Explain, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explain, please

I've been assured by many people whom I trust their tv watching content and they know what I like. And honestly, I 've given the show a couple of tries. But it seems to me to be a UN in space. Am I wrong?
    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Yes.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It's a great deal more than that, but you need to watch all of the first season to find out exactly what. B5 is one of my favorite shows ever.
      sigpic

Comment

I'll try and give it yet another go.
        sigpic

Comment

Season 1 is primarily introduction of people, places, races, and alliances, and fleshing all that out so that when they start to play with it all in Season 2, the changes and consequences are far more meaningful.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

B5 is one of the pioneers of the current trend of shows best suited to binge watching. Some may be bothered by the fact that it was also one of the first shows to use CGI rather than miniature models for most shots, and sadly, that CGI shows its age. But if you can see past that, you're in for some very good storytelling.
            sigpic

Comment

It's also basically sci-fi's Lord of the rings.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                I've been assured by many people whom I trust their tv watching content and they know what I like. And honestly, I 've given the show a couple of tries. But it seems to me to be a UN in space. Am I wrong?
                If you have only seen the first couple of eps, I can understand how you would feel that way (though, for a comparison, I would use Switzerland being "historically neutral", rather than the UN (which has never been neutral).
                I -feel- that B5 draws it's finest stories from the shared commonality of the hero's journey across cultures, beliefs and even (actual!!) differing races (Human, Mimbari, Centauri and Naan for the most part), and then the broad background of what I would call "generational differences" between mainly the Shadow and the Vorlons and the younger races (Humans etc).

Does it have political intrigue and plotting?
                Certainly does, but they too are a function of, not so much "humanity" but of communities, be they a tribe, a village, a city, a state, a country, a planet or an alliance of worlds.

Star trek, especially TNG draws on parables and fables to teach "morals" in easily digested 45 minute stories, B5 does it in Seasons.

To "tailor make" this response for -you-, Something like TNG is like hearing a fantastic sermon for the first time, it stands alone and can induce "rapture" and "reflection"
                B5 is the first time you read the Bible, and right now, as others have noted, you are still in the "and beget, and then they beget". It's sorta boring, it's sorta stale, but without knowing it, you won't know -how- that becomes important later.

Give B5 another go, grit your teeth and get through all the begetting, cause B5 is one of the finest Aspirational Scifi shows ever created. In fact, With ALL the scifi movies and TV shows I own, it is the -only- series I will rewatch every year, and even pull YouTube clips from at random to watch based on how I am feeling.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I'll give it another go. There's been some compelling reasons to give it a try
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    B5 is one of the pioneers of the current trend of shows best suited to binge watching. Some may be bothered by the fact that it was also one of the first shows to use CGI rather than miniature models for most shots, and sadly, that CGI shows its age. But if you can see past that, you're in for some very good storytelling.
                    Absolutely true, I remember bursting out laughing when I first saw the CGI scenes of the first season. At least the quality improves in the later seasons.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      Absolutely true, I remember bursting out laughing when I first saw the CGI scenes of the first season. At least the quality improves in the later seasons.
                      Was that in 1994? I mean I definitely noticed the difference, but I still liked the overall look back then. And back then it was pretty groundbreaking for a TV show to attempt.

Comment

Working...
                      X