Arrow1 New Ads / Ad Locations (Starting August 16)

Hi, folks!

As part of our continuing efforts to keep GateWorld online ... we are migrating to a new advertising provider this week.

If you are using an Ad Blocker and you're a regular around these parts let me ask you to please consider adding gateworld.net to your Ad Blocker's whitelist. We need the revenue to pay the server bill and other costs.

If you have ads on the forum (and the main site), you'll notice a few things are different. Some of this is experimental (and your feedback is welcome!). The top banner has migrated off the header image to the top of the page body (white space), below the navigation.

There are also new "sticky" ads that will scroll with you, hopefully in a minimally obtrusive way, on the left and possibly the bottom of a desktop browser. Note that these will not appear on every page load.

Finally: Expect some tweaks, fixes, and changes as we complete the implementation and experiment with some changes. Hopefully the new set-up will help to benefit the site in a way that doesn't harm your reading experience.

Thanks!

~Darren

Default Re: New Ads / Ad Locations (Starting August 16)

Note also that some ads include a little "Report Ad" link below.

These reports do NOT go to GateWorld and the forum mods, but to the ad provider. You're welcome to use the reporter if you think an ad contains inappropriate content or has a technical issue. Just be aware that our team doesn't see the report.

It has always been my policy to allow scripts/ads from the same top level domain as the site I'm viewing. I understand that the bills have to be paid. If something nasty does pop up, I have a pretty good idea where it came from and can notify the site operator.

What I do block is stuff from 3rd party domains such as yahooapis.com and intergi.com, which this page apparently tried to load.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Advertising networks today draw on multiple providers, including those two (as well as Google, DoubleClick, and many others). If you have had particular problems with them in the past you might continue to block them, but because we're a part of an ad network the invocation of third-party domains comes with the territory.