Very Mixed Feelings about Stargate Origins SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Mixed Feelings about Stargate Origins SPOILERS

On the one hand Origins reintroduces the undefined concept from the original film of a single stargate on earth with a second stargate on another single planet, which again raises the whole question of why the stargate system would only be composed of two planets.
    On the other it nicely brings in the technical aspects of SG1 with the whoosh! and several other aspects.
    Having said that I was disappointed at what seems to be almost a babyish or childish character to the interactions of the main actors (aside from Katherine's father). It doesn't fit with the way light-heartedness was introduced into SG1. To this gets added less of a historical context of events than fighting on the other planet.
    Then there is the fact of their travel with no water or food, and no bathing. Yet much of the time they looked as if they had enjoyed a nice shower. The Nazis and Langford had no access to food or water over the 2 or 3 days when the story takes place.
    I also noticed a clear attempt to try to put Katherine in the main role with Wasif and Beal as two skinny teenaged underlings.
    Although the use of subtitles for the apparent Egyptian language added some authenticity, it also serves as a bit of a distraction.
    And similar to the original movie, the entire planet is composed of one single settlement in the middle of a desert (along with a so-called city that is seen from a distance).
    Finally I didn't like the final instalment of how the film ends. I don't like the effect of the Langfords losing their memories and of losing Wasif to become a slave soldier (whereby we have to suspend our memory of the go'alds of SG1) and Beal being killed.
    Overall I started feeling like giving Origins an A in the first 2 or 3 installments, then a C or worse because of the childish behavior in the following ones, only to see it come back up to a B by the end. My overall grade for Stargate Origins is either B- or C+.
    What say the rest of you???

To my knowledge, and personal opinion, this has been the opinion of most SG fan in regards to Origins. I mean I didn't hate it, but it was obviously a B-class production.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

So the question remains whether anyone in the production end of this will care what fans really care about. Especially those who only liked SG1. Universe was totally boring (at least as far as the few episodes I saw) and Atlantis was a yawn.....especially with the Wraith element, which I didn't like at all. And here in Origins we find the aliens being a small group of females with no males around. Except for their toy soldier Ra. ;-)

Comment

What were they thinking when they had Prof. Langford with ropes on his wrists the whole time, or the Nazi in perfectly pressed uniform despite certain perspiration and filth from the fighting and no food or water. Or what were they thinking by having Watuf, Beale, Katuf, etc. as a bunch of babyish teenagers under the leadership of the apparent young college undergraduate Katherine Langford?! Or what were they thinking of contributing to the Stargate canon with the silly fighting and banter??

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
          So the question remains whether anyone in the production end of this will care what fans really care about.
          You'd have to ask the production company about it, Vanishing Angle.
          Or you could always ask Mercedes Bryce Morgan since she was both director and executive producer on the project.

Or Lincoln Hoppe, who co-wrote the script and acted in Origins as one of the German soldiers (he's the one Brücke shoots).

Especially those who only liked SG1.
          Don't see what that has got to do with anything, Origins is Stargate canon, not SG-1 canon.

And here in Origins we find the aliens being a small group of females with no males around. Except for their toy soldier Ra. ;-)
          Aset (or more commonly known as Isis) was the mate of Osiris and the mother of Horus. Serqet was Aset's confident and protector in Egyptian mythology, so it stands to reason that her personal bodyguard is a woman (Serqet). Her child needs a wet nurse, so she has a female slave at hand.

The men of the tent-village were more than eager to fight for Aset so there are most certainly male soldiers around to do her bidding.

Ra -- might have looked like a toy soldier, more a bobble-head from my POV -- but he is in Origins still very much in charge of the pantheon of Goa'uld system lords.

...Katherine Langford...
          Sidenote: it's Catherine Langford. Katherine Langford isn't involved with the Stargate franchise. I believe she portrayed the lead in the first season of 13 Reasons Why.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

you know what would have been fascinating,aliens get stuck at the antarctic gate, they send a ship to rescue them, unsure where they are they kidnap some humans to get information from them, leading to a wierd team up, and the best part is this could be just post the rebellion, or somewhere from the bc to ad era, maybe even the 1500s to 1800s? they could even throw in edison and tesla getting abducted by the aliens lol maybe they are argueing and morgan as well as westinghouse argueing over the viability of some crazy machine they are having serious differences on how to build and what to do with it... would be pretty cool and possibly pull in more fans to stargate etc

Comment

Why do I have this sneaking feeling that producers of Stargate Origins or future productions think that the fans are so blindly craving Stargate films and series that they will accept anything even if it's a B-rated production? I really hope they don't think that way just for the sake of making a quick buck. I hope fans know how to make it clear to them that there has to be quality and not just junk labeled "Stargate Whoopeedoo!"
              Last edited by Davey; 31 August 2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Davey : Take it easy, breath normally. In, out, in, out. We all noticed the quality issue and the mixed feeling about the Stargate : Origins, but they were really working from a very-very limited budget. What I can not really accept is the weird humour, so there was sexual abuse scene, then weird cloth fetish in the first few episodes. I believe these type of "jokes" or "dialogues" or "plots" should be banished from the SG lore as it was not worthy for this franchise... Even the "vagina monologues" was too much for my taste in season 10. but probably everybody think different things funny.
                Last edited by Platschu; 02 September 2018, 08:40 AM.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Did they ever say what the budget was?

Comment

I don't know. I am guessing it must have been around half million dollar or even less.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                      Did they ever say what the budget was?
                      Ask Vanishing Angle -- they are listed as the executive producers. As is Mercedes Bryce.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      I don't know. I am guessing it must have been around half million dollar or even less.
                      I think it's lower than that -- I'd wager it's half that.

Comment

Probably less, you are right. Since the effects were reused, the actors were "cheap", the set was very simple, then maybe the whole could have been done in 50k-100k dollars.

But anyway, I was still happy to see this little adventure. Maybe the time has already started to heal that wound in my fan heart what it has caused in the first place.

Comment

I'd wager it was probably less than a typical episode of the show. It was made on a shoe-string budget and unfortunately looks it.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

An average episode was 2.2-2.5 million dollar. If I remember well they had only 80-85 million dollars for 40 episodes while the two SG-1/Atlantis seasons were running together for 3 years. So you can imagine how hard it is to produce 40 hours of tv shows from this budget, but they have cleverly reused and redecorated the existing sets or they have simply written smaller and financially cheaper character centric episodes.

Sometimes I wish we could know what they could have done from a larger budget on a bigger tv chanel. You know a few shows had a budget of 5-10 million dollars per episode (!). I wish they could make a deal with Netflix and the Stargate could return in a glorious way.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              An average episode was 2.2-2.5 million dollar.
                              Oh hell no, Origins sure did not have that kind of budget to work with.

It even looks that their budget was so extremely tight they couldn't afford shipping an entire DHD from Switzerland so they shipped the top, and got the bottom from the PropStore guys, which had just been bought by the Swiss guy who already had the top.

Hell, Disney once flew Rey's speederbike which we built to the US, to Barcelona for a weekend, and back to the US. Nope, Vanishing Angle's budget for Origins was nowhere near the millions.

Comment

Working...
                              X