Can Wraith “taste” with their hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Wraith “taste” with their hand?

In “The Queen” when Todd offers the Atlantis team the bowls of fruit he says “I hope they prove as delicious as the farmers who grew them.” This implies that when they feed they can taste the humans they’re feeding on. Unless Todd in his wonderfully sarcastic way was just using that analogy as a joke to poke at the humans. But if he was serious, would humans taste different based on age? Gender? Race? Even Shawn in “Condemned” said “Your previous chef unfortunately proved to be far more appetising than the meals he prepared.” Again implying they can taste. If there is already a thread discussing this please point me to it. I don’t want to rehash old conversations unnecessarily. I did a search on the forum but didn’t find what I was looking for.
    Thanks.

The pilot provides a unambiguous example of this when the Keeper is feeding on Sumner:

WRAITH: I think not. Kneel. (Sumner doesn't move. She reaches towards his head. He grabs for her hand but she runs a fingernail down the side of his face. Her voice echoes in his mind.) Kneel. (Sumner falls to his knees.) I have not tasted such strength in so long. (She reaches down and rips his shirt open.)
    "The Defiant One" also mentions taste:

WRAITH: Do you think I'm a fool, Major Sheppard? There's nowhere for you to go on this world. Let me upon you. I will savour the taste of your defiance.
    There's even another line from "Condemned" which mirrors that bit about being able to taste defiance:

I have enjoyed a steady stream of humans for my consumption -- and the taste of their defiance is sweet.
    And one interpretation for Runners is that they are humans who taste the best and so setting them loose and hunting them is not a fun/training exercise, it's a reward to be savored. This fits with the aforementioned theme of strength/defiance being something they can taste. So we at least know that will power affects taste.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 16 March 2024, 08:13 AM.

Comment

It might not even be 'taste. Could it just be some type of euphoria they experience from feeding? I mean, the human body experiences euphoria for different things and we give each one a different name based on what we're doing at the time. Maybe the 'taste' is just the euphoria from the feeding.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
        The pilot provides a unambitious example of this when the Keeper is feeding on Sumner:

"The Defiant One" also mentions taste:

There's even another line from "Condemned" which mirrors that bit about being able to taste defiance:

For those, I interpret the use of “taste” as being more figuratively than literally. As in someone saying they can taste victory. More of a mental satisfaction than actual taste as in consumption of something with different flavors. Though, with the Wraiths’ psychic abilities, maybe to them it translates into the same thing in a way humans can’t know.

And one interpretation for Runners is that they are humans who taste the best and so setting them loose and hunting them is not a fun/training exercise, it's a reward to be savored. This fits with the aforementioned theme of strength/defiance being something they can taste. So we at least know that will power affects taste.
        This seems more in line with actual taste as humans who hunt often say the more fear and stress the animal is under, the better the flesh tastes. I personally do not believe in hunting and do not eat animals so I will never be able to attest to this, nor would I want to. But if true, it’s probably where this idea came from.

Comment

The way it looks in episodes is, shall we say, an orgasm …….

Comment

Originally posted by Starrchild View Post
            This seems more in line with actual taste as humans who hunt often say the more fear and stress the animal is under, the better the flesh tastes. I personally do not believe in hunting and do not eat animals so I will never be able to attest to this, nor would I want to. But if true, it’s probably where this idea came from.
            The hunters I know say this is a myth perpetuated by edgier hunters to sound more badass. The idea of making an animal suffer before killing them is considered taboo among hunters.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
              The hunters I know say this is a myth perpetuated by edgier hunters to sound more badass. The idea of making an animal suffer before killing them is considered taboo among hunters.
              Good to know some hunters have ethics...if one can think of hunting as ethical in the first place unless it’s a true matter of survival.
              But even if just a myth, some of the writers probably heard of it too, whereby it probably played a hand (pun intended ) in the way those Wraith thought.

Comment

I saw how the Hoff virus was able to prevent the Wraith from feeding, and had wondered whether there were protective clothes a person could wear instead since the wraith seems to only be able to feed by attaching to the chest. Maybe a substance that would burn or ruin the organ of feeding in the right hand.

Comment

Most humans are fed on after being captured and taken back to a ship, so in that situation it's just a minor annoyance to the first Wraith that tried to feed on someone wearing protection. After that the Wraith will either kill the person (or the group that person was brought in with) or figure it out and remove the clothing before the next Wraith feeds.

It might at first save a couple of people's lives in the field where a Wraith needs/wants to feed right then and doesn't bother to use a stunner first. In which case, the Wraith's pain reaction might provide the person the opportunity to get back up and continue fighting.

In either case, though, it wouldn't be long before the Wraith do figure out what is hurting them and once that happens they'll just make sure to remove all clothing/a specific device before feeding. So essentially someone will have to devote a lot of man power, time, and resources to develop something (assuming we're talking about a high tech solution and not just existing armor coated in some sort of abrasive solution or poison) that has a very limited short-term use before it becomes ineffective.

Comment

Reminds me of that old SGA Comic where for all intents and purposes the Wraith have set up a "Restaraunt" for specially preparing humans to be feed on.
                    I like Sharky
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                      Reminds me of that old SGA Comic where for all intents and purposes the Wraith have set up a "Restaraunt" for specially preparing humans to be feed on.
                      I never saw that comic. Sounds great. ??

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                        I saw how the Hoff virus was able to prevent the Wraith from feeding, and had wondered whether there were protective clothes a person could wear instead since the wraith seems to only be able to feed by attaching to the chest. Maybe a substance that would burn or ruin the organ of feeding in the right hand.
                        I was never sure just how the Hoffan virus prevented a Wraith from actually feeding. The transmission of the virus through the feeding process is completely plausible. But a virus actually preventing the feeding from even happening is odd. The feeding mechanism in the Wraith’s hand can still function. There is no physical barrier preventing them from latching on.
                        Then when Steve was first poisoned, it took him a little while before his body began to shut down. By later episodes the virus suddenly killed Wraith instantly.
                        With regards to burning or otherwise injuring the feeding hand, wouldn’t it just heal itself? When the Keeper’s hand was shot while feeding on Sumner, it just healed right away (since she had just fed this was almost instantaneous).

Comment

I was never sure just how the Hoffan virus prevented a Wraith from actually feeding. The transmission of the virus through the feeding process is completely plausible. But a virus actually preventing the feeding from even happening is odd. The feeding mechanism in the Wraith’s hand can still function. There is no physical barrier preventing them from latching on.
                          Then when Steve was first poisoned, it took him a little while before his body began to shut down. By later episodes the virus suddenly killed Wraith instantly.
                          With regards to burning or otherwise injuring the feeding hand, wouldn’t it just heal itself? When the Keeper’s hand was shot while feeding on Sumner, it just healed right away (since she had just fed this was almost instantaneous).
                          The Hoffan drug stops the feeding by neutralizing chemicals injected into the body during feeding. It's like if your food had a barrier that didn't allow stomach acid to touch it. It killed the wraith because it ended up not only neutralizing but reacting with and producing a new chemical that would get absorbed by the wraith hand and would poison the wraith system.

sigpic

Comment

I never saw that comic. Sounds great. ??

Sadly. It was only OK at best.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                              The Hoffan drug stops the feeding by neutralizing chemicals injected into the body during feeding. It's like if your food had a barrier that didn't allow stomach acid to touch it. It killed the wraith because it ended up not only neutralizing but reacting with and producing a new chemical that would get absorbed by the wraith hand and would poison the wraith system.
                              Sounds like if olestra broke down into poison once in the bloodstream.
                              Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Working...
                              X