No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also found this trailer analysis by Trek Central. Looks like they going with post apocalypse (the controversial supernova event) Romulan's experimenting with Borg technology presumably to try and regain some lost power. Gotta love the lab sign saying 5,843 days without assimilation lol! Looks like they have control of a cube too. Considering Romulan's and Borg were my favourite villains from TNG this pleases me greatly.

Blakes Sanctum: Retro site for retro games! Age of Wonders, Babylon 5, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, Star Trek & more!

Comment

Yeah that sign cracked me up
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Robert Picardo in early talks to appear in Season 2

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/29/rob...rd-season-two/
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Robert Picardo in early talks to appear in Season 2

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/29/rob...rd-season-two/
          Was just about to post this myself. This would be awesome. I’m kinda starting to wonder if a big part of this show is Picard out in the thick of it dealing with the situation but then a small number of people within Starfleet trying to help him without directly interfering and funnelling info to him, so they have their own side stories along the way.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I know it's still early talks and so it may not happen at all, but I'm very curious what sort of a role he'd play. The/an EMH (but why would a hologram have aged?), or Lewis Zimmerman (why would a holo-engineer have reason to cross paths with Picard?) ?

Comment

I know it's still early talks and so it may not happen at all, but I'm very curious what sort of a role he'd play. The/an EMH (but why would a hologram have aged?), or Lewis Zimmerman (why would a holo-engineer have reason to cross paths with Picard?) ?
              O be fair Robert Picardo has aged pretty well so I don’t think it would take much to make him look right.

Comment

They'd probably have him back as Lewis Zimmerman and maybe briefly de-aged to play the/an EMH I reckon. It'd be great if they can get Bob Picardo involved...but I do have a worry. Something that turned me away from the novels was the near constant crossover meetings between characters from any of the Star Trek shows. It became a case of far too much fan service. I hope that Star Trek: Picard doesn't go down that road.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                  They'd probably have him back as Lewis Zimmerman and maybe briefly de-aged to play the/an EMH I reckon. It'd be great if they can get Bob Picardo involved...but I do have a worry. Something that turned me away from the novels was the near constant crossover meetings between characters from any of the Star Trek shows. It became a case of far too much fan service. I hope that Star Trek: Picard doesn't go down that road.
                  Yeah I admittedly agree. However it seems like there's a strong cast of original characters too so hopefully they will earn their place to stand along side the cameos of the old timers.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    They'd probably have him back as Lewis Zimmerman and maybe briefly de-aged to play the/an EMH I reckon.
                    They could also very easily just say that he programmed himself to age. That's not something that was part of his initial program for obvious reasons, but given all the ways he attempted to explore his humanity and sense of self, I have no problem buying that he would be curious about exploring what it would be like to age, even if it's only superficial.

Sure, they didn't age him in "Endgame," but throughout the series he explored aspects of his humanity when people made comments to him that spurred him to self-reflection. In this new timeline, he could've gotten married earlier and decided to let himself age because his wife talked to him about how they would not grow old together, or he could've had an opportunity to reconnect with Zimmerman who perhaps died in the 23 years it took them to make it back in the original timeline and their time together gave the Doctor reason to want to grow into the person he came to know.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      Yeah I admittedly agree. However it seems like there's a strong cast of original characters too so hopefully they will earn their place to stand along side the cameos of the old timers.
                      Very true. It really needs to be the new character's time to shine. In theory they shouldn't be overshadowed by cameos from old friends.

In theory.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                      They could also very easily just say that he programmed himself to age. That's not something that was part of his initial program for obvious reasons, but given all the ways he attempted to explore his humanity and sense of self, I have no problem buying that he would be curious about exploring what it would be like to age, even if it's only superficial.

Sure, they didn't age him in "Endgame," but throughout the series he explored aspects of his humanity when people made comments to him that spurred him to self-reflection. In this new timeline, he could've gotten married earlier and decided to let himself age because his wife talked to him about how they would not grow old together, or he could've had an opportunity to reconnect with Zimmerman who perhaps died in the 23 years it took them to make it back in the original timeline and their time together gave the Doctor reason to want to grow into the person he came to know.
                      Yeah, EMH could be aged up by him updating his settings. Maybe some sort of "age app" might work? Have it set to tweak his appearance ever so slightly every year on the stardate of his first activation (i.e. his "birthday").

