Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Batwoman (CW series) -- discussion/speculation (please tag spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    I thought Ruby Rose was a very strange choice. And based on what little I've seen her in, I wasn't even really ready to say she was a good one.
    The few things I've seen her in she comes across a bit cold/not good with other people -- which is pretty accurate to Kate Kane.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Default Re: Batwoman (CW series) -- discussion/speculation (please tag spoilers)

You'll have to excuse Annoyed. He still lives in the 1970s. This kind of reminds me of when SGU days when I kind of started a campaign to defend the Chloe character when everyone was mocking her because of a casting call
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    And in news that should surprise no-one at this point: a-holes have bullied Ruby Rose off Twitter
    Saw that, and I just wanted to start following her.

The hate is very strong in the CW-circles -- and it's almost always towards both character and the actor who portrays them. Hate a character all you like, but when you seem to be unable to distinguish character from actor, we're having a problem.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

A little surprised that we don't already have a thread for this, so here goes: Batwoman is joining the Arrowverse this year!

It was announced a little while ago that the Arrowverse's big crossover event this year will feature Batwoman, and it's now been confirmed that the crossover event will serve as the introduction/backdoor pilot for the character in this universe.

What I found most surprising is that CW has managed to convince none other than Ruby Rose (Orange is the New Black, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter) to star as Kate Kane/Batwoman. I think that's kind of perfect.

I need to catch up on Arrow...>.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I've never seen Rose in anything, period, I have no opinion of her either way. I admit I'm skeptical of the reasons for attacking her in that article;

"traditionally Jewish character"? Many folks haven't even heard of Batwoman till now, how would they know she was Jewish or not? "Not a good enough actor"? Although I don't watch it, "Orange" seems to be a popular show, and I don't recall reading any articles slamming that show. That leaves me thinking that folks are really bent out of shape over her choice to be a Lesbian.

Myself, I will try the show, but I don't expect it to become a staple of my fare for the simple reason that like rest of the CW's superhero shows, I expect it will contain a lot of romantic content; who is hooking up with who and such. Supergirl and to a lesser extent, Legends are already stuffed to the rafters with this nonsense. I don't watch a show like this for that kind of content, regardless of what gender is involved. There are other shows for that kind of thing such as "Grey Anatomy".
    It's about the actress not being Jewish playing a Jewish character. I mean if their problem was that Batwoman is gay...um...isn't she supposed to be gay? And it wouldn't be the first gay character in the Arrowverse or in Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    You'll have to excuse Annoyed. He still lives in the 1970s. This kind of reminds me of when SGU days when I kind of started a campaign to defend the Chloe character when everyone was mocking her because of a casting call
    I vaguely remembered that. The one time I was warned by a mod for a post, I overstepped in my choice of words defending Chloe's dip in a pond or something like that.

And in news that should surprise no-one at this point: a-holes have bullied Ruby Rose off Twitter
    I Wonder if Cote de Pablo, a Latin actress, ever got any flak for playing Ziva David in NCIS...

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Saw that, and I just wanted to start following her.

The hate is very strong in the CW-circles -- and it's almost always towards both character and the actor who portrays them. Hate a character all you like, but when you seem to be unable to distinguish character from actor, we're having a problem.
    I blame twitter, I seriously do. It has popularized and enabled this sort of thing.

EDIT: I'm confused. I did some googling and apparently she's not a gay actress and thus the anger? I'm lost.
    Last edited by aretood2; August 18th, 2018 at 07:30 AM.

It's about the actress not being Jewish playing a Jewish character. I mean if their problem was that Batwoman is gay...um...isn't she supposed to be gay? And it wouldn't be the first gay character in the Arrowverse or in Arrow.
    What the heck difference does the real life religion or gender status of an actor have to do with their ability to play a part?

Try turning that around. Suppose I said that a gay, jewish or whatever other "group" you want actor couldn't play a part because he,she or it did not match what that character was? I'd be skinned alive before I could finish the sentence.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    What the heck difference does the real life religion or gender status of an actor have to do with their ability to play a part?

Try turning that around. Suppose I said that a gay, jewish or whatever other "group" you want actor couldn't play a part because he,she or it did not match what that character was? I'd be skinned alive before I could finish the sentence.
    I think you missed the point. She is gay. Which is why I was even more confused.

I think you missed the point. She is gay. Which is why I was even more confused.
    Maybe I did. What difference does the orientation of either the character or the actress make?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Don't try to understand twitter mobs. Half the time they're just bots out to agitate anyway.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Also trolls. Twitter has a lot of them to.

Okay serious question since im pretty ignorant about Batwoman. Does she have her own villians or does she pretty much fight Batman's enemies
    Jelgate is right

Okay serious question since im pretty ignorant about Batwoman. Does she have her own villians or does she pretty much fight Batman's enemies
    I've only heard of her and seen some images, but never saw/read anything beyond one comic I think, many years ago. The villain she was fighting was some doomsday cult thingy not related to Batman so I think so. But I'd imagine that they would share some villains.

She has a number of her own, who are (to me) pretty unremarkable.

Since 2016 she's effectively been the lead character in Detective Comics, where she is recruited by Batman to bring together Batman allies to fight as a team against [insert villain of the story arc here]. The team operates in Gotham and has consisted variously of Batman, Batwoman, Red Robin, Orphan, Spoiler, Azrael, a reformed Clayface, Batwing, and occasionally with help from Batgirl and Nightwing. So, naturally, they fight a lot of Gotham-based villains.

She has a number of her own, who are (to me) pretty unremarkable.

Since 2016 she's effectively been the lead character in Detective Comics, where she is recruited by Batman to bring together Batman allies to fight as a team against [insert villain of the story arc here]. The team operates in Gotham and has consisted variously of Batman, Batwoman, Red Robin, Orphan, Spoiler, Azrael, a reformed Clayface, Batwing, and occasionally with help from Batgirl and Nightwing. So, naturally, they fight a lot of Gotham-based villains.
    With that many superhero crime fighters, how does Gotham have any crime at all?

Security at Blackgate/Arkham is terrible?

Security at Blackgate/Arkham is terrible?
    I mean, Gotham has been like a Detroit meets Mogadishu plus Las Vegas on superpowered steroids.

Gamespot article on the history of Batwoman...says largely what I already posted in this thread, but adds a few contextual details that I left out, if anyone’s interested.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

It's about the actress not being Jewish playing a Jewish character. I mean if their problem was that Batwoman is gay...um...isn't she supposed to be gay?
    Same old, same old then.

I Wonder if Cote de Pablo, a Latin actress, ever got any flak for playing Ziva David in NCIS...
    Let me see...

Nope, can't find anything, except for a criticism on the character itself but not because it's Cote playing her. Just a general criticism on the kind of character.

And now I realize once again that I really miss Ziva on NCIS... Though love Eleonor too.

I blame twitter, I seriously do. It has popularized and enabled this sort of thing.
    Don't try to understand twitter mobs. Half the time they're just bots out to agitate anyway.
    indeed.

I mean, Gotham has been like a Detroit meets Mogadishu plus Las Vegas on superpowered steroids.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I have an animated Batwoman movie running around somewhere. My daughter is excited that Batwoman is joining the tv verse.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

And here is your first photo of Ruby Rose’s Batwoman!

588DD8C0-CA4C-483E-B22F-3FEEC7A9ED49.jpeg

That costume looks on point.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

I like the way the colour and texturing of the cape makes it look a bit brown and slightly furry--like a bat's wing.