Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Untitled Captain Picard series - speculation/discussion/spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by planet_tv View Post
    Virtual Green for posting this, since I can't green you again yet. I was thinking about finding this and posting this so I'm glad someone did.
    I have to say, I saw the full announcement online too and it keeps making me tear up whenever I see it.

I started watching TNG with my dad and my brother when I was very young. I must have been at most two or three. So I've always had a connection to Star Trek and Picard in particular. When my dad passed away I was about 9 years old and I think like a lot of people in that situation I found a lot of comfort in a ton of different sci-fi, but it was Star Trek and Picard especially that helped me through those times. So just thinking of seeing a show where we see an older Picard but still with the same morals and same drive to do good makes me feel far more emotional than I would have thought it would.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Virtual Green for posting this, since I can't green you again yet. I was thinking about finding this and posting this so I'm glad someone did.
    My virtual green knows no bounds

Seriously though, it just answers my own question about the setting, and I can get a bit bulldog-ish about things, and it's nice to share.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    I have to say, I saw the full announcement online too and it keeps making me tear up whenever I see it.

I started watching TNG with my dad and my brother when I was very young. I must have been at most two or three. So I've always had a connection to Star Trek and Picard in particular. When my dad passed away I was about 9 years old and I think like a lot of people in that situation I found a lot of comfort in a ton of different sci-fi, but it was Star Trek and Picard especially that helped me through those times. So just thinking of seeing a show where we see an older Picard but still with the same morals and same drive to do good makes me feel far more emotional than I would have thought it would.

It's no surprise that Picard can be a surrogate father figure.

One of my favourite bits:
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

WOW!!!!! Loving this thread.

I still refuse to pay for CBS All Access on principle. If you pay for it you'll only encourage more of the same from every network and TV franchise you can imagine. This is SUPER tough. Before this announcement I felt that it would be a tough call if they ever brought back Picard, or better still Picard and Data. I still just can't see myself giving in. As it is I am paying for so many different services and this is not how I want things to continue. I truly believe we should all pay for the channels we want to see without having to give in to whatever Cable TV wants us to pay to watch, but this doesn't seem like a feasible way with these monthly subscription prices.

Having said this we all know Looney's righteous attitude will crumble if anything like this happens with Babylon 5.

SO I don't think I saw anyone put this out there yet, but I think we all know there is a clear path for Data's return. What about other cast members?

I definitely want to see future Wesley Crusher. That may not be a popular wish, but I've been watching TNG in order for the first time, having only seen episodes here and there in the past. As far as the actual material in the show goes I just don't see why Wesley received so much ill will. Definitely an annoying part of the show at times, but overall I never felt like, "This character is terrible and I wish he wasn't on the show." Is it all just from the politics of the show when it was originally on? For the sake of clarity I am about to finish Season Four, so Wesley has already departed for Star Fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post

I still refuse to pay for CBS All Access on principle. If you pay for it you'll only encourage more of the same from every network and TV franchise you can imagine. This is SUPER tough. Before this announcement I felt that it would be a tough call if they ever brought back Picard, or better still Picard and Data. I still just can't see myself giving in. As it is I am paying for so many different services and this is not how I want things to continue. I truly believe we should all pay for the channels we want to see without having to give in to whatever Cable TV wants us to pay to watch, but this doesn't seem like a feasible way with these monthly subscription prices.

Having said this we all know Looney's righteous attitude will crumble if anything like this happens with Babylon 5.

SO I don't think I saw anyone put this out there yet, but I think we all know there is a clear path for Data's return. What about other cast members?

I definitely want to see future Wesley Crusher. That may not be a popular wish, but I've been watching TNG in order for the first time, having only seen episodes here and there in the past. As far as the actual material in the show goes I just don't see why Wesley received so much ill will. Definitely an annoying part of the show at times, but overall I never felt like, "This character is terrible and I wish he wasn't on the show." Is it all just from the politics of the show when it was originally on? For the sake of clarity I am about to finish Season Four, so Wesley has already departed for Star Fleet.
    I'd probably feel the same if Access was a thing over here... Fortunately all this stuff will likely just show up on Netflix.

Also don't jump on the bandwagon for Babylon 5. Cos I'm not confident that they'd be able to re-start that franchise well at all.

I never minded Wesley either but I don't really see much opportunity for him to grow more as a character. But I agree it'd be a great opportunity to introduce a ton of other past characters and catch up with them.

I'd love a show which features the Federation's first intergalactic expedition. Not just one ship but a fleet of explorers and cruisers and transports and colony ships. Using some Borg Transwarp to push themselves out to another Galaxy and try to establish a new civilisation made up of many different Federation races.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Since this is the Picard Thread, The Picard Song:

I also happened to find this video: Captain Picard's best inspirational speeches
    Last edited by planet_tv; August 6th, 2018 at 10:27 AM.

