Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What non sci-fi/fantasy book are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books by Clive Cussler about Dirk Pitt and the NUMA organization. Recently read "Black Wind" about a Korean millionaire who wants to take over the world, and uses a deadly gas created by the Japanese during World War II that has been retrieved from a sunken Japanese submarine and is going to use it on the United States. Cussler has a very devious imagination, given the subject of some of his books.

Am currently reading Trojan Odyssey (also by Cussler), that starts with a hurricane in the Atlantic bigger than any ever recorded. Also discoveries made in the Caribbean that relate back several thousand years. Also discovery of tunnels being built between the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean for nefarious purposes. Dirk Pitt and his two grown children, along with a cast of other good (and bad) characters attempt to solve these mysteries and stop more destruction.
    Last edited by hedwig; 19 October 2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

The Judas Conspiracy by Robert B. Williams

One of the coins that was supposedly given to Judas has been found at the British Museum, and a lot of people want it for the power it is supposed to contain. Descendants of the Templar Society want it, a thief has been conned into stealing it, and a historian at the museum is dragged into the theft by the charming thief. The last two are then chased all over London and then to Europe and then to Iceland by various factions trying to get it. Lots of intrigue, danger, adventure, as well as humor and silliness.

Comment

That sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye open for it next time I'm at the library.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          The Judas Conspiracy by Robert B. Williams

One of the coins that was supposedly given to Judas has been found at the British Museum, and a lot of people want it for the power it is supposed to contain. Descendants of the Templar Society want it, a thief has been conned into stealing it, and a historian at the museum is dragged into the theft by the charming thief. The last two are then chased all over London and then to Europe and then to Iceland by various factions trying to get it. Lots of intrigue, danger, adventure, as well as humor and silliness.
          And the film plot writes itself...

I could easily see this as a good old fashioned film, like The Da Vinci Code.

I'm reading: The Art of Armor Making (cosplay related)
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            And the film plot writes itself...

I could easily see this as a good old fashioned film, like The Da Vinci Code.
            That's what I was thinking when I read it. Kind of like the Da Vinci Code, but not so deep and much shorter read.

Comment

I'm reading through the Longmire series. (Again. I do it every year and then read the newest book.) Just finished Kindness Goes Unpunished and getting ready to re-read Another Man’s Moccasins. I like the action in the books and the humor Walt displays. I also like the cast of characters in the books since they have been so well developed.

Comment

I just started Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and already love it.
                I heard her speach at the Frankfurt book fair and looked up her novels since I knew the ones about feminism. Strong women always fascinate me
                sigpic

Comment

"Death Comes First" by Hillary Bonner.

Six months after her husband's death in a yachting accident, Joyce Mildmay receives a letter from the grave. Her late husband warning her to take their three children and leave, get as far away from her father Henry Tanner (and the family business) as possible...
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

"Steps to the Gallows" by Edward Marston.

Second in the "Bow Street Rivals" series of crime novels set in early 19th century London, and featuring twin brothers Peter and Paul Skillen, freelance thieftakers.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Secret of Excalibur, the 3rd in a series of books by Andy McDermott. The series follow Nina Wilde (an archaeologist) and Eddie Chase (a kind of protector for hire) as they go around the world hunting for proof that various myths are actually true and not myth. In so doing, they are constantly running afoul of bad guys who want the same thing, but for nefarious reasons. They keep getting captured, injured, escaping. In other words, nearly non-stop action. I like these books. I've been buying them for a Kindle Fire, which I was recently given. Much less expensive that way.

Comment

Just finished "All That Remains" by Sue Black.
                        She's a forensic anthropologist and it's kind of her autobiography. A truly amazing book about death - not at all depressing
                        sigpic

Comment

"The Star of India" by Carole Buggé.

One of "The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" series by various authors, and published by Titan Books.
                          sigpic

Comment

I‘m in the middle of „Becoming“ and I love it.

Before that I read „Educated“ by Tara Westover.
                            Now that was the best book I‘ve read in a long, long time.
                            sigpic

Comment

"Closed Casket" by Sophie Hannah.

Second in a series of new Hercule Poirot mysteries, fully authorised and approved by the Agatha Christie estate.
                              sigpic

Comment

"Scoundrels" by Duncan Crowe and James Peak.

Being the memoirs of the disreputable, antagonistic and unreconstructed Majors Victor Cornwall and St. John Trevelyan.

Very similar in tone and humour to the Flashman novels of George MacDonald Fraser.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X