Chief Master Sergeant

Default Planetary Stargate versus Space Stargate?

Could someone remind me of the reason and scenarios of the existence of stargates in space or orbit as compared to planetary stargates, and why the Ancients would have placed some in space?
    And what was the purpose of placing the original stargate on Earth in Antarctica?

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Default Re: Planetary Stargate versus Space Stargate?

I don't think it was explicitly stated if the Ancients were the ones who put the gates in space or the reasons, but I can think of several. One is for scientific research. If there were primitives on a planet that the Ancients wanted to watch, they could put a gate in space so that it won't interfere with the natives and then they could just gate through with a cloaked jumper.

Another I can think of is to for wraith culling. The wraith made sure there were no societies that could have space travel. Then they put gates in space either on their world or on a culling world. That means that their flock either cannot follow them back to their planet or can't escape from the culling planet. (I think this is probably the biggest reason since we haven't seen space gates in Milky Way)

The Antarctic stargate was there because there used to be an Ancient outpost in Antarctica. It was abandoned and the gate was left behind.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Default Re: Planetary Stargate versus Space Stargate?

Quote Originally Posted by StargateMillennium View Post
    I don't think it was explicitly stated if the Ancients were the ones who put the gates in space or the reasons, but I can think of several. One is for scientific research. If there were primitives on a planet that the Ancients wanted to watch, they could put a gate in space so that it won't interfere with the natives and then they could just gate through with a cloaked jumper.

Another I can think of is to for wraith culling. The wraith made sure there were no societies that could have space travel. Then they put gates in space either on their world or on a culling world. That means that their flock either cannot follow them back to their planet or can't escape from the culling planet. (I think this is probably the biggest reason since we haven't seen space gates in Milky Way)
    I'd agree with this completely.

Quote Originally Posted by StargateMillennium View Post
    The Antarctic stargate was there because there used to be an Ancient outpost in Antarctica. It was abandoned and the gate was left behind.
    Not just that - several million years ago, Atlantis itself sat on the spot where Antarctica is today. When they launched the city and went to Pegasus, they left the gate behind. I don't know if it was ever explicitly stated, but I presume that they left it there so that they could go back easily/without having to make an intergalactic flight.

12345678War910111213

The Last Great Time War