Hive Ship environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hive Ship environment?

Does anyone know if it was ever mentioned in cannon what the hive ship’s environmental conditions were? I know there was usually a layer or mist at ground level, but I don’t recall any mention of whether the interiors were warm or cool, dry or humid. The mist/fog would suggest some level of humidity. But if the air temps were cool, then just the warmth theoretically produced by the living ship my be enough to create the fog.

I could never understand how can they fly in with ships. Then has the inner "shipyard" got atmosphere / breathable air? So do the Darts fly out into space through some isolation chambers / doors?
    Last edited by Platschu; 11 September 2018, 03:29 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Maybe they do have some kind of energy shield to keep the atmosphere in but let the dart's matter through. Like Atlantis's shield that "recongnises" incoming and outgoing puddle jumpers. The travellers also have shields in their flight bay. That's a good question! We've never actually seen whether the darts pass through an isolation chamber.

As for the environmental conditions, it hasn't been specifically stated in the show as far as I know. Depending on whether you consider the Legacy books as canon (opinions vary strongly on this topic) the conditions are described as cool if I remember correctly.

Comment

i would guess it has to do with static fields or some sort of membrane

Comment

perhaps some sort of actual portal that pushes matter inwards towards the ship with enough force the darts have to fly at fairly high speeds to get out?

Comment

That would be moght thought as well. Sort of like the way theybuse a force field in the Star Trek shows as a way to create viewing areas in the lounge and I think in their shuttle bays as well. It would seem likely that Wraith tech could have something similar.

Comment

it could be as "simple" as a antigravity field or rather reverse gravity field that repels matter and perhaps is what they use as thier ships primary engine for landing on planets, sort of how we use fans for many purposesfrom air conditioning, to on the more advanced spectrum and higher materials to act as the fans in turbo jets

Comment

then again they may have really thin atmosphere in the hangers and depend on the natural gravity, or unnatural gravity of the ship to keep the thin atmosphere on the side of the hanger they use to walk through to hte ships, it may be very thin and perhaps helps keep people unconscious when first brought on board etc, the humans who do board those ships may be more panicky because of it and even though the air force trains for that especially for hte sg teams they may have been affected by it as well

Comment

The Wraith do have primitive shield tech. They don't have a power source that would let them surround an entire ship in one, but we saw a replicator trapped in a Wraith field in one episode. While plausible that they could use that on their dart bays, we've never seen it in action and it's not particularly consistent with what we have seen. We know, after all, that if there was a shield it's not keyed to let only certain signatures through because jumpers and a 302 have gotten through without a problem. We also know that it's not a catch-all one way shield like the one the Tok'ra shared with Earth because there's been rapid movement back and forth from/to those dart bays. It would have to be a shield designed to let all matter through, but keep air trapped, which we've never seen before.

Comment

Working...
                  X