Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Why did SGA create the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    38 minutes requires a jumper to TAKE the bug, the bug CANNOT do it itself.
    The WRAITH use ancient tech and language, the BUGS do NOT.
    Are you being intentionally obtuse? Do you read a single line or two and then reply without reading the rest of what someone says? I'm really confused by your responses. His point was very clearly that travelers who were bitten on the iratus bug's planet could carry bugs back through the Stargate with them by attempting to save people who were bitten as the Atlantis expedition did in Sheppard's case. This is a perfectly valid point that you disregarded by misrepresenting what he was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    Are you being intentionally obtuse? Do you read a single line or two and then reply without reading the rest of what someone says? I'm really confused by your responses. His point was very clearly that travelers who were bitten on the iratus bug's planet could carry bugs back through the Stargate with them by attempting to save people who were bitten as the Atlantis expedition did in Sheppard's case. This is a perfectly valid point that you disregarded by misrepresenting what he was saying.
    Excuse me?
    His post implied some kind of motive by a bug, to get more DNA, and bugs have NO such motive. I did read it all, I did not misrepresent him, I just pointed out the FLAW in it. There is NO, ZERO, NONE evidence that a bug would follow a victim ANYWHERE, they would just feed where they could. They make WEBS for god's sake, a trap for things that just happen to go past, why would they follow anything?
    Shep got bit, do you think a person like McKay would not CHECK to make sure there were no more bugs?
    Do you think the ANCIENTS wouldn't?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Okay, so you're conflating his two separate points? You initially replied to the top bit about "Thirty-Eight Minutes." In that point he talked about the iratus bugs inadvertently spreading as a result of travelers carrying them through the gate. It's not impossible for even an Ancient to recover a bitten person, bring them through the gate, and lose track of the bug after it's finished feeding, resulting in it being allowed to lay eggs somewhere on this new planet. If that happened, it's more likely that humans were involved, but I can list scenarios where it could happen to Ancients for you if you like.

One very obvious problem is that most gates on Ancient worlds are not located in a closed off facility (as is the case on Atlantis). Rather, they are out in the open and a bit of a walk from an Ancient city/outpost. This means that if an Ancient who has been bitten by an iratus bug dies as he's being carried to a city/outpost, the bug has an opportunity to fly off and disappear into the countryside.

Moving on: Later on in his post, he talked about them learning how to use the gate "very early in their evolution." It could be worded a little clearer and there should a paragraph break there, but he's referring to proto-Wraith and not actual iratus bugs in that instance. What this means is that we don't know how long it took them to transform to a point where they were able to escape their planet after they started feeding on the initial population of seeded humans. The Ancients might've arrived there when they were very primitive, but smart enough to learn from the Ancients how to use to the gates and from there they could have become a scourge that was very difficult to fully exterminate.

Chief Master Sergeant

I'm not sure this thread had to be moved since the issues related to the Wraith are not limited to their involvement in SGA per se.
    In any case, there is one other ethical dilemma that has been addressed in Season 2 of SGA by Michael himself ("Do I have a disease that needs a cure?") and I hope is elaborated. The idea of the retrovirus ignores the fact that the Wraith are not "humans infected by a pathogen that made them into Wraith." They are essentially bugs who absorbed some human DNA. The injection of the retrovirus does not eliminate this fact. They are merely now bugs who bugginess has been suppressed. Thus, though they are in human form they are really NOT actually humans. This is an ethical quandary because in all ways they seem to be humans....
    Though I am neither an ethicist or biologist, I would certainly oppose letting these Wraith mingle among humans and even have children with humans to pass along whatever Iratus bug DNA they have. The only benefit in such a situation is that they need a daily dose. Thus, then can never escape their Wraithness. But what if they ended up like Michael in a position where the retrovirus was unavailable?! The danger is too risky.
    Beyond that as I mentioned earlier, it is impossible that creatures engaged in interplanetary travel with such fancy technology over hundreds of years could not find a way to seek out a permanent solution, though I am not sure this would even satisfy me ethically.

