Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Wasn’t it the USS Yorktown? Or was that only in the non-canon EU?
    It’s kind of non-canon in that there’s no reference to it in the shows and movies but it’s backed up in the Encycopaedia, TNG Tech Manual and the Star Trek fact files, having originally been suggested as the case by Rodenberry around the time of Star Trek IV and later Michael Okuda backed it up as his own belief. It’s also a nice little nod since Rodenberry’s earliest scripts for Trek were set on the Yorktown and not Enterprise. Also the Yorktown is mentioned in Star Trek IV itself as having been a ship that was damaged by the Whale Probe which may in itself help to explain why all its systems are crapped out by the time of Star Trek V.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I thought the Yorktown got blown in the battle of Wolf 359?
    It’s not among the ships mentioned at 359 (in the shows anyway. Apparently there’s a comic where it was listed at 359 but that of course isn’t anywhere close to canon.) Otherwise it’d be a different Yorktown anyway. There is a reference to a USS Yorktown in TNG’s Measure of a Man. It’s on a list of ships shown on a computer screen and also a similar case in an episode of DS9. Either way it would be a modern Yorktown.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I thought the Yorktown got blown in the battle of Wolf 359?
    Which would kind of be neither here nor there, since Star Treks 4-6 were about 80 years before the Battle of Wolf 359
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    It’s kind of non-canon in that there’s no reference to it in the shows and movies but it’s backed up in the Encycopaedia, TNG Tech Manual and the Star Trek fact files, having originally been suggested as the case by Rodenberry around the time of Star Trek IV and later Michael Okuda backed it up as his own belief. It’s also a nice little nod since Rodenberry’s earliest scripts for Trek were set on the Yorktown and not Enterprise. Also the Yorktown is mentioned in Star Trek IV itself as having been a ship that was damaged by the Whale Probe which may in itself help to explain why all its systems are crapped out by the time of Star Trek V.
    Right! I knew there was something to that effect, but the details weren't coming to me.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Kind of a tangent, but I was always disappointed that battle wasn't featured in TNG
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

And once again, DS9 saves us all.

Assuming it is a new ship. I stand by the idea that it was another Constitution renamed.
    well Scotty's comment that it