Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should there be more control on the SGC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should there be more control on the SGC?

It's the age old question. From Justice League to Captain America: Civil War. Does the superpower need management? The SGC and Earth has been bumbling around the galaxy for quite a while. And while it ultimately turned out good in the end, it did get worse at first and Earth nearly did burn for it. The government has created the IOA to try to manage things but they haven't done a really good job at it and have even screwed up on more than one occasion.

So, do you think the IOA should start cracking down on the SGC and Atlatnis?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

The IOA has its own agenda, as has been proven in various episodes. I do not think they would be capable of overseeing the SGC or SGA wisely. There is a bit too much competition in the IOA for top jobs, and that gets in the way of "overseeing" wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      The IOA has its own agenda, as has been proven in various episodes. I do not think they would be capable of overseeing the SGC or SGA wisely. There is a bit too much competition in the IOA for top jobs, and that gets in the way of "overseeing" wisely.
      Agreed, the IOA seems like a Game of Thrones environment.

As much as oversight is needed and required, I'm just not seeing how this can be applied practically. Most decisions made by the commanders are on-the-spot decisions that requires quick thinking and action. It is next to impossible to follow protocol for the simple reason that all the events happening in and around the Stargate are never the same, nor do they follow a predictable pattern. For instance, remember Woolsey and how anal he was about rules and protocols? How quickly did that change when ...

1. He was stranded on the Ori bug planet with SG1: Woolsey realizes improvisation is a big part of the job and protocol must sometime be left aside in order to survive.

2. He became the SGA expedition leader and 2-3 episodes after that, protocols were thrown out of the window. On a personal note, I think he was the best commander of Atlantis.

Perhaps having a regular ''observer'' simply shadowing the leaders on a daily basis could be decent oversight. Might be annoying to have someone tailing you all day. Just looking at decisions + outcome from an external perspective will always make the SGC leaders look bad, you've got to be there in the heat of the moment.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Ok, so how should the IOA conduct itself or reform itself to keep an eye on the SGC and how much power should it have?

sigpic
        Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
        https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
          Ok, so how should the IOA conduct itself or reform itself to keep an eye on the SGC and how much power should it have?
          Well right off the bat the IOA should have a more diverse panel, a military advisor would be a good start. You need people with actual field experience / expertise to consider all the angles, not just bureaucrats. Furthermore, from what we've seen in all SG shows, it seems that the IOA kind of sits on its ass until sh*t hits the fan to call for an urgent summit and review of a leader's decisions. It's just plain stupid, what's the point of oversight if its done sporadically like that?

Weekly / monthly reports should be made available to whom it may concern, outlining what needs to be improved and what's going well. Most importantly, the IOA needs a SGC ''Ambassador'' to weight in the decisions, could be Major Lorne, O'Neill (which is hardly doubtful considering how much he hates these folks), could be anyone that has significant experiences and been through a few ''events''.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            Perhaps having a regular ''observer'' simply shadowing the leaders on a daily basis could be decent oversight. Might be annoying to have someone tailing you all day. Just looking at decisions + outcome from an external perspective will always make the SGC leaders look bad, you've got to be there in the heat of the moment.
            Like Merrick in Ark of Truth?
            I think it’ll be a long time before the SGC trusts the IOA after that.

Comment

In reality? hell yea. I know that if the show showed competent IOA it would be a very different show. But in realistic terms? The SGC has way too much power, essentially the power to shape galactic relations as they see fit.

Comment

Working...
              X