Signs by Scifan and me. | MY Website - Planet TV | My Sanctuary RPG | My Stargate SG-1 & SGA RPG |
    My Mini City - Rygel City

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post

I don't like the idea either, and that's why I haven't seen Discovery; I won't pay for a single channel like this. I don't mind an amalgamator like Netflix, but buying each channel is too expensive.

But I think that's the way the industry is going to go over the long haul. =(
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Since this is the Picard Thread, The Picard Song:

I also happened to find this video: Captain Picard's best inspirational speeches
    Oh my god, I haven't seen that in years!
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

full announcement by Patrick:

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    reading that thread, Pirate Picard would fit right in with the discovery universe.

Discovery is in the Prime timeline. Captain Picard has only ever been portrayed in the Prime timeline (albeit 120something years later). Patrick Stewart is returning as Picard, as he said in his own public statement. There is no part of what you just said that makes sense.
    He didn't say it would be the Picard that we all know an love. An I haven't heard anything ruling out it being a different type of Picard. An I don't trust Kurtzman and the current gang run star trek.

Again: what? Viacom only holds the rights to release films, while CBS holds the rights to create and broadcast TV serie
    There has been chatter on the internet for years that CBS and Viacom each can't use certain elements of star trek because the other hold the copyright. An that why both have design their own universe that bare little to no resemblance to STNG or TOS.

Oh my god, I haven't seen that in years!
    I last posted that video last year in the TNG 30th anniversary Gateworld theme thread so I got the link from there rather use Chrome's ugly new bookmark manager to get it. Maybe it could be the unofficial theme song for the thread while the show's in the planning stages.

Signs by Scifan and me. | MY Website - Planet TV | My Sanctuary RPG | My Stargate SG-1 & SGA RPG |

I think this is what Spock would say about the news:

Last edited by planet_tv; August 7th, 2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Forgot the word is in my sentence.

Chief Master Sergeant

heroes a wild guess to a several part episode, they are dispatched to Romulas to help evacuation plans for unnecessary personnel and to then proceed to act as a vanguard for the arrival of a shipment of a new mysterious substance

capable of helping to stabilize Romulases Star in the first move to cement and secure a permanent and positive trusting relationship between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire... will the Klingon Empire interfere or help or appear at all who knows...

but the stars and the cards may reveal a different fate if the scientific industrial source of this mysterious new substance fails to produce a sufficient quantity in time and to ship it their successfully with a proper delivery mechanism

Chief Master Sergeant

honostly without getting to watch this as a kid i would have been alot more devoid of interesting things, it was the early nineties and we had not much money and i spent most the days alone to the point i may have been depressed and not even known it etc

or maybe i just felt alone and spent all my time by self not trying to reach out to do stuff with others, i have no idea i suppose, i was pretty much alone and broken... .or atleast not fully put together back then... not very productive and the internet and computers werent really a thing and beyond my grasp... just like alot of things financially and otherwise i was just poor.... and a alonely kid.... yay for life improving sometimes with some good fortunes if not alot at times :/

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Also don't jump on the bandwagon for Babylon 5. Cos I'm not confident that they'd be able to re-start that franchise well at all.
    I DISAGREE!!!!! ....

But to your point I would say it is about the wording. If you were to say that you are "not confident that they'd be able to" SUCCESSFULLY "restart that franchsie" I might agree - defining success in terms of financial success. But if we're talking about quality of material then you are very wrong. One thing Babylon 5 has going for it that few other franchises have is that it all comes from the same source. If Warner Brothers was to try to restart Babylon 5 without J. Michael Straczynski then you might have a point. But if the source is once again JMS then there is going to be some degree of quality. I'm not saying he is perfect. He has definitely chosen some ill conceived plots and dialogue in the past, but even his weaker efforts hold a high level of quality storytelling. I'm confident that any Babylon 5 reboot or continuation will have quality substance to it, but unfortunately at this juncture it might not be a financial success.

But back to Picard, the CBS ALL ACCESS YEARS. The single channel subscription should be a wonderful idea, but the price should be no more than $1-$2 per channel. I say if CBS All Access gets their way, which I think we all agree they eventually will, and that way is everyone pays subscription fees for access to individual channels then you are going to see a lot of failing channels out there. Of course, we already see that every day. I feel it will only become more dramatic, i.e. fifty years from now things might be back to three channels. But in all seriousness that is what they want. They want content control and direct deposits - and Netflix and all competition to cease to exist. And that isn't to say Netflix or any of the others are any better. The point is that paying for individual channels will only encourage the inevitable to happen sooner rather than later.

Chief Master Sergeant

how about a crossover with several enforcement agencies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtRi011FLY

Very excited for this series! After the last TNG movie in 2002, I never, ever thought that Sir Patrick would return to play Jean-Luc Picard again...and yet here we are 16-years later! Great to have a show set post-Star Trek: Nemesis AND set in the prime timeline!
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

He does that in his Dixon Hill Holodeck programs