I love episodes about parallel universes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love episodes about parallel universes

Parallel universes are one of my most favorite subjects in the series. I think they are so well made and the stories are good I would like to see more of them. You know, like turning SG Command at the mountain into "Grand Central Station" in the memorable words of General Landrieu........

I'm the reverse--generally, I just can't bring myself to give a crap about parallel universe stories.

In the immortal words of a certain bald someone in this franchise: "ours is the only reality of consequence."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I'm the reverse--generally, I just can't bring myself to give a crap about parallel universe stories.
      It depends. In some cases it can be a powerful message( AU's were useful in showing how close a shave the SGC had with the Goa'uld), but in many cases it can also feel free of consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        It depends. In some cases it can be a powerful message( AU's were useful in showing how close a shave the SGC had with the Goa'uld), but in many cases it can also feel free of consequence.
        Yeah, this is exactly how I feel about this. At times, especially with "There But for the Grace of God" it sent a powerful message simply because they actually depicted a full-scale attack, just as with Continuum and "The Road Not Taken". But "Point of View" was very cheesy, especially since their Hammond died and was easily brought back to life when the Asgard arrived. It was just cheese piled onto more cheese.

But as a way to allow for a "shared multiverse" like Marvel and DC, it's the perfect thing. AU's would also allow for different, unconnected stories, and not just alternate endings, with the occasional crossover. "Ripple Effect" did that to a lesser extent, with one AU where Fraiser was still alive and part of SG-1, and another where Martouf was still alive and part of SG-1. This is how I treat the 1994 film and Origins; both are in separate realities so they all coexist but are not immediately connected (also because I have my own retelling of the 1994 film to reconcile the story with the shows).

Comment

So the program Sliders had a lot of potential but unfortunately didn't do well in the last one or two seasons. But that's where I got interested in parallel universes before knowing about SG1.

Comment

Working...
          X