Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is CBS being sued for plagiarism over Star Trek Discovery's tardigrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is CBS being sued for plagiarism over Star Trek Discovery's tardigrades?

The title is a question because I am not entirely sure.

So I saw this youtube video (Link) talking about how a few things related to Star Trek including Star Trek Discovery allegedly plagiarizing a indie video game. The similarities are beyond uncanny. Similar looking characters, the Tardigrade, the teleportation style travel.

Apparently the game developer tried to contact CBS and they kept ignoring him and then finally decided to agree not to use the tardigrade again and not sue him for plagiarism...yeah, you read that right. CBS's legal department thought that not suing someone for the same thing they are accusing you of doing was a favor. The plot thickens too. I found only found one article (link) so I am wondering how reliable this is or if it's just a matter of time?
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

I can't comment on the plagiarism, I havn't seen Discovery yet, I'm waiting for the BD, but CBS's behavior is no surprise. They're a very large corporation, easily able to use its wealth to manipulate the courts to get the outcome that it desires.

Comment

By way of follow-up: the judge dismissed the case a couple of weeks ago, stating:

"Defendants’ motion to dismiss is granted because Star Trek: Discovery and Plaintiff’s Videogame are not substantially similar as a matter of law in concept, characters, settings and 'overall feel.' In particular, the tardigrade in Star Trek: Discovery is not substantially similar to Plaintiff’s tardigrade in concept, attributes and overall feel. The plots of both works are similar solely to the extent that the characters go on adventures in space, and some of the adventures involve alien tardigrades."
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        By way of follow-up: the judge dismissed the case a couple of weeks ago, stating:

"Defendants’ motion to dismiss is granted because Star Trek: Discovery and Plaintiff’s Videogame are not substantially similar as a matter of law in concept, characters, settings and 'overall feel.' In particular, the tardigrade in Star Trek: Discovery is not substantially similar to Plaintiff’s tardigrade in concept, attributes and overall feel. The plots of both works are similar solely to the extent that the characters go on adventures in space, and some of the adventures involve alien tardigrades."
        Exactly what I've said the whole time.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
        X