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Frakes from STLV:

I hadn’t done it for… Nemesis was what? 17 years, 18 years [ago]. Luckily it was with my old pal, and I had just directed two episodes of the show. So I did [it] with Patrick who is just… He’s crushing it on this series. He’s just on fire. The trailer’s awesome.
                        Yeah, the stuff is great. I can’t obviously tell you, but Marina and I… Well, you’ll see where we are. We’re together, and it’s quite… it’s non-military. I’ll say that.
                        EDIT: Forgot to include the source
                        https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/26/jon...r-trek-picard/
                        Last edited by DigiFluid; 01 August 2019, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Frakes from STLV:
                          Could they have a family maybe and retired from the fleet? That'd actually make for really cool character development given that their whole relationship in Farpoint and throughout TNG was that they were together but chose their careers over each other and then that kept on being the case. So it feels like a natural extension of them getting married that they'd decide that their careers don't matter as much and maybe even chose to retire not all that many years after going aboard the Titan.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Could they have a family maybe and retired from the fleet? That'd actually make for really cool character development given that their whole relationship in Farpoint and throughout TNG was that they were together but chose their careers over each other and then that kept on being the case. So it feels like a natural extension of them getting married that they'd decide that their careers don't matter as much and maybe even chose to retire not all that many years after going aboard the Titan.
                            I don't think the gap between Nemesis and Picard is long enough for it, but I'm picturing Troi being the grown-up in the room, talking to their adult children seriously, while Riker is overrun by a brood of unruly grandchildren OR Troi has reached The Phase (like Lwaxana in "Manhunt"), and Riker just can't keep up with her...demands

Comment

I don't think the gap between Nemesis and Picard is long enough for it, but I'm picturing Troi being the grown-up in the room, talking to their adult children seriously, while Riker is overrun by a brood of unruly grandchildren OR Troi has reached The Phase (like Lwaxana in "Manhunt"), and Riker just can't keep up with her...demands
                              Trio would be of that age.
                              As for any kids they could be as old as 17 or 18 now. Riker maybe making the ultimate of dad jokes to Picard when introducing him to his eldest by saying "If I was your Number One I guess you could say this is your Number Two. "

Comment

Countdown and The Last Best Hope will lead directly into the CBS All Access series starring Patrick Stewart.

Jean-Luc Picard is returning to the small screen, but part of his continuing mission will be told in print.

Ahead of the 2020 launch of CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Picard, a number of prequel projects are in the works to tell the story of the fan favorite captain played by Patrick Stewart. The projects will help fill in the gap between Picard and The Next Generation crew's final movie (2002's Star Trek: Nemesis). The projects are coming from a partnership among CBS Consumer Products, IDW Publishing and Simon & Schuster’s Galley Books.

The first prequel to appear will be IDW’s Star Trek: Picard – Countdown, a three-issue comic book series written by Mike Johnson and Picard supervising producer Kirsten Beyer, which will center around a single mission that would change the life of Picard. That series launches in November, and runs through January 2020.

In February 2020, Galley Books will follow the conclusion of Countdown with Una McCormack’s The Last Best Hope, a novel that will lead directly into the Picard television series proper, and introduce new characters appearing in the show. McCormack is a name familiar to Star Trek fans, having previously written eight novels tying into the legendary sci-fi property.

“From the moment we announced this series we’ve seen a groundswell of support from our fan base who are thrilled to have Jean-Luc Picard back on their screens," CBS Consumer products executive VP global franchise management Veronica Hart said in a statement. "Having this brand new original backstory play out through both comic book and novel formats will set the stage for the new series in an exciting way while also showcasing the work of our talented partners at Simon & Schuster and IDW.”
                                Last edited by DigiFluid; 02 August 2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X