Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What non sci-fi/fantasy book are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Overlord" by David L. Golemon. One in a series of books about the Event Group that investigates myths to see if they are true and if they are they bring artifacts back to their facility based under Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada. This one is about an alien attack on earth that we knew for six years that it was coming and we have been preparing for. The battle scenes had me actually holding my breath because they were so intense. Some very sad moments in it, but also some very good scenes as well. For once, almost the entire world comes together to battle the aliens.

Comment

Dipping in and out of "Tales of Britain" by Brother Bernard, as told to Jem Roberts.

Jem Roberts was a guest on Cerys Matthews' show on BBC Radio 6 Music a couple of Sundays ago, I thought the book sounded interesting so I bought it.

It's a collection of folktales and myths associated with the British Isles, and "retold for the 21st century" - or as the late Sir Terry Pratchett would've put it "mucked about with".

I genuinely don't understand why the author has gone to such great lengths of tracking down the earliest known iteration of a story - for example "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" originally taking place in the North of Scotland, and Goldilocks actually being a fox - then rewriting it for a "modern" audience.

Soon as I finish it, it's going in a bag of charity donations.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

"Forgotten: The Untold Story of D-Day's Black Heroes" by Linda Hervieux.

In the early hours of June 6th, 1944, the 320th Barrage Balloon Battalion, a unit of African American soldiers, landed on the beaches of France. Their orders were to man a curtain of armed balloons meant to deter enemy aircraft. One member of the 320th would be nominated for the Medal of Honor, an award he would never receive. The nation's highest decoration was not given to black soldiers in the Second World War.

Drawing on newly uncovered military records and dozens of original interviews with surviving members of the 320th and their families, Linda Hervieux tells the story of these heroic men. In England and Europe, they discovered freedom they had not known in a homeland that treated them as second-class citizens - experiences they carried back to America, fuelling the budding civil rights movement.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

"The Cinema As Art" by Ralph Stevenson & Jean R. Debrix

Details filmmaking as an artform and discusses the many ways of filming, techniques, timing, cutting and editing.

Can't remember where I found the book but it's heaven to read. Everything that interests me in film, described with examples.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

"Sea of Greed" by Clive Cussler and Graham Brown.

Book 16 in the "NUMA Files" series of techno thrillers featuring the NUMA Special Projects Team led by Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala.
            sigpic

Comment

Richard Castle - Nikki Heat

I kid you not.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

I kid you not.
                I've read a couple of the "Derek Storm" novels, and ohhh they're bad
                But that's the whole point, Rick Castle's novels are trashy action stories.
                sigpic

Comment

"The Black Book" by M.J. Trow.

A non-fiction book examining the Nazi's infamous Sonderfahndungsliste - the Special Search List Great Britain.

As with most books of its kind, the author assumes you know next to nothing about WWII and wastes around 50 or 60 pages giving background to stuff you already know about.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                    I've read a couple of the "Derek Storm" novels, and ohhh they're bad
                    But that's the whole point, Rick Castle's novels are trashy action stories.
                    I'd be seriously disappointed if they weren't all that and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

I kid you not.
                      I picked up several of them a few years ago at a garage sale.. Haven't had time to read them though.
                      I hope they're quite like the series.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        "The Black Book" by M.J. Trow.

A non-fiction book examining the Nazi's infamous Sonderfahndungsliste - the Special Search List Great Britain.

As with most books of its kind, the author assumes you know next to nothing about WWII and wastes around 50 or 60 pages giving background to stuff you already know about.
                        Any recommendation for WW2 books, more specifically books focused around the secret warfare? I've read A man called Intrepid and very much enjoyed it.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          Any recommendation for WW2 books, more specifically books focused around the secret warfare? I've read A man called Intrepid and very much enjoyed it.
                          Das Boot, (which was made into a movie)

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            Das Boot, (which was made into a movie)
                            Thanks.
                            Spoiler:
                            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                              "Operation Mincemeat" by Ben Macintyre.
                              "The Phantom Army of Alamein: How the Camouflage Unit and Operation Bertram Hoodwinked Rommel" by Rick Stroud.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                                I picked up several of them a few years ago at a garage sale.. Haven't had time to read them though.
                                I hope they're quite like the series.
                                Oh, they are...

Finished Moby Dick over the weekend, so added The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas to the pile of 9 (books I'm currently reading).

Comment

Working...
                                X