Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did producers create the effect of walking through the stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did producers create the effect of walking through the stargate?

Is there any video that shows how the effect of walking into the stargate with its watery effect was produced so beautifully? I suppose the actors found it a bore to walk through an empty circle that on film would be doctored up with lights and the watery effect and the whoosh...….and the gloogy sound effects, doing it time and time again...…..

It is filmed in a water pool. She has just put her head in water, then they changed the angle of the shot.

If you talk about the kawoosh then I believe they have used a watertank, where they blewed air in it with high speed, then the bubbles have gone up again then the negative of this shot will create the opening of the kawoosh illusion.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

They are just visual effects, so yes the actors walked through an empty ring. The only effects that existed were the green screen to add the event horizon, and the flickering lights to simulate caustics (water reflections). The effect of Catherine stepping through was done by submerging her head in water, though I find that an ugly effect and not at all like the original effect with Daniel in the 1994 film, which they said they based it on. In the film, it was in reverse: James Spader would lie in a pool of water and submerge himself. The footage was then reversed so he emerges from the water completely dry.

The kawoosh was originally done with a water tank, in the original movie. The effect used in Origins was just a cut and paste from the movie. Though it's not clear how they did it in the original movie as they only explained how they did the whirlpool effect (a glass of water being stirred). In the early episodes of SG-1 they used a large water tank and an actual jet engine placed above it to blow a stream of air into the tank.

The sound effects were also taken from the movie, instead of the ones we've grown used to in ten seasons of SG-1. The wormhole effect was recreated from the movie, making it more 3D and "spectacular". I still prefer the "new" effect used since Atlantis, but I like the original effect from the movie much more than the one used in Origins.

Comment

I believe they also mentioned in a werkfilm that they marked the actors with vertical laserlights, so the VFX team knew when they entered through the event horizont.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
          and the flickering lights to simulate caustics (water reflections).
          That’s not actually flickering lights; I forget where I saw the feature (might’ve been one of the previous series’s DVD/BD bonus features) but what they do is basically strap a square of Mylar to a long pole, shine a spotlight at the Mylar, and shake the pole a little. The reflected light looks like light reflecting off the surface of water.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            I believe they also mentioned in a werkfilm that they marked the actors with vertical laserlights, so the VFX team knew when they entered through the event horizont.
            If you mean the original film, then yes they used lasers fixed on the gate to mark exactly where the actors would "pass through". In the case of Origins, I don't know.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            That’s not actually flickering lights; I forget where I saw the feature (might’ve been one of the previous series’s DVD/BD bonus features) but what they do is basically strap a square of Mylar to a long pole, shine a spotlight at the Mylar, and shake the pole a little. The reflected light looks like light reflecting off the surface of water.
            Well, yes I know. I just quickly mentioned "flickering lights" to indicate they used practical effects, but didn't mean so literally

Comment

Working...
            X