Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batwoman (CW series) -- discussion/speculation (please tag spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And in news that should surprise no-one at this point: a-holes have bullied Ruby Rose off Twitter
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      And in news that should surprise no-one at this point: a-holes have bullied Ruby Rose off Twitter
      Don't get me wrong...between this and Starfire on Titans I do agree that some of the decisions being made by producers are...iffy (not the race issue on Starfire, just the costume issue).

But seriously...those idiots need to **** right off.
      sigpic

Comment

I gave up on CW's other super hero series as they degenerated in quality each passing season and the age of their target audience seems to be just kids if the quality of the writing is anything to go by. I'm not holding out much hope for this either.

Comment

I thought Ruby Rose was a very strange choice. And based on what little I've seen her in, I wasn't even really ready to say she was a good one. But seeing the Backlash makes me want to root for her. I don't think any of the CW chows are really all that good anymore, but I'll give her a shot.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I've never seen Rose in anything, period, I have no opinion of her either way. I admit I'm skeptical of the reasons for attacking her in that article;
            Rose (Orange Is The New Black, The Meg) recently received heavy backlash from critics for being cast as the lesbian superhero in a new CW series.

Mostly, the criticism was of the decision to cast a non-Jewish person as a traditionally Jewish character, but others simply claimed she wasn't a good enough actor to take on the role.
            "traditionally Jewish character"? Many folks haven't even heard of Batwoman till now, how would they know she was Jewish or not? "Not a good enough actor"? Although I don't watch it, "Orange" seems to be a popular show, and I don't recall reading any articles slamming that show. That leaves me thinking that folks are really bent out of shape over her choice to be a Lesbian.

Myself, I will try the show, but I don't expect it to become a staple of my fare for the simple reason that like rest of the CW's superhero shows, I expect it will contain a lot of romantic content; who is hooking up with who and such. Supergirl and to a lesser extent, Legends are already stuffed to the rafters with this nonsense. I don't watch a show like this for that kind of content, regardless of what gender is involved. There are other shows for that kind of thing such as "Grey Anatomy".

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
              I thought Ruby Rose was a very strange choice. And based on what little I've seen her in, I wasn't even really ready to say she was a good one.
              The few things I've seen her in she comes across a bit cold/not good with other people -- which is pretty accurate to Kate Kane.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You'll have to excuse Annoyed. He still lives in the 1970s. This kind of reminds me of when SGU days when I kind of started a campaign to defend the Chloe character when everyone was mocking her because of a casting call
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Saw that, and I just wanted to start following her.

The hate is very strong in the CW-circles -- and it's almost always towards both character and the actor who portrays them. Hate a character all you like, but when you seem to be unable to distinguish character from actor, we're having a problem.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

A little surprised that we don't already have a thread for this, so here goes: Batwoman is joining the Arrowverse this year!

It was announced a little while ago that the Arrowverse's big crossover event this year will feature Batwoman, and it's now been confirmed that the crossover event will serve as the introduction/backdoor pilot for the character in this universe.

What I found most surprising is that CW has managed to convince none other than Ruby Rose (Orange is the New Black, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter) to star as Kate Kane/Batwoman. I think that's kind of perfect.

I need to catch up on Arrow...>.>
                    Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    I've never seen Rose in anything, period, I have no opinion of her either way. I admit I'm skeptical of the reasons for attacking her in that article;

"traditionally Jewish character"? Many folks haven't even heard of Batwoman till now, how would they know she was Jewish or not? "Not a good enough actor"? Although I don't watch it, "Orange" seems to be a popular show, and I don't recall reading any articles slamming that show. That leaves me thinking that folks are really bent out of shape over her choice to be a Lesbian.

Myself, I will try the show, but I don't expect it to become a staple of my fare for the simple reason that like rest of the CW's superhero shows, I expect it will contain a lot of romantic content; who is hooking up with who and such. Supergirl and to a lesser extent, Legends are already stuffed to the rafters with this nonsense. I don't watch a show like this for that kind of content, regardless of what gender is involved. There are other shows for that kind of thing such as "Grey Anatomy".
                    It's about the actress not being Jewish playing a Jewish character. I mean if their problem was that Batwoman is gay...um...isn't she supposed to be gay? And it wouldn't be the first gay character in the Arrowverse or in Arrow.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    You'll have to excuse Annoyed. He still lives in the 1970s. This kind of reminds me of when SGU days when I kind of started a campaign to defend the Chloe character when everyone was mocking her because of a casting call
                    I vaguely remembered that. The one time I was warned by a mod for a post, I overstepped in my choice of words defending Chloe's dip in a pond or something like that.

I Wonder if Cote de Pablo, a Latin actress, ever got any flak for playing Ziva David in NCIS...

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Saw that, and I just wanted to start following her.

The hate is very strong in the CW-circles -- and it's almost always towards both character and the actor who portrays them. Hate a character all you like, but when you seem to be unable to distinguish character from actor, we're having a problem.
                    I blame twitter, I seriously do. It has popularized and enabled this sort of thing.

EDIT: I'm confused. I did some googling and apparently she's not a gay actress and thus the anger? I'm lost.
                    Last edited by aretood2; 18 August 2018, 07:30 AM.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      It's about the actress not being Jewish playing a Jewish character. I mean if their problem was that Batwoman is gay...um...isn't she supposed to be gay? And it wouldn't be the first gay character in the Arrowverse or in Arrow.
                      What the heck difference does the real life religion or gender status of an actor have to do with their ability to play a part?

Try turning that around. Suppose I said that a gay, jewish or whatever other "group" you want actor couldn't play a part because he,she or it did not match what that character was? I'd be skinned alive before I could finish the sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        What the heck difference does the real life religion or gender status of an actor have to do with their ability to play a part?

Try turning that around. Suppose I said that a gay, jewish or whatever other "group" you want actor couldn't play a part because he,she or it did not match what that character was? I'd be skinned alive before I could finish the sentence.
                        I think you missed the point. She is gay. Which is why I was even more confused.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

I think you missed the point. She is gay. Which is why I was even more confused.
                          Maybe I did. What difference does the orientation of either the character or the actress make?

Comment

Don't try to understand twitter mobs. Half the time they're just bots out to agitate anyway.

Comment

Also trolls. Twitter has a lot of them to.

Okay serious question since im pretty ignorant about Batwoman. Does she have her own villians or does she pretty much fight Batman's enemies
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Also trolls. Twitter has a lot of them to.

Okay serious question since im pretty ignorant about Batwoman. Does she have her own villians or does she pretty much fight Batman's enemies
                                I've only heard of her and seen some images, but never saw/read anything beyond one comic I think, many years ago. The villain she was fighting was some doomsday cult thingy not related to Batman so I think so. But I'd imagine that they would share some villains.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X