No announcement yet.

Developing a world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well let's start with my example since it's something I just recently introduced.

Meet the vortrix, a space-dwelling organism that is part of a larger space-based ecosystem. Normally the size of a house cat in space where it drifts around dormant until it senses prey (usually an even smaller organism perhaps things the size of fingernails). Then it becomes active, eats the prey, then goes dormant again. It is incredibly adaptive and in a state of constant change but it is limited by its environment.
    But if it is exposed to an atmosphere, things change. They become constantly active. And if given a source of food they can grow to massive proportions and reproduce exponentially. A single vortrix can overrun mining stations and space ships if brought onboard and let loose. If let loose on a planet, it's not apocalyptic but it is devastating to the ecosystem.
    The way it is introduced is because a team is exploring an asteroid mining station that had been overrun by these after a shuttle came in and unknowingly brought a vortrix with it.

So how would a galaxy react to something like this?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
      Well let's start with my example since it's something I just recently introduced.

Meet the vortrix, a space-dwelling organism that is part of a larger space-based ecosystem. Normally the size of a house cat in space where it drifts around dormant until it senses prey (usually an even smaller organism perhaps things the size of fingernails). Then it becomes active, eats the prey, then goes dormant again. It is incredibly adaptive and in a state of constant change but it is limited by its environment.
      But if it is exposed to an atmosphere, things change. They become constantly active. And if given a source of food they can grow to massive proportions and reproduce exponentially. A single vortrix can overrun mining stations and space ships if brought onboard and let loose. If let loose on a planet, it's not apocalyptic but it is devastating to the ecosystem.
      The way it is introduced is because a team is exploring an asteroid mining station that had been overrun by these after a shuttle came in and unknowingly brought a vortrix with it.

So how would a galaxy react to something like this?
      Sounds like tribbles, except you get one big mass instead of tons of little masses.

In trek, the Klingons hunted them down and exterminated them. Worf hinted that there werne't any victory songs about, though.
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
        Sounds like tribbles, except you get one big mass instead of tons of little masses.

In trek, the Klingons hunted them down and exterminated them. Worf hinted that there werne't any victory songs about, though.
        I actually already have an ironically made tribble-like species (ironically made since I never even heard of tribble until someone pointed out the similarities).

But I'd say the difference is these creatures aren't just pests. They're predators. They overrun ships and mining stations because they eat the crew (well, absorb them technically).

A shuttle returns to its ship, unknowingly carrying a vortrix on its hull. One vortrix the size of a small mouse to a small house cat. The vortrix becomes active in the atmosphere and scurries away. It makes its way to the kitchen and devours the food, growing in size and multiplying. Now you have four or five vortrices, each the size of a large dog. They proceed to kill the kitchen staff. Then's it's downhill from there. They overrun the new environment. If security is called, usually at least one gets away. Security stands down, thinking they got them all, then the survivor restarts the process. If security is called too late, then they have no way to deal with the infestation.

Saying it right now, I imagine that space stations and ships would try to secure their kitchens, perhaps locking all their food in secure safes or even providing some sort of quarantine button that would seal everything inside in case something like that broke out.

sigpic

Comment

I actually already have an ironically made tribble-like species (ironically made since I never even heard of tribble until someone pointed out the similarities).

But I'd say the difference is these creatures aren't just pests. They're predators. They overrun ships and mining stations because they eat the crew (well, absorb them technically).

A shuttle returns to its ship, unknowingly carrying a vortrix on its hull. One vortrix the size of a small mouse to a small house cat. The vortrix becomes active in the atmosphere and scurries away. It makes its way to the kitchen and devours the food, growing in size and multiplying. Now you have four or five vortrices, each the size of a large dog. They proceed to kill the kitchen staff. Then's it's downhill from there. They overrun the new environment. If security is called, usually at least one gets away. Security stands down, thinking they got them all, then the survivor restarts the process. If security is called too late, then they have no way to deal with the infestation.

Saying it right now, I imagine that space stations and ships would try to secure their kitchens, perhaps locking all their food in secure safes or even providing some sort of quarantine button that would seal everything inside in case something like that broke out.
          Wait, I know these things. They're the Darkheart from JLU.

I may have the name confused with a carebears villain and Eclipso from a previous JL episode. But I can find the episode on wiki or youtube for you.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Not the dark heart. That's a machine with more in common with the replicators.

Regardless, how would a galaxy react if such a thing existed?

sigpic

Comment

Not the dark heart. That's a machine with more in common with the replicators.

Regardless, how would a galaxy react if such a thing existed?
              Well, the replicators pretty much ate planets until it couldn't hold together anymore. What's topping your critter?

Comment

Well, the replicators pretty much ate planets until it couldn't hold together anymore. What's topping your critter?
                Food sources. Predators. This isn't a planet-ending species. It's just an animal. I've created lots of animals and most of them can't end a planet. If a vortrix is brought to a planet it's an invasive species that results in loss of life and severe damage to the ecosystem but it won't overrun the country let alone the planet. Also, they can still be eaten by other predators. These things pose more threat to starships and space bases since it's lots of food in a small confined space with lots of places to hide and inadequate to no countering forces to keep their numbers in check.
                Last edited by StargateMillennium; 04 October 2018, 12:19 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Food sources. Predators. This isn't a planet-ending species. It's just an animal. I've created lots of animals and most of them can't end a planet. If a vortrix is brought to a planet it's an invasive species that results in loss of life and severe damage to the ecosystem but it won't overrun the country let alone the planet. Also, they can still be eaten by other predators. These things pose more threat to starships and space bases since it's lots of food in a small confined space with lots of places to hide and inadequate to no countering forces to keep their numbers in check.
                  Ah. It would affect space travel by making food preservation need to be in layers (air tight container, lock, forcefield, child proof cap--pick two or three to keep the critters out). It could lead to alarms or exterminators or inspectors of refrigerators or storage units. There should probably be back up food, which means less storage space for other things or more space needed to accommodate everything.

As for mining, does the critter eat mined materials?

Comment

Ah. It would affect space travel by making food preservation need to be in layers (air tight container, lock, forcefield, child proof cap--pick two or three to keep the critters out). It could lead to alarms or exterminators or inspectors of refrigerators or storage units. There should probably be back up food, which means less storage space for other things or more space needed to accommodate everything.

As for mining, does the critter eat mined materials?
                    No. They're omnivorous but they can't eat rocks. They're dangerous to mining stations since shuttles will frequently come and go to pick up cargo, and that's more opportunities for a vortrix to inadvertently get lodged onto its hull and brought inside.

sigpic

Comment

No. They're omnivorous but they can't eat rocks. They're dangerous to mining stations since shuttles will frequently come and go to pick up cargo, and that's more opportunities for a vortrix to inadvertently get lodged onto its hull and brought inside.
                      What about one of those forcefield sweeps like on Starship Mine on TNG Trek? It kills anything organic. Variants of those could work.

What about automatic canned air, no air, or special pressurization in store rooms and electronics? For the outside, ships could enter atmospheres and the intense heat should kill anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X