Chief Master Sergeant

evolution, intelligence, new life.....

anyways, the wraithe would have made a almost better villain if they were still that early proto barbarian race useing thegates and their were actually some sort of off shoot human/ancient hybred race

the hybred human/ancient race could have been acting as a sort of combination galaxy police and wraithe/vampire hunters who would constantly be paranoid and travelling planet to planet while dealing with other issues, for the sake of argument say they do not have or use much in the way of ancient technology, but that is due to the ancients not trusting them with it when they left because they are so focused on hunting the wraithe, could have been sorta cool, but then youd still need a reason for hte ancients to have packed up and left etc.... perhaps the ori had launched some sort of automated machines to hunt them down that followed them out of the galaxy back to hte milky way and they lead them into a clever trap to destroy them but didnt risk going back to the milky way to protect it since the machines hunted their technology signals etc

Chief Master Sergeant

Did anyone notice the mistake in Condemned when the Wraith told the magistrate "when our two peoples (I don't remember if he said people) diverged." This suggested that originally the humans and Wraith had originated from the same species, which of course is not true at all.

Chief Master Sergeant

What happened if a Wraith had his right hand amputated and couldn't feed?

Another Wraith should be able to feed that individual in the same way that Todd restored Sheppard's life force in "Common Ground." Todd hinted as much in that episode:

WRAITH: The gift of life is reserved only for our most devout worshippers ... and our brothers.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    Another Wraith should be able to feed that individual in the same way that Todd restored Sheppard's life force in "Common Ground." Todd hinted as much in that episode:
    Xaeden, meaning that other Wraith would have to give up his/her own life force for that unfortunate Wraith and then feed again for his own benefit. How compassionate and altruistic. ;-) I supposed they would have had drives of their version of the Red Cross!
    "Join the Wraith Association for Your Unfeedable Brethren! Contribute your life force today! Save your fellow Wraith twice a year and enjoy an added feeding at no extra cost!"
    Last edited by Davey; September 16th, 2018 at 07:18 AM.

Technically, any scientist/queen can just order a drone to give them the gift of life and they'd do it out of blind obedience. If a higher class Wraith was the only one available to do it in a specific instance, whether it actually happened would probably be less about altruism and more about the wounded Wraith's value to the a collective. Queens and scientists with specific knowledge would be less likely to be left to die, I would assume.

Chief Master Sergeant

Doesn't a Wraith need to feed 2 or 3 times a year to survive? How would any such as the one on The Defiant One survive for 10,000 years with only a few preserved humans in cocoons??

Chief Master Sergeant

I have been wondering about the possibility of disarming the Wraith by developing a product that would paralyze the Wraith's right arm, and/or provide a kind of shield protection that every person could wear that would deactivate and/or paralyze or poison the right hand when it attempts to feed. This came to mind when I saw Shepard aim and stab the right hand of the Wraith in the Defiant One.

Chief Master Sergeant

In Season 1 when Sheppard was attached to the Iratis bug why didn't its feeding make Sheppard age for all that time??

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Doesn't a Wraith need to feed 2 or 3 times a year to survive? How would any such as the one on The Defiant One survive for 10,000 years with only a few preserved humans in cocoons??
    The Wraith can go hundreds of years without feeding if they're in stasis. This is what they were doing en mass at the beginning of the series. The Atlantis expedition woke them up about a hundred years too soon.

Thus, the trapped Wraith's survival method was to go into stasis, wake up a few hundred years later, feed on a human or fellow Wraith, sleep for another few hundred years, and repeat. Similarly, his companion Wraith would have eventually had to feed on others of their kind after each sleep cycle, so once they were out of humans they would have cut their numbers in half after waking up each time.

While the method is viable if sufficient numbers exist, it was never addressed why they couldn't send out a telepathic message asking for rescue when they first crashed.

In Season 1 when Sheppard was attached to the Iratis bug why didn't its feeding make Sheppard age for all that time??
    Iratus bugs don't feed on a person's life force. That's a mutation that developed at some point in the hybridization process.

Chief Master Sergeant

What do the Iratus bugs do when attached to humans? Sheppard said he couldn't feel his legs and was numb in his arms. He didn't expect to live long.
    And what are the circumstances when a wraith will actually feed on another wraith? Do we ever see a Wraith attacking a female human to feed? Do we ever see the life of Wraith in a community on a planet where they are not in a hive ship, not hibernating and not feeding? Just going to the beach or playing hockey together? ;-)