Missy? I know that sounds weird, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is.
                            Last edited by pscard; 31 January 2019, 05:41 PM.
                            (Chosen One)

Comment

Like much of the season, this ‘baddy’ was very bland, uninteresting. I hope we never see him again.
                              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                Were the previous modern seasons like this? I ask because I wouldn't even catch it in this episode...besides that one tiny little conversation Ryan and Jaz had.
                                Quite a few, especially the last season of Capaldi's run as the Doctor. Even the older ones, especially the 7th and Ace put forward the notion of the companion being just as important as the Doctor. Rose created Jack being immortal, and Clara protected the doctor across his entire timeline up until her death.
                                Who has -always- had a hand in the social and political, much like Star trek has.
                                I am wondering if it is ignorant of me to be surprised that she is that big of a deal outside of the US....>.>
                                Sorta.
                                She's not as well known as MLK, but would you be surprised that MLK is well known outside the US?
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X