No announcement yet.

Why did SGA create the Wraith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the relationship between hive ships and the Wraith home planet? What kind of life do they have in the hives and home planet when they aren't culling and hibernating? Where do they get the enormous resources to build hive ships?

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
      What is the relationship between hive ships and the Wraith home planet? What kind of life do they have in the hives and home planet when they aren't culling and hibernating? Where do they get the enormous resources to build hive ships?
      I've actually wondered this myself.

They are obviously a warrior culture and they seem to base everything around space travel. Being on the ground seems to be something they don't really account for much beyond 'sneak up on food, then return home'.

At best, I'd say hives absorb energy from pretty much anything, beign the equivalent of a massive zpm themself (converting matter directly to energy without thermodynics getting in the way).

Spoiler:

I'm ignoring the books, whihc change a lot of facts. They go against SGA canon in a mjor way, plus they failed worldbuilding 101
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I meant where do they get the money and matériel to build the ships and darts, and what do Wraith back home do?
        And in the ships do their children go to school? Do they have sports? What do the adults everywhere do in their spare time? Apparently they have no names, so how do they refer to each other?

Comment

How Wraith ships come into being is revealed in the second episode of season 5. If you don't want to wait, the Wraith have organic ships, which are...

Spoiler:
          grown, not built. That's the genius of it. While the Ancients had to collect resources and design shipyards to construct their spaceships, the Wraith could grow one or a handful of ships on individual worlds all at the same time (all they needed was a power source, which they could've brought through a gate or they could have leeched off power sources on conquered planets). This means the Wraith were immune from attacks on their production capabilities, and the Wraith would have been able to target shipyards, mining operations, and various aspects of the Ancient's infrastructure with impunity. Taking out a Hive as it's being grown is small peanuts if the Wraith have hundreds of them being grown at different locations at once. In contrast, taking out an Ancient shipyard, not only wipes out all the in progress ships that were being built there, it also sets the Ancients back the months it would require to rebuild the shipyard somewhere else and start anew. That's the true under discussed reason behind their victory over the Ancients.

What the Wraith do in their spare time has not been addressed. Some people think that they create runners as a form of sport, but that activity appears to be isolated to a single Hive that may be rogue since it was in operation during the Wraith's hibernation period. As to their not having names, my purely speculative answer is that they may not need them because they identify themselves to each other through their telepathy.
          Last edited by Xaeden; 21 December 2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
            How Wraith ships come into being is revealed in the second episode of season 5. If you don't want to wait, the Wraith have organic ships, which are...

Spoiler:
            grown, not built. That's the genius of it. While the Ancients had to collect resources and design shipyards to construct their spaceships, the Wraith could grow one or a handful of ships on individual worlds all at the same time (all they needed was a power source, which they could've brought through a gate or they could have leeched off power sources on conquered planets). This means the Wraith were immune from attacks on their production capabilities, and the Wraith would have been able to target shipyards, mining operations, and various aspects of the Ancient's infrastructure with impunity. Taking out a Hive as it's being grown is small peanuts if the Wraith have hundreds of them being grown at different locations at once. In contrast, taking out an Ancient shipyard, not only wipes out all the in progress ships that were being built there, it also sets the Ancients back the months it would require to rebuild the shipyard somewhere else and start anew. That's the true under discussed reason behind their victory over the Ancients.

What the Wraith do in their spare time has not been addressed. Some people think that they create runners as a form of sport, but that activity appears to be isolated to a single Hive that may be rogue since it was in operation during the Wraith's hibernation period. As to their not having names, my purely speculative answer is that they may not need them because they identify themselves to each other through their telepathy.
            The telepathy thing makes the most sense, since it's their main mode of communication. For several wraith, verbal skills are something purely for humans or a cargo cult at best.

I too wonder what wraith do in their spare time. Anyone notice that scene when Micheal approaches the queen? He seems to have interrupted something because the queen and some other commander were doing something, supposedly telepathic, and the commander runs off immediately when Micheal shows up.
            Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

The Wraith are very cool and intelligent. The species enriches Stargate Atlantis as it even has its own alphabet. The Wraith hive ships can shoot out some of the best Federation ships too and the white and black fighter ships are a force to recon with as well.

Comment

Working...
              X