sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Or no memory?
      That too
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        I'm not going to discuss the real world issues in this thread, it's not what its for, I'm just saying this episode was way over the top in preaching its political views. I don't watch TV for this kind of thing, but as I come from the right side of the spectrum, I have to ignore most of it, or I would have almost nothing to watch but if the creators of this show keep up the way they're going, I'm likely to stop watching.
        My point is that things can get very nasty in the real world when dealing with immigration, even something like refugee caravans where people want them shot. So what makes you think that wouldn't be more magnified in a world where actual extraterrestrials are living in hiding amongst us all, and have often participated in near apocalyptic plots who were only foiled thanks to Superman or more recently Supergirl?

Yes, their writing is bad when it comes to this kind of thing making them overly preachy, it's gotten better though. But the concept of the plot is sound and a logical step. The world was, after all, almost invaded by the Daxamites on top of everything else.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          My point is that things can get very nasty in the real world when dealing with immigration, even something like refugee caravans where people want them shot. So what makes you think that wouldn't be more magnified in a world where actual extraterrestrials are living in hiding amongst us all, and have often participated in near apocalyptic plots who were only foiled thanks to Superman or more recently Supergirl?

Yes, their writing is bad when it comes to this kind of thing making them overly preachy, it's gotten better though. But the concept of the plot is sound and a logical step. The world was, after all, almost invaded by the Daxamites on top of everything else.
          I don't know many who want the caravan members shot, I just want them denied entry, period. No BS, no excuses, no separation of families, no nothing. Just a plain, simple and enforced "Go away" is my suggested response. (But I will say I'm highly suspicious of the timing of that caravan, I think some political force is behind it.)

But in the universe of "Superman", extraterrestrials have given the population just cause to be suspicious of ET's. Granted, Superman & Supergirl have been overwhelmingly beneficial, aside from the occasional destructive ET that comes to hunt or fight them. Many of the ET's that have come to that world have had destruction on their mind, and it's reasonable for the population to be suspicious, particularly when the human population is basically defenseless against them. A Kryptonian who comes to earth can cause a great deal of harm, and unless the writers are cooperative, humans are powerless against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            I don't know many who want the caravan members shot, I just want them denied entry, period. No BS, no excuses, no separation of families, no nothing. Just a plain, simple and enforced "Go away" is my suggested response. (But I will say I'm highly suspicious of the timing of that caravan, I think some political force is behind it.)

But in the universe of "Superman", extraterrestrials have given the population just cause to be suspicious of ET's. Granted, Superman & Supergirl have been overwhelmingly beneficial, aside from the occasional destructive ET that comes to hunt or fight them. Many of the ET's that have come to that world have had destruction on their mind, and it's reasonable for the population to be suspicious, particularly when the human population is basically defenseless against them. A Kryptonian who comes to earth can cause a great deal of harm, and unless the writers are cooperative, humans are powerless against them.
            I see you have met my good friend. His name is "My Point".

Their failure so far is avoiding the dialog aspect of exploring this issue. The many aliens who are (though we don't know of any beyond the DEO, once again a shortcoming of the show's overly preaching approach) doing great deal of good out in the world. The ones who are motivating the Pro-Alien camp. The discussion of the costs versus the benefits. They expect the viewers to not care for that discussion and just spoon feed us what they want us to feel. Or rather, they simply preach to the choir.

I believe the X-Men have a lot to teach these writers.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              I see you have met my good friend. His name is "My Point".

Their failure so far is avoiding the dialog aspect of exploring this issue. The many aliens who are (though we don't know of any beyond the DEO, once again a shortcoming of the show's overly preaching approach) doing great deal of good out in the world. The ones who are motivating the Pro-Alien camp. The discussion of the costs versus the benefits. They expect the viewers to not care for that discussion and just spoon feed us what they want us to feel. Or rather, they simply preach to the choir.

I believe the X-Men have a lot to teach these writers.
              This topic is obviously going to be a season-long arc, it was continued in 403, "Man of Steel".
              With so many parallels to real-world politics, I don't know if we should continue discussions of these aspects here, or maybe start a Supergirl thread in the off-topic section. This week's episode painted Lockwood as a pretty sympathetic character, but I think that was their tendency to be over the top, rather than their intent.

Comment

Working...
              X