Military living off base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military living off base

I suppose the SGC is unique, but do the staff all live off base rather then inside? Is being there considered part of a tour of duty where you cannot go home? For example, do the SG teams spend 6 months on a tour of duty in the SGC, then go back home?
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Good question. Sam, Jack, Daniel and Janet all go to their own homes when off duty. So does General Hammond. So I would think that other SG units would do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Good question. Sam, Jack, Daniel and Janet all go to their own homes when off duty. So does General Hammond. So I would think that other SG units would do the same.
      I'm not familiar with US military procedures, but I guess it's counted as a home tour like working the Pentagon and going home every night?
      "You don't know half of it".
      Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
      (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
        I'm not familiar with US military procedures, but I guess it's counted as a home tour like working the Pentagon and going home every night?
        Yes a tour at "SGC" would technically be a non overseas tour for purposes of US military pay and allowances. The personnel would have a work day and be "off duty" when not actively doing their normal work day so yes they would go home if they were allowed to live off base, i.e. married. Single personnel would live in a barracks somewhere on base and be allowed liberty when not on duty.

S.S.

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
          I suppose the SGC is unique, but do the staff all live off base rather then inside? Is being there considered part of a tour of duty where you cannot go home? For example, do the SG teams spend 6 months on a tour of duty in the SGC, then go back home?
          So in the US Military their are some rules for living off base. 1st depends on the base some bases like training centers do not provide any on base housing and all personnel would live off base. 2nd rule is marriage status anyone married has the option of off base housing. 3rd every officer and staff nco can live off base as a privilege. Civilian contractors or civilian personnel would be paid a wage much higher than a non married service members. military pay is very low, an e-2 makes less than 2,000 a month before taxes which in southern california wouldn't even get you a 1 bedroom let alone turning on electricity and water. Lastly Cheyenne Mountain Complex is a real location and is still used as NORAD and USNORTHCOM's Alternate Command Center. That facility has no base housing and minimal barracks available.

Comment

Originally posted by oifoeffml View Post
            So in the US Military their are some rules for living off base. 1st depends on the base some bases like training centers do not provide any on base housing and all personnel would live off base. 2nd rule is marriage status anyone married has the option of off base housing. 3rd every officer and staff nco can live off base as a privilege. Civilian contractors or civilian personnel would be paid a wage much higher than a non married service members. military pay is very low, an e-2 makes less than 2,000 a month before taxes which in southern california wouldn't even get you a 1 bedroom let alone turning on electricity and water. Lastly Cheyenne Mountain Complex is a real location and is still used as NORAD and USNORTHCOM's Alternate Command Center. That facility has no base housing and minimal barracks available.
            Obviously in the show some housing facilities were added for alien dignitaries and alien personnel like Teal'c or Vala. Not to mention sections used for isolation in case of sickness, which is short-term.

So it stands to reason while the show's Cheyenne Mountain Complex may be modified for those unique cases, most personnel do not live on-base.

Comment

Additionally in overseas bases there is enough housing for married and those with families to live in.
              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
              X