This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Earth Teachings On Other Planets

I don't remember this happened in SG1, but in the other series was there any evocation to human philosophical or religious teachings among the SG teams in other planets? Would anyone bring up as a comfort piece references to Democracy, Plato, Aristotle, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, and the assorted holy teachings? Did any SG team members express a need for their traditional teachings going through the stresses and difficulties (besides things like "Oh my God!")??

Welll.. Vala's pregnancy announcement was a close case.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9cqvZVBB8k

Buddhism was touched in 3x20 Maternal instinct.

Christianity was briefly touched in 3x08 Demons then later the whole Ori storyline was a metaphore for the Muslim vs. Christian crusade and religious fanatism. Christianity was an important character plot for Scott in Universe and the question of faith was also discussed as part of the metaplot in season 2.

But technically these are rather examples when an Earth based religion / philosophy showed up in the stories. As far as I know none of them were teaching directly offworld people even if they supplied them with food and medicines. The closest was the idological "war" between Quetesh and her followers then the SG-1 and the Prior in season 9 "Powers that be". Or if we count the "meditation" as teaching then Teal'c and Teyla also also tried theirs best to educate the other team members. Or when Sheppard was educated by the Ancients in season 2, but you haven't seen that episode...Zelenka has visited that "25 years old suicide" planet from Atlantis season 1 again and again where he was educating childrens.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I find the music score of Atlantis sounds very religious and even like a church choir. It seems to add a dimension. Ironically I'm getting to like Atlantis, but would prefer less star wars and more gate activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
        I find the music score of Atlantis sounds very religious and even like a church choir. It seems to add a dimension. Ironically I'm getting to like Atlantis, but would prefer less star wars and more gate activity.
        Just watch the show from season 1. There are so many different episodes: action packed, quiet character dramas, gate related discovery, hardcore SG lore digging, cross-overs with SG-1. So don't miss an episode. I won't say that all of them were that good, but most of them are really enjoyable.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Platschu I'll take your word for it! I was going to say that the music score in SGA and SG1 is very good quality, even inspiring and even religious.

Comment

Working...
          X