Why did SGA create the Wraith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did SGA create the Wraith

I always wonder why the producers developed the idea of the Wraith in SGA. I found them so disgusting that they made Goa'uld and Klingons seem charming by comparison. Isn't it possible that SGA would have lasted longer had their incorporated an enemy with even a drop of charm, whereas the Wraith (at least as far as I saw it on the Season1 which was the only season I saw) were so repulsive I couldn't believe that anyone in Hollywood would have thought them to be a successful contribution to the series.

They created the Wraith because they needed a central enemy for the show, like the Goa'uld in SG-1. And the Wraith was not the reason the show ended, it was simple showbiz politics with Syfy. The show would have definitely continued if not for Syfy. And Hollywood has nothing to do with this, as it's largely a Canadian production (Vancouver), which is actually much better. That's also an oft-used misconception that everything comes from Hollywood.

I would refrain from drawing conclusions with just one season. Season 1 is also arguably the slowest (in my opinion), much like the earlier seasons of SG-1. Just in case, without spoiling too much, Atlantis gets a few additional enemies and allies, though mostly a one-off thing though. Even the Wraith are becoming a little more divided and interesting as time passes, with at least two being more characterized, and "charming" one way or another.

And why are they so repulsive? Or specifically, why are they more repulsive than the Goa'uld? They're basically just "space vampires", which pretty much sums it up. Do they need "charm"? Granted, the Goa'uld System Lords had some charm, some more than others, but that's not always required in the job description of a villain. Sure, they could have been better, but there have been worse villains. Overall, I feel it was more their threat that was driving the stories, not their actual presence or active opposition.

Comment

Don't forget that Atlantis would have been on the Antarctic, while the Wraith would have slept on an MW world. It would have been nice to see this concept as well, but then we could never see the beautiful new gate system. Probably the Goa'uld would have been weakened or written off, so the new main hostile race could have shaken up the life of the Milky Way. So that is the main reason they were introduced while they made a completly different look and feel for them.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It was the replicators who were intended as the show's main enemies back when the plan was to replace Sg-1 and have Atlantis in Antarctica.

Comment

What do you mean replace SG1 with Atlantis? Who was talking about replacing SG1??

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
            What do you mean replace SG1 with Atlantis? Who was talking about replacing SG1??
            SG-1 was supposed to end every season since, I believe, season 7. First, the Lost City story arc was supposed to end SG-1 then, where it was to be replaced with Atlantis. SG-1 got renewed instead, so it continued. It was then supposed to end with season 8, with a potential second spin-off called "Stargate Command" (but nothing was known about it). Instead, it got renewed yet again. It happened again with season 9, until it was finally canceled with season 10, just about when they actually did want to continue with an eleventh season.

Comment

It goes farther back than that. Ever since SciFi bought it, the writers thought it was going to end but the network keept on renewing.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Disgusting sells my friend. Just look at the success of Starcraft, they had Zergs, which are quite similar to wraith and I suspect an inspiration for the SGA writers, and it was one of the best-selling game of all time.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Zerg was not disgusting... Even if I am a Protoss player, I have to defend them...

Nothing is wrong with the Wraith, just this lifeforce eating habits are unusual. But I believe they had a good run in Atlantis and maybe the show would have been boring without them.

But I believe we should not talk about what already happened, we should look into the future what new adventures and new enemies could show up.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Did Atlantis ever have a character who could be called a "good Wraith" as there were a couple of "good Goa'ulds" on SG1?

Comment

Yes. Todd shows up in season 3 and he stays as a recurring character. And there was an other important recurring Wraith character as well, but you should really watch to series and I don't want to spoil it.

Comment

Hmm...interesting, since I understood the Wraith could not survive without drawing energy from humans with their sucker hands. And there was Kianna Cyr in SG1 who was apparently the first case of a goa'uld attaining good personality traits.
                        By the way, what would happen if a goa'uld had the chance to take a Wraith as a host?! Now there would be an alien! Or how about fear of the goa'uld forcing the Wraith to change their energy needs somehow and allying with humans?!
                        Last edited by Davey; 30 August 2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Really... You should watch the show as the Wraith became more and more interesting and complex race. Nothing is just black and white. If you don't like the Atlantis setting, then watch at least the Instinct - Conversion - Michael episodes from season 2 or the Common Ground from season 3 to convince you what you missed.

A Goa'uld/Wraith hasn't happened in SG:A, but I wished it would. Maybe it can happen in fan fiction.

Comment

Im pretty sure some fanfic writers have tried. I just hope it wasnt a Wraith defender
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

What about a Goa'uld that takes over a Wraith host that was previously made a prior?
                              Spoiler:
                              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Working...
                              X