Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mandalorian: Speculation/Discussion (please tag spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was announced today that this will be a launch title for Disney+, which goes live on November 12. So I guess we have a premiere date!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Celebration panel for this is live right now:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1117455045832974336

So far it's Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, and Carl Weathers on stage.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Everything revealed at the panel.

Comment

Stuff from the panel (livestream has now ended) that I've been able to jot down...

Pedro Pascal is playing the titular Mandalorian (no name given yet). He is a bounty hunter, gunfighter, "a badass," and "of questionable moral character." Pascal says he has "a lot of Clint Eastwood in him," and that for research, Favreau had him watch a lot of Sergeo Leone and Akira Kurosawa.

Gina Carano is playing Cara Dune (good possibility I've spelled that wrong, but that's how it's pronounced). Dune is an ex-Rebel shock trooper, and a bit of a loner who is having trouble reintegrating into society now that the war is over.

Carl Weathers is playing Greef Karga (again good odds I spelled that wrong). He's the head of a group/gang of bounty hunters, and is looking to find someone to go after a product that he can sell to a wealthy client for a big profit. He's the guy who hires the Mandalorian to do the job.

Favreau says that they tried to treat it like Iron Man in that it's accessible to newcomers, but they've put a lot of care into it so that longtime fans will have tons to enjoy.

There is a lot of puppetry and animatronics because they felt that practical effects were very important. They even told a whole story about how the Mandalorian's ship, which was meant to be a CGI model, ended up for a lot of shots being a miniature. They decided to try it just to see if they could do it, and it ballooned into this huge cross-department Lucasfilm thing where even people not working on it were coming out to workshops and such just to learn and see how the show was doing it. Some of the crew members were having so much fun that they were working on the models and even building camera-tracking mechanisms using handheld digital video cameras at home in their garages. It just sounds like they were having a ton of fun. And the ship? It's called the "Razorcrest."

Another anecdote....the show came 100% from Jon Favreau, he came up with the idea and pitched it to Kathy Kennedy when he already had four scripts done because he didn't want to get greenlighted on one and then get into conflict over what the show was about. We knew this already, but Dave Filoni expanded on it by saying that one day he got a script submitted from Favreau that was dated December 25. Being the holidays, he elected to ignore it for a while...and then he received a text from Favreau saying "I've knitted socks faster than you read" and attached a picture of his feet in Boba Fett socks

Anecdote #3: In an episode where "vestiges of the Empire" are involved, they did some filming with stormtroopers and realized they didn't have enough stormtrooper uniforms/armour. So they called up the 501st Legion fan club to get a bunch of them to come out. Now...it's not unheard-of for Lucasfilm to do this for events and cons and such, so a lot of the 501st people who came out didn't even realize what they were there for until the saw Favreau and Pascal in the Mandalorian armour. And on the other foot...for a while that day, Gina Carano didn't realize that they weren't actors in costume, until someone told her

They also played a clip for the audience, but it was blacked out on the livestream so I don't know what it was Hopefully it turns up online sometime soon
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 14 April 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

It sounds very-very promising. Rise, Mandalorian!
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Right...so some guy taking 10 minutes to recap what I wrote in six paragraphs

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Right...so some guy taking 10 minutes to recap what I wrote in six paragraphs
                  Just put it there for the visuals dude.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I know, I'm just griefing

Actually the video is especially perfect for the thing about the ship miniature and all that went on with that. The visuals of the intricate work they were doing say so much more than can be done with words.

Comment

Of course there is no reason why Sabine could not appear in it...

Comment

I am looking forward to this show! Lets get more into all of the great possibilities the SW's 'universe' has to offer!

That was the only thing I liked about SOLO; we got to see stories of the crime world that was connected to both the Empire and the Rebellion; stories about people who are NOT Skywalkers!

And, we finally got a view of some non storm trooper units of the Imperial Army! A small thing I know- but doesn't it irk you knowing that the Empire is so much more then Storm troopers and TIE fighters yet we have hardly seen anything else on screen (movie or tv)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_X4EEJ36t8
                        Last edited by magi877; 27 April 2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                          Of course there is no reason why Sabine could not appear in it...
                          I think that’d be pretty cool! I think it’d be even cooler if they did it so that she never takes off the helmet, so Tota Sircar can voice her in live-action too!

Comment

I say anything is possible right?

last we know-from REBELS-she is out there with Ahsoka looking for Ezra

I hope the show is well written and made and sticks around for awhile

but--the standard SW's haters (who swear they are fans) are already pushing the doom and gloom on this and the new season of Clone Wars

been 'fighting the fight' on this and all that is canon vs their opinion of "if it has never been in the movies (no tv shows) then it is not canon and never happened"

but that is at at the other 'gate' site and I have become very jaded from my exposure there :?(

forgive me if any of my posts drift into the realm of catharsis

Comment

I'm not sure what the point would be of pushing 'doom and gloom' for the new Clone Wars....it's only going to be 12 episodes, and that's all it was ever going to be. It's not in danger of cancellation, because that's all it was ever going to consist of

Also, canon is what Disney says it is. That's not an argument, that's just some people being wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                                I'm not sure what the point would be of pushing 'doom and gloom' for the new Clone Wars....it's only going to be 12 episodes, and that's all it was ever going to be. It's not in danger of cancellation, because that's all it was ever going to consist of

Also, canon is what Disney says it is. That's not an argument, that's just some people being wrong.
                                the doom is the way some people --mainly ST fans- who are projecting their hatred and disappointment over nuTrek and Star Trek discovery, onto the SW's franchise

that is "this all is going to suck; disney is just retconning everything to make cash (as if ST is a not for profit endeavor?), etc,etc

i'd tell you where to find this stuff--so I could share my pain -- in a PM if you sent me one. i dont know if we can mention other sites 'in public' here

Comment

Working...
                                X