No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Kurtzman confirms that Picard (which is still not the official title) will premiere in December of this year.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What a perfect Christmas present.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

[size=5]Star Trek Picard Show Adds Three New Cast Members

The next Star Trek show for CBS All Access continues to take shape as it heads into production, with the addition of three new cast members.

Today CBS All Access announced the casting of three new actors for their upcoming—and still untitled—Star Trek series starring Sir Patrick Stewart in his iconic Star Trek: The Next Generation role as Jean-Luc Picard. Joining the cast as series regulars are Alison Pill (The Newsroom), Harry Treadaway (Penny Dreadful) and Isa Briones (American Crime Story: Versace). They join previously announced cast members Santiago Cabrera, Michelle Hurd, and Evan Evagora.

No details were provided regarding the characters the three new actors would be playing. The only official description for the series is that it will “explore the next chapter of Jean-Luc Picard.” The series is set to premiere by the end of the year.

Alison Pill just completed season one of the upcoming FX series Devs from Alex Garland, and can be seen in the Oscar-nominated film Vice. The 33-year-old Canadian-born actress has extensive film credits including Hail Caesar!, Snowpiercer, and Scott Pilgrim. In addition to The Newsroom, her television credits include a regular role on Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story: Cult. Most recently, Pill starred on Broadway in the Tony-nominated production of Three Tall Women. Her stage work has also garnered her Tony, Lucille Lortel, Outer Critics Circle and The Drama League award nominations. She won the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Ensemble in the U.S. premiere of The Distance from Here.

UPDATE: Pill responded to the news on Instagram indicating she is already at work on the new show:
        So flipping excited to join @sirpatstew and so many other awesome actors in this newest Star Trek adventure. Long live Picard. Scroll for why he’s the best, and why I love my new workplace bathrooms.
        English actor Harry Treadaway recently finished filming season four of the Netflix series The Crown. Before that, he starred opposite Brendan Gleeson in David E. Kelley’s series Mr. Mercedes for two seasons. On the big screen, the 34-year-old has appeared in Edgerton’s film Gringo and the Disney feature The Lone Ranger. Previous notable credits include three seasons on the Showtime series Penny Dreadful playing Dr. Victor Frankenstein. Treadway has been nominated for a Best Actor Satellite Award for his work on Mr. Mercedes and as Most Promising Newcomer for his work in the film Brothers of the Head in 2005.

Newcomer actor and singer Isa Briones just wrapped the First National Touring Company of Hamilton. The 20-year-old Brit’s most recent credits include FX’s American Crime Story: Versace and Next to Normal (East West Players), for which she won an L.A. Ovation Award.

UPDATE: Briones took to Instagram to speak about the news, where she also mentioned receiving fight training for her new role:
        If you were wondering why did Isa suddenly move back to LA? dye her hair black? and is all bruised up from fight training?
        All your questions have been answered.
        So excited to finally announce this news that’s been giving me butterflies for weeks.
        There has also been no official word on the start of production for the show, which will take place at Santa Clarita Studios, north of Los Angeles. Production for the Picard show had been set to start in mid-April and possibly as early as this week. In TrekMovie’s recent interview with Jonathan Frakes, he stated that he had read the scripts for the first two episodes and was planning on starting prep for directing the third and fourth episodes soon.

Thanks to Sir Patrick Stewart we know that rehearsals for the show were underway as the actor tweeted out a picture of his rehearsal script last Thursday, joking that he couldn’t share spoilers with the rescue dog he was taking care of.

And on Monday of this week executive producer Michael Chabon shared a photo of himself at Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout offices in Santa Monica with an image of Jean Luc-Picard on a mural behind him. His message” “Angel on my shoulder.”
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Fresh interview with Kurtzman had him say this on the Picard show:
          [The Picard series] going amazingly. We start shooting soon. It will be really different from Discovery in tone, pace, and story. I’m so excited with how our cast came together. Hanelle Culpepper, our director, is absolutely crushing it. We’re so excited because it’s so different. Yet, I think people who like The Next Generation will recognize that it’s made by people who love it equally. It will be really interesting to see how people respond.
          Source (caution, contains spoilers for Discovery Season 2 finale)

Comment

The note about tone and pacing is interesting. Makes me think they’re going for a slower show with a more considered approach. Which makes sense given Patrick Stewart’s age.

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. To draw parallels: Discovery is "Kirk punches an alien in the face," while the Picard show will be more "Darmok."

At least, that's what I take away from what Kurtzman is saying.

Comment

sokath, his eyes uncovered!

Comment

Well I'm not sure what the story is with that one actor a few days ago commenting on the set washrooms (unless they were just visiting), but production commenced TODAY, and is scheduled to run through till September 16!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Well I'm not sure what the story is with that one actor a few days ago commenting on the set washrooms (unless they were just visiting), but production commenced TODAY, and is scheduled to run through till September 16!
                    ooooh. Give it another couple of months and we'll probably start getting the earliest promos and stuff. I really can't wait for all the news coming for this one.

Comment

Excellent!
                      sigpic

Comment

A tiiiiny little bit more from Alex Kurtzman:
                        The mandate was to make it a more psychological show, a character study about this man in his emeritus years. There are so few shows that allow a significantly older protagonist to be the driver…What happens when circumstances have conspired to not give him the happiest of endings? Hopefully, it’s a reinforcement of [‘Trek’ creator Gene] Roddenberry’s vision of optimism. He’s going to have to go through deep valleys to get back to the light.
                        https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/09/ale...-future-on-tv/

Comment

Announced this morning: Outside the US and Canada, the Picard show will be airing on Amazon Prime Video

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/st...bs-1203212357/

Comment

Announced this morning: Outside the US and Canada, the Picard show will be airing on Amazon Prime Video

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/st...bs-1203212357/
                            Hmmm... good for Amazon. I mean between The Expanse and Picard they could start cornering the market on good hard sci-fi. From CBS' perspective though it seems an odd choice not to go with Netflix again. Why divide your shows? They should be put all together really.

Comment

I would guess Amazon gave them a better licensing deal. Amazon probably was willing to pay more after seeing how well Discovery is doing
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

And Canada will get the same arrangement we currently have with Discovery: it will air on TV on Space at the same time it becomes available in the US, and then it'll be available for streaming on Crave the next day.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...858299390.html

Comment

Working...
                                X