No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very excited by what I saw in that trailer. Never saw those two surprise cast reveals coming, in particularly one of them. Then the announcement of three other TNG veterans joining for guest appearances later in the season as reported in the article over at TrekCore is all very promising indeed.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I did not expect to be talking about the Borg with regards to this series, except possibly as regards Picard and PTSD.

Now I'm wondering if Voyager's defeat of the Borg in Endgame was total, and this is one of the local powers fiddling around with technology they picked off of derelict Borg ships.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I did not expect to be talking about the Borg with regards to this series, except possibly as regards Picard and PTSD.

Now I'm wondering if Voyager's defeat of the Borg in Endgame was total, and this is one of the local powers fiddling around with technology they picked off of derelict Borg ships.
        I wouldn’t say I suspected... But in my mind it always made sense that a story heavily to do with the Romulans would also involve the Borg in some way. After all if you recall the Romulans were introduced into TNG with the very first hints of the Borg threat. Plus there is all the stuff in Countdown and STO to do with how the Romulans were heavily experimenting with Borg technology. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even find out in the show that the Scimitar was built partially based on Borg tech.

Interestingly the shot of that sign about so many days since their last assimilation a looks to be set either on a Borg ship or Borg based ship. Their are armed Romulans patrolling the catwalk where that sign is placed and behind them are what definitely appear to be Borg alcoves.

As an aside, I love that it seems clear from Seven’s greeting that she and Picard have some kind of familiarity with each other. Because of course they do. I can imagine that they’d seek each other out. I just really hope given Picard’s usual politeness and formality that he chooses to call her Ms.Nine...
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          I wouldn’t say I suspected... But in my mind it always made sense that a story heavily to do with the Romulans would also involve the Borg in some way. After all if you recall the Romulans were introduced into TNG with the very first hints of the Borg threat.
          I'm rewatching TNG and just had The Neutral Zone on recently as a matter of fact, so I recall quite clearly It's interesting that the implied story there is that the Borg were perhaps trying to goad the Federation and the Empire into fighting each other, by destroying outposts from both sides along the Neutral Zone...but then they never followed up on that.

Plus there is all the stuff in Countdown and STO to do with how the Romulans were heavily experimenting with Borg technology. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even find out in the show that the Scimitar was built partially based on Borg tech.
          Oh, that's right! I had completely forgotten about that. I don't know about the Scimitar (Shinzon's ship in Nemesis), but I seem to recall that the Nerada (Nero's ship) was enhanced by some Borg tech, wasn't it?

As an aside, I love that it seems clear from Seven’s greeting that she and Picard have some kind of familiarity with each other. Because of course they do. I can imagine that they’d seek each other out. I just really hope given Picard’s usual politeness and formality that he chooses to call her Ms.Nine...
          I'm legit curious whether she'll still be using the designation, or if she's actually picked a name now. Or maybe even (re-)adopted her birth name.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm rewatching TNG and just had The Neutral Zone on recently as a matter of fact, so I recall quite clearly It's interesting that the implied story there is that the Borg were perhaps trying to goad the Federation and the Empire into fighting each other, by destroying outposts from both sides along the Neutral Zone...but then they never followed up on that.
            Interesting. I never actually took it like that. I always considered it more that Borg were simply probing into that region of space and just took whatever outposts they found without really thinking of who was on them.

Oh, that's right! I had completely forgotten about that. I don't know about the Scimitar (Shinzon's ship in Nemesis), but I seem to recall that the Nerada (Nero's ship) was enhanced by some Borg tech, wasn't it?
            Yeah that’s right. Which honestly Always made the most amount of sense to me. It does make me wonder though if the Borg did at one point attempt to assimilate Romulus in the same way they tried to Earth and the Romulans managed to stop them and never told the rest of the galaxy about it. That could possibly be where that cube came from.

I'm legit curious whether she'll still be using the designation, or if she's actually picked a name now. Or maybe even (re-)adopted her birth name.
            It’s a good question. Though given that this show is so heavily built around fan service ai suspect it will still be Seven... or at the very least she’ll be like “I’m Annika Hansen, but my friends call me Seven.”

Comment

mega excited about this!!!
              Blakes Sanctum: Retro site for retro games! Age of Wonders, Babylon 5, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, Star Trek & more!

Comment

Correct. Though the destruction of Romulus didn't happen in the Kelvin timeline, that was just Spock Prime, while in the Kelvin timeline, recalling it happening back in 2387 in the Prime timeline as the event that brought him there.

The Prime timeline we all grew up with still exists:
                • 2151-55 - Enterprise
                • 2254 - TOS pilot The Cage
                • 2257-58 - Discovery Season 1-2
                • 2265-69 - TOS
                • c. 2270-2293 - TMP/TWOK/TSFS/TVH/TFF/TUC/Generations intro
                • 2364-78 - TNG/Generations/First Contact/Insurrection, DS9, VOY
                • 2379 - Nemesis
                • (somewhere around here) - upcoming show Lower Decks
                • 2386 - Picard retires from Starfleet (according to the Picard exhibit at SDCC right now)
                • 2387 - Romulus destroyed (Spock Prime's flashback in the 2009 film)
                • 2399 - Picard (according to the Picard exhibit at SDCC right now)

The three Chris Pine/Zachary Quinto films are the only things set in the alternate timeline.
                Thank you.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Marina and Jonathan's tweets about about Star Trek: Picard:
                  https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/st...89561359572992
                  https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/...39303565025280

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

So i’ve Been thinking on this and I have a few theories. I think that girl seeking out Picard in the trailer is a sort of proto-Borg Queen.

Comment

You don't think that might be a little bit of a retread? I've heard similar speculation elsewhere online and I'm not sure whether or not I buy into it.

Comment

Here's a YouTube video of the full panel:

Comment

Ahh cool, thanks!

Comment

You don't think that might be a little bit of a retread? I've heard similar speculation elsewhere online and I'm not sure whether or not I buy into it.
                            Agreed. I mean I'm not 100% sure of it myself but it would make a degree of sense given how the trailer seems to portray her with the "she is the destroyer" thing. Course she could just be a liberated Borg, possibly having come from that cube originally. Which then may play into where Hugh comes back into things... or she could be something completely different. But to my mind there is a likelihood in there being a Borg connection too her. OR possibly a Spock/Sarek connection since either one would give her some sort of connection and link to Picard... Spock's Romulan daughter maybe? ... though that feels like an even bigger stretch. Maybe a Romulan Spock trusted and shared part of his Katra with.

Comment

The Picard panel is also viewable on Star Trek's Website: https://www.startrek.com/videos/watc...omic-con-panel

The 'Picard' Cast Surprises Fans at Comic-Con: https://www.startrek.com/videos/star...n-brent-spiner

Star Trek's Website also had: WATCH: The 'Discovery,' 'Short Treks' and 'Lower Decks' Comic-Con Panel

Comment

Lots of screenshots and a little bit of analysis of the trailer
                                https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/24/sta...iler-analysis/

Comment

Working...
                                X