Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Developing a world

Quote Originally Posted by StargateMillennium View Post
    Not the dark heart. That's a machine with more in common with the replicators.

Regardless, how would a galaxy react if such a thing existed?
    Well, the replicators pretty much ate planets until it couldn't hold together anymore. What's topping your critter?
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WraithRichard View Post
    Well, the replicators pretty much ate planets until it couldn't hold together anymore. What's topping your critter?
    Food sources. Predators. This isn't a planet-ending species. It's just an animal. I've created lots of animals and most of them can't end a planet. If a vortrix is brought to a planet it's an invasive species that results in loss of life and severe damage to the ecosystem but it won't overrun the country let alone the planet. Also, they can still be eaten by other predators. These things pose more threat to starships and space bases since it's lots of food in a small confined space with lots of places to hide and inadequate to no countering forces to keep their numbers in check.
    Last edited by StargateMillennium; October 4th, 2018 at 12:19 PM.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Food sources. Predators. This isn't a planet-ending species. It's just an animal. I've created lots of animals and most of them can't end a planet. If a vortrix is brought to a planet it's an invasive species that results in loss of life and severe damage to the ecosystem but it won't overrun the country let alone the planet. Also, they can still be eaten by other predators. These things pose more threat to starships and space bases since it's lots of food in a small confined space with lots of places to hide and inadequate to no countering forces to keep their numbers in check.
    Ah. It would affect space travel by making food preservation need to be in layers (air tight container, lock, forcefield, child proof cap--pick two or three to keep the critters out). It could lead to alarms or exterminators or inspectors of refrigerators or storage units. There should probably be back up food, which means less storage space for other things or more space needed to accommodate everything.

As for mining, does the critter eat mined materials?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WraithRichard View Post
    Ah. It would affect space travel by making food preservation need to be in layers (air tight container, lock, forcefield, child proof cap--pick two or three to keep the critters out). It could lead to alarms or exterminators or inspectors of refrigerators or storage units. There should probably be back up food, which means less storage space for other things or more space needed to accommodate everything.

As for mining, does the critter eat mined materials?
    No. They're omnivorous but they can't eat rocks. They're dangerous to mining stations since shuttles will frequently come and go to pick up cargo, and that's more opportunities for a vortrix to inadvertently get lodged onto its hull and brought inside.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

No. They're omnivorous but they can't eat rocks. They're dangerous to mining stations since shuttles will frequently come and go to pick up cargo, and that's more opportunities for a vortrix to inadvertently get lodged onto its hull and brought inside.
    What about one of those forcefield sweeps like on Starship Mine on TNG Trek? It kills anything organic. Variants of those could work.

What about automatic canned air, no air, or special pressurization in store rooms and electronics? For the outside, ships could enter atmospheres and the intense heat should kill anything.