Rosa (3703 / 1103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosa (3703 / 1103)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 37 (11)
    ROSA
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3703 / 1103
    The TARDIS brings the Doctor and her companions to segregated Montgomery, Alabama, in the 1950s, where they discover that the future civil rights champion Rosa Parks is the target of a plot to change the course of history.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 21 October 2018, 08:15 PM.

Another solid 7/10 from me.

Hats off to the production design team for making present day South Africa look like 1955 Montgomery, Alabama.

The only thing I disliked was the song played at the end of the episode, "Rise Up" performed by Andra Day. Not to my tastes at all.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Is it me, or did we not really learn much about the villain of the week, or anything else about the new companions?

Feels like the villain was the last thing thought about in this episode and maybe it was too on the nose? I agree that the music at the end wasnt needed.

Still getting used to this Doctor but I feel like Im not as excited about Doctor Who anymore, maybe Im still adjusting to a new show runner, new composer, new style of writing. Definately sticking with it though!

Comment

Wow, they had to jump right into that SJW pit didnt they? I liked the Episode and it had some pretty funny lines at times. I think Jodie is going to do quite nicely in the future, if only she can get that stubborn Tardis to behave.

This is probably not the last we have seen of our racist future friend, so I dont mind that he got disposed of rather easily.

All in all I found it quite educational, as Austrian I heard the name Rosa Parks before, but never knew the complete Story and the fact that she even got a Asteroid named after her was a nice touch. Cant wait for next week-
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Now that was a brilliant episode. Heartfelt. The Doctor felt like the Doctor and more importantly in this case the Companions were integral to the experience. Bradley Walsh is still the stand out member of the team with how he clearly hates how he even needs to act like he fits in with the time but Ryan and Yaz still had their. I like how they didn't pretend like they aren't used to racism already, just that they aren't used to it on that scale. If the rest of the series is like this then I think Doctor Who is definitely back on track.

The one little niggle I had was how the end of the episode focused a lot on The Doctor's face as though it was this huge moment for HER. Which it shouldn't have been. Again that look of awe on her face over Rosa should have been reserved for Ryan or Yaz. Or, actually all four of them.

That being said I think I like how this Doctor seems to savor her experiences. She takes a lot more time to enjoy where she is. I mean she stayed a week or more in the present when she first met the others when she probably didn't need to and she lingered on the thought of Rosa Parks for a time.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
            Wow, they had to jump right into that SJW pit didnt they?
            I really hate that phrase.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

So the point of Krasko was? I saw no real reason why he was there. Just to be a space racist? I think a little clearer reason as to why he was there would have made the whole point of the Doctor being there make more sense.

I also was not crazy sure how I feel about the pop music in the scene where Rosa is arrested. I wonder if it would have been more powerful to have quiet or minimal music? I did enjoy Graham quite a bit in this episode.
              Last edited by gatechick; 21 October 2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

OMG I just finished this and what a brilliant episode. I was worried this could go sideways but it was handled so well. Had me feeling quite teary towards the end. Jodie is improving so much as The Doctor and yeah I'm going to watch this story again.

8.5/10

Oh and I didn't mind the song over the end credits, I felt that was rather fitting.

Another thought that I just realized is that it was the TARDIS herself that wanted them to be there and the old girl probably knew they were part of this moment, so had to be there. The TARDIS my friends knows all the moments the Doctor has to be there at the right place and time. We learnt this in "The Doctor's Wife."
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                  So the point of Krasko was? I saw no real reason why he was there. Just to be a space racist? I think a little clearer reason as to why he was there would have made the whole point of the Doctor being there make more sense.
                  The whole "White racist travelling to the past and trying to prevent the Civil Rights Movement" is a recognised sci-fi trope.

I can think of two novels with the theme.

"A Rebel in Time" by Harry Harrison, and "Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove.

Both are set during the American Civil War, and have White supremacists from the present day supplying the Confederates with advanced weaponry.

I also was not crazy sure how I feel about the pop music in the scene where Rosa is arrested. I wonder if it would have been more powerful to have quiet or minimal music? I did enjoy Graham quite a bit in this episode.
                  I would've gone with "A Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke.

But presumably it's cheaper to license the rights to a song that's only a couple of years old, rather than one that's almost as old as Doctor Who itself.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    I really hate that phrase.
                    Yeah, sorry, but I had to point it out. This is exactly why People were all so up in arms against the new direction the Show is taking. I think it was an awesome Episode, but I am just waiting for the screams of the People claiming this is not the Doctor anymore.

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    Another thought that I just realized is that it was the TARDIS herself that wanted them to be there and the old girl probably knew they were part of this moment, so had to be there. The TARDIS my friends knows all the moments the Doctor has to be there at the right place and time. We learnt this in "The Doctor's Wife."
                    One would think the Doctor knows quite well by now, that the TARDIS always has a good reason to stop at certain Times rather than the one she wants. Though the question would be then, did they accidently just ignore 13 places that would have needed their help?
                    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                      Though the question would be then, did they accidently just ignore 13 places that would have needed their help?
                      Well, my thoughts on this is it gives the writers of the various comic strips, comic books, and novels a bit of wiggle room for some "off screen" adventures.
                      sigpic

Comment

Another thought I had and people bear with me here. This is just my thoughts

Something I thought of. When the TTR (time travelling racist) spoke to Ryan about "your kind" and that he was putting things right. It just occurred to me he might not have specifically meant black people but humans, maybe by his future time humanity has become so common across the galaxy that we are spreading tolerance, peace and acceptance everywhere and this has pissed him off.

He wants humanity put back in its place..

Also to me the singer at the end sounded like Adele till I looked up who it was.
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

This one had a bit of a "Timeless" (NBC, Cancelled) feel to it; placing the Doctor and his companions into a pivotal point in history. I rather liked that.

I doubt we've seen the last of the villain either, but I half expected that he would have done something to alter the future from whatever point he was sent back to, so the fabric of "now" suddenly changed.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                            The whole "White racist travelling to the past and trying to prevent the Civil Rights Movement" is a recognised sci-fi trope.

I can think of two novels with the theme.

"A Rebel in Time" by Harry Harrison, and "Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove.

Both are set during the American Civil War, and have White supremacists from the present day supplying the Confederates with advanced weaponry.

I would've gone with "A Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke.

But presumably it's cheaper to license the rights to a song that's only a couple of years old, rather than one that's almost as old as Doctor Who itself.
                            I thought the villain was one of the most badly done in the history of Doctor Who. And the companions are becoming very tiresome, theres no forward momentum with their stories.

Just a comment about history. If I was one of the white passengers, I'd rather the bus go then wait around ages for the police. These days bus drivers in London won't call the police if someone doesn't pay because they don't want to delay anyone.
                            Last edited by GodAtum; 22 October 2018, 03:47 AM.
                            "You don't know half of it".
                            Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                            (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Krasko's facial hair bothered me.

I'm not an expert on the period, but I'm fairly sure most young men in the mid 1950s went clean shaven, rather than bearded.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X