Social Credit System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    That is because what makes it work has not been invented yet. Practically unlimited energy supplies combined with matter-energy conversion.
    Well yes exactly. Practically all roles that we would consider tedious work by today's standards are near null and void by the 24th Century. Intelligent computer systems can easily replace drivers and manufacturers. Replicators can provide both goods and food for practically all every day needs. Transporters take all time out of both travel and movement of cargo. Menial jobs are therefore reduced to those who perform a maintenance role. Engineers essentially. Which may explain why there are so many apparent Engineers in starfleet who are NonComs like O'Brien.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      Well yes exactly. Practically all roles that we would consider tedious work by today's standards are near null and void by the 24th Century. Intelligent computer systems can easily replace drivers and manufacturers. Replicators can provide both goods and food for practically all every day needs. Transporters take all time out of both travel and movement of cargo. Menial jobs are therefore reduced to those who perform a maintenance role. Engineers essentially. Which may explain why there are so many apparent Engineers in starfleet who are NonComs like O'Brien.
      That's part of it. But unlimited energy and matter-energy conversion translate to unlimited quantities of resources. With unlimited access, there is no need to compete for them.

Comment

That's part of it. But unlimited energy and matter-energy conversion translate to unlimited quantities of resources. With unlimited access, there is no need to compete for them.
        Yes. And while starships were highly energy efficient they weren't unlimited in this area...they still needed fuel in the form of antimatter to drive the production of the needed energy. This is why access to even simple replicators was heavily rationed in Voyager...they were stranded far from any viable sources of antimatter and needed to conserve as much energy as possible.

Comment

Indeed. Although I've always figured that matter replication still, at least in its most efficient form, still require raw material to be put in and the closer the raw material is in composition to what you want to get out of it the less energy it takes to make it. So say if you want to make say a metal chair in an industrial replicator it'll do it faster and more efficiently if you simply give it the desired quantity of the correct metal already.

Comment

Indeed. Although I've always figured that matter replication still, at least in its most efficient form, still require raw material to be put in and the closer the raw material is in composition to what you want to get out of it the less energy it takes to make it. So say if you want to make say a metal chair in an industrial replicator it'll do it faster and more efficiently if you simply give it the desired quantity of the correct metal already.
            As I understand it, Trek is able to take raw energy, possibly generated by antimatgter as its starships are powered with and convert it direct to matter of whatever sort. Pattern in on one end, ribeye steak or barroom stool out the other.

Why would they need the desired type of metal, or any other matter as raw materials?

Comment

As I understand it, Trek is able to take raw energy, possibly generated by antimatgter as its starships are powered with and convert it direct to matter of whatever sort. Pattern in on one end, ribeye steak or barroom stool out the other.

Why would they need the desired type of metal, or any other matter as raw materials?
              They don't NEED to but surely it takes less energy to reconfigure the atomic structure of something when the raw material is already there than simply creating it out of energy.

Additionally it should be pointed out that it is not required to have a matter / anti-matter reaction since as far as can be ascertained they only exist aboard starships. Planets tend to be powered by fusion generators.

Comment

They don't NEED to but surely it takes less energy to reconfigure the atomic structure of something when the raw material is already there than simply creating it out of energy.

Additionally it should be pointed out that it is not required to have a matter / anti-matter reaction since as far as can be ascertained they only exist aboard starships. Planets tend to be powered by fusion generators.
                Why? Wouldn't be even more effort? The converter is set up to accept energy or matter, which, we don't know. If energy, it just uses it. If matter, it would covert any matter to energy before replicating it into whatever.

Why go to the trouble of having the front end set up to accept and directly convert various materials? The routines used to convert a metal chair into metal would have to be unique, different from those used to covert wood to wood, etc. Be easier just to convert everything to raw energy & use that.

Comment

Yeah similar principles to the transporter (transporter = matter to energy and back again, barring any malfunctions) which is why Moriarty theorized he could use it to become solid (didn't work likely because he wasn't made of matter to begin with)

Comment

Fusion reactors aren't unlimited either....they need fuel as well...in the form of raw thermonuclear material with which to initiate nuclear fusion reactions

Comment

However land on Earth is finite.
                      "You don't know half of it".
                      Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                      (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                        However land on Earth is finite.
                        That's not where Annoyed was going.
                        All he is speaking to here is unlimited power, with the ability to manipulate what we do with said power.
                        Why would we just stay here with such technology?
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I think though that the modern Federation still has an economy of sorts, just one where the medium of exchange is perhaps some kind of bartering system rather than a monetary one, with some way of determining a "cash value" of sorts for their goods and services when doing business with societies that still operate according to a monetary medium of exchange, such as the Ferengi. That's what these "credits" I've heard mentioned in the series could be, a "cash value" determination of sorts of their own goods and services.

The Malon in the Delta Quadrant I presume would be another example of a society still using some form of monetary exchange as the captains, or "controllers" in Malon parlance, of their "garbage scows" (theta radiation waste export vessels) refer to "profits. I can only surmise that they lack much intelligence in business matters based on Emck's assertion that the technology to harness the radiation as a source of energy offered by Voyager in exchange for access to the Void's spatial vortex (and presumably some general information that the Malon may have had like navigational data and cultural information and such, the kind of information that would interest explorers) would have put the waste export industry out of business. Whereas I surmise that Emck, after duly compensating Voyager for the technology, could've seen his profits increase even more as the tech would've allowed him to reduce his operational expenses even further, possibly totally undercutting all his competitors, and/or could've sold the plans on how to manufacture the technology to his competitors or even to Malon society at large for a hefty enough profit to retire on. Emck's assertion that Voyager would've been no match for his garbage scow is also not certain although I suppose that Voyager was built more for exploration than actual wartime combat, with no way of making it war ready, being over several tens of thousands of light years from the nearest Federation starbase after all. It is also uncertain what weapons technology the Malon military, if such existed, could've brought to bear. It appeared to me though, that Voyager was more than up to the task of "taking out the garbage," as Janeway put it. Emck's mind, and possibly other crew members working on such vessels, could've made those assertions because of being addled by slow radiation poisoning. Again though it could be possible that they simply lack both a profitable business sense and a devastating unawareness of being quite horribly outclassed and outgunned.

Comment

Working...
                          X