Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What non sci-fi/fantasy book are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What non sci-fi/fantasy book are you reading?

What ho!

There didn't appear to be a thread for discussing what non sci-fi/fantasy books we're reading, so I thought I'd start one.

Currently, I'm reading "Origin" by Dan Brown.

Fifth book in the Professor Robert Landgon series, from the author of "The Da Vinci Code".

Being honest, I'm struggling. He's a bit long winded for my tastes.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

What do you class as non fantasy and non scifi?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Crime/police procedurals. Medical thrillers. Military fiction. Historical. Non-fiction biographies.

That kind of stuff.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I think the last book I read in that vein (forgive the pun) was Patricia Cornwell, or perhaps Clive Cussler.
        sigpic

Comment

Quite like a bit of Clive Cussler now and again. Particularly his "Isaac Bell" series.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            Quite like a bit of Clive Cussler now and again. Particularly his "Isaac Bell" series.
            Ehh, I'm old school, I like Dirk Pitt.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm reading Herman Melville's Moby Dick.

I had no idea how strange it would be, but I do like it. It's my Kindle app book, which I basically read whenever I have to wait in line somewhere. It's on my phone.

And a book about film history.

And the other 2 are fantasy books: Harry Potter and Temeraire.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Ehh, I'm old school, I like Dirk Pitt.
                Funnily enough, the 1970s movie adaptation of "Raise the Titanic" was on TV a couple of days ago.

I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet.

Don't recall seeing it at the cinema at the time, I think the distributors pulled it before it got to my town.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  What ho!

There didn't appear to be a thread for discussing what non sci-fi/fantasy books we're reading, so I thought I'd start one.

Currently, I'm reading "Origin" by Dan Brown.

Fifth book in the Professor Robert Landgon series, from the author of "The Da Vinci Code".

Being honest, I'm struggling. He's a bit long winded for my tastes.
                  I've read all of his books and liked most of them. Origin spent way too much time on the explanatory stuff as far as I was concerned. I liked his previous books better. And, yes, he is a bit long winded.

Comment

I'm a big fan of James Rollins who has a series of books about the Sigma Force, which is a group of covert operatives who go around the world trying to discover and stop people trying to take over the world, and in those endeavors often explore many centuries old mysteries involved in their cases. Some of the cases also involved mysteries in the United States. Rollins also has a several stand-alone books that are quite good too.

Steve Berry is another author I like. He has a series of books about a guy named Cotton Malone, who is a retired military agent, who has moved to Copenhagen and opened a rare book store, and is constantly getting involved in international intrigue and danger. There are several other characters that are frequently involved in these cases with him.

I recently came across a book title "Ice" by Kevin Tinto, which turned out to be the first book in a trilogy. I have also read the 2d book in the series called "Ice Genesis", both of which are very good.

They involve an archaeologist who has discovered something intriguing in the Southwest desert regarding how and why the Anasazi disappeared completely from the area. The clue leads to a place in Antarctica where all sorts of danger, death, intrigue and such happen, and nearly starts World War III with the Russians. The 2d book explains what this is. And the 3rd book will explore what eventually happens and concludes the trilogy. My description is crappy, but the books have been well worth reading and I'm sure the 3rd will be too.

There is another series of books by Greig Beck about a man called The Arcadian, who after having been shot and thought dead develops what amounts to superhuman powers, and gets involved in weird events around the world and how to stop/fix/correct them. There is quite a nice assortment of supportive characters in the books, of which there are 7 books so far.
                    Last edited by hedwig; 16 October 2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Ah, great thread

Since I cannot be in Scotland this year, I surrounded me with Scottish books ...
                      Currently I'm halfway through "Broken Ground" by Val McDermid. It's her 5th book with Karen Pirie from the historic case unit of Edinburgh police.
                      I love the McDermid books and I'm not disappointed by this one.
                      sigpic

Comment

One series I really enjoyed was Ellis Peter's Cadfael books. If you like murder mysteries, they are a ton of fun.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I gave up on Dan Brown's "Origin". Just wasn't doing anything for me.

Now onto "The Burial Hour" by Jeffery Deaver. Thirteenth novel in the Lincoln Rhyme series of crime/forensics thrillers.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just starting "Even Dogs in the Wild" by Ian Rankin.

Twentieth in the "Inspector Rebus" series of crime novels set in Edinburgh.

A former Scottish senior prosecutor has been found dead. DI Siobhan Clarke and a retired John Rebus are called on to investigate the prosecutor's death. Meanwhile DI Malcolm Fox is drafted into a surveillance team monitoring a group of Glaswegian gangsters who look set to move on Edinburgh.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm currently reading "Fear" by Bob Woodward.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X