Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batwoman (CW series) -- discussion/speculation (please tag spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batwoman (CW series) -- discussion/speculation (please tag spoilers)

A little surprised that we don't already have a thread for this, so here goes: Batwoman is joining the Arrowverse this year!

It was announced a little while ago that the Arrowverse's big crossover event this year will feature Batwoman, and it's now been confirmed that the crossover event will serve as the introduction/backdoor pilot for the character in this universe.

What I found most surprising is that CW has managed to convince none other than Ruby Rose (Orange is the New Black, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter) to star as Kate Kane/Batwoman. I think that's kind of perfect.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Ruby Rose just doesn't look convincing as a fighter and that the main problem I have Supergirl Melissa Benoist she unable sale the fact she one of the most powerful beings on the planet.

Comment

Dammit, children, it's Batgirl, not Batwoman.

Comment

We have been over this before. Comic book characters are more than your 1960s versions
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Dammit, children, it's Batgirl, not Batwoman.
          Cat Grant would like to have a word with you about that.

I'm unfamiliar with the story of Batwoman (or girl) but I welcome more CW superhero shows. I literally am in love with the entire set. That is Legends of Tomorrow (Beebo rules!), Arrow, Supergirl, Black Lightning and The Flash.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Cat Grant would like to have a word with you about that.

I'm unfamiliar with the story of Batwoman (or girl) but I welcome more CW superhero shows. I literally am in love with the entire set. That is Legends of Tomorrow (Beebo rules!), Arrow, Supergirl, Black Lightning and The Flash.
            She can make an appointment with my secretary, and I'll tell her the same damned thing. They ought to at least make the same character as the original that they are bringing back.

As far as I know, Batgirl is Commissioner Gordon's daughter, who copied Batman.

I watch Supergirl due to being part of the Superman franchise and Legends, mostly due to Mick Rory. I've been exposed to Flash and Arrow via crossovers, but never saw anything interesting enough to start watching either. Never even seen Bl.

I'm not drawn to watching anything new from Berlanti's stable, there is far too much emo / romance crap in them.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              We have been over this before. Comic book characters are more than your 1960s versions
              Comic trivia: Batwoman first appeared in 1956. Batgirl didn’t appear until five years later, in 1961. (But yes, I know you meant the TV show)
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

As far as I know, Batgirl is Commissioner Gordon's daughter, who copied Batman.
                Ah, a copycat...
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Just like Supergirl
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Comic trivia: Batwoman first appeared in 1956. Batgirl didn’t appear until five years later, in 1961. (But yes, I know you meant the TV show)
                    Interesting. I had never heard of "Batwoman". Maybe the Batman TV show got it wrong.

Comment

Interesting. I had never heard of "Batwoman". Maybe the Batman TV show got it wrong.
                      I'm not from the paleolithic like Annoyed but I for sure never heard of a Bat''woman'' either.
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

She really hasn't left the comics that much unlike Batgirl which is kind of my point with only using TV and films as your reference
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Okay, history lesson time.

So in the early 1950s, self-proclaimed moral crusaders had been relentlessly attacking comics in general. Among various other criticisms (largely ridiculous), one of the ones lobbed at Batman was that he and Robin were homosexuals (gasp). So DC and other publishers were looking for ways to shift their comic lines to sate these self-righteous idiots, and a few years earlier had found success in the Superman lines by introducing a “Superman family” — characters not necessarily related to Clark, but gave him a supporting cast of friends, family, love interests, etc. So DC applied the same to the Batman lines, and the “Bat family” was born.

One of the first of these new characters was Kathy Kane aka Batwoman, introduced in July 1956’s Detective Comics #233. She pulled double duty for DC: she was both a female analogue of Batman, and also quelled those gay rumours by being a love interest for Bruce Wayne.

Betty Kane/Batgirl (or, at the time, “Bat-Girl”) wasn’t introduced for another five years, making her debut in April 1961’s Batman #122. Here she served in a similar capacity with Robin as Batwoman did with Batman — a younger crime fighter (close to Robin’s age), who in her non-masked form was a love interest for Dick Grayson.

In the mid-60s, Detective Comics got a new editor who thought many of the characters introduced in the 50s were absurd, and so the title was revamped again. Kathy Kane/Batwoman was taken out of the lineup and would make only sporadic appearances again until 1979, when the Batwoman character was retired for several decades. Bat-Girl was dropped for similar reasons.

This was shortly before the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman TV series started its run. After it had been running for a couple of seasons, the DC brass requested that a female character be developed, in order to attract girls and women to both the comics and the TV series. A couple of the writers got together, and thus the Barbara Gordon version of Batgirl was born. This Batgirl debuted first in Detective Comics #359 in January 1967 (and in the fall of that year on TV, portrayed by Yvonne Craig).

The Batman TV show didn’t survive that season on television, but the Batgirl character certainly did. Counting Barbara, there have been four different Batgirls over the decades since 1967, with rarely any break in her appearances (whether under her own titles or appearing in other lines).

Batwoman, meanwhile, sat most of the next few decades out. She was finally reintroduced (this time her mask-less alter ego is Kate Kane) in 52 #11, in 2006. She survived a while in the old continuity, was reintroduced again in DC’s New 52 reboot in 2011 in her own title, and then again when DC began their Rebirth event/reboot in 2016. Since 2016 she has been one of the lead characters of Detective Comics, and in 2017 also got her own title again (in addition to continuing as a lead in Detective Comics).

So, it’s perfectly understandable why a lot of people haven’t heard of Batwoman. She spent a lot of years sidelined and forgotten about. But she was here first

Comment

And here I thought the reason behind the name *woman* was to be politically correct in our time and age.

I am shocked, thanks.
                            Spoiler:
                            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Batwoman and Batgirl are two separate characters. The modern version of Batwoman is a fairly recent creation. In fact, she honestly feels like she's essentially a separate character from the original version too.

Her only significant appearance outside of comics before now was the animated film "Batman: Bad Blood."
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                              X