Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The Mandalorian: Speculation/Discussion (please tag spoilers)

Full cast announcement at StarWars.com. Cast will consist of:

Pedro Pascal as the titular Mandalorian. Pascal is best known for his roles as Oberyn Martell in Game of Thrones and Javier Peña in Narcos.

Gina Carano, an MMA fighter who has branched out to acting and is known for her roles as Angel Dust in Deadpool (the villain's female henchman/muscle) and Riley in Fast & Furious 6.

Giancarlo Esposito, known to many as Gus Fring from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Emily Swallow, who broke through as Dina in Southland, and has since made herself known to genre fans as Kim in The Mentalist and Amara in Supernatural.

Omid Abtahi, who has a pretty extensive resume for a guy who only started acting in 2005. Notable credits include appearances in 24, The Event, Fringe, Homeland, Better Call Saul, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, and a role on American Gods.

Werner Herzog, who besides having 30-odd acting credits to his name is also a fairly well-known director who did Grizzly Man.

And finally Nick Nolte, who has acting credits going back to 1969, so if you don't know who he is, I can't help you
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

"Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Not a huge revelation, but from The Hollywood Reporter writer Borys Kit:

Sources tell me the story is set about 5 years after the events of Return of the Jedi and is set in the Outer Rim, where people don't know and don't care that the Empire has fallen. Gives them latitude in telling certain stories.

The Mandalorian will have a soundtrack scored by Ludwig Göransson.

Göransson has composed memorable soundtracks for some of the biggest and most lauded movies in recent memory, including Black Panther (for which he has earned Golden Globe Award and Grammy nominations), Creed, Creed II, Venom, and Fruitvale Station. In the realm of television, his credits include the beloved Community and New Girl.

Göransson has produced records for Haim and Chance The Rapper, and he recently received three Grammy nominations for his work with Donald Glover (who should be familiar to Star Wars fans as the young Lando Calrissian in Solo: A Star Wars Story) on the latest Childish Gambino album.

Yaaay

Jon Favreau confirms that IG-88 will be making an appearance.

Looks like someone let slip that they’ve wrapped production on (Season 1 of) The Mandalorian, before they thought to/were told to take the post down:

https://twitter.com/StarWarsNewsNet/...04586427715584

It was announced today that this will be a launch title for Disney+, which goes live on November 12. So I guess we have a premiere date!

Celebration panel for this is live right now:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1117455045832974336

So far it's Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, and Carl Weathers on stage.

Stuff from the panel (livestream has now ended) that I've been able to jot down...

Pedro Pascal is playing the titular Mandalorian (no name given yet). He is a bounty hunter, gunfighter, "a badass," and "of questionable moral character." Pascal says he has "a lot of Clint Eastwood in him," and that for research, Favreau had him watch a lot of Sergeo Leone and Akira Kurosawa.

Gina Carano is playing Cara Dune (good possibility I've spelled that wrong, but that's how it's pronounced). Dune is an ex-Rebel shock trooper, and a bit of a loner who is having trouble reintegrating into society now that the war is over.

Carl Weathers is playing Greef Karga (again good odds I spelled that wrong). He's the head of a group/gang of bounty hunters, and is looking to find someone to go after a product that he can sell to a wealthy client for a big profit. He's the guy who hires the Mandalorian to do the job.

Favreau says that they tried to treat it like Iron Man in that it's accessible to newcomers, but they've put a lot of care into it so that longtime fans will have tons to enjoy.

There is a lot of puppetry and animatronics because they felt that practical effects were very important. They even told a whole story about how the Mandalorian's ship, which was meant to be a CGI model, ended up for a lot of shots being a miniature. They decided to try it just to see if they could do it, and it ballooned into this huge cross-department Lucasfilm thing where even people not working on it were coming out to workshops and such just to learn and see how the show was doing it. Some of the crew members were having so much fun that they were working on the models and even building camera-tracking mechanisms using handheld digital video cameras at home in their garages. It just sounds like they were having a ton of fun. And the ship? It's called the "Razorcrest."

Another anecdote....the show came 100% from Jon Favreau, he came up with the idea and pitched it to Kathy Kennedy when he already had four scripts done because he didn't want to get greenlighted on one and then get into conflict over what the show was about. We knew this already, but Dave Filoni expanded on it by saying that one day he got a script submitted from Favreau that was dated December 25. Being the holidays, he elected to ignore it for a while...and then he received a text from Favreau saying "I've knitted socks faster than you read" and attached a picture of his feet in Boba Fett socks

Anecdote #3: In an episode where "vestiges of the Empire" are involved, they did some filming with stormtroopers and realized they didn't have enough stormtrooper uniforms/armour. So they called up the 501st Legion fan club to get a bunch of them to come out. Now...it's not unheard-of for Lucasfilm to do this for events and cons and such, so a lot of the 501st people who came out didn't even realize what they were there for until the saw Favreau and Pascal in the Mandalorian armour. And on the other foot...for a while that day, Gina Carano didn't realize that they weren't actors in costume, until someone told her

They also played a clip for the audience, but it was blacked out on the livestream so I don't know what it was Hopefully it turns up online sometime soon
    Last edited by DigiFluid; April 14th, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

It sounds very-very promising. Rise, Mandalorian!
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Right...so some guy taking 10 minutes to recap what I wrote in six paragraphs

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Right...so some guy taking 10 minutes to recap what I wrote in six paragraphs
    Just put it there for the visuals dude.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

I know, I'm just griefing

Actually the video is especially perfect for the thing about the ship miniature and all that went on with that. The visuals of the intricate work they were doing say so much more than can be done with words.

Staff Sergeant

Of course there is no reason why Sabine could not appear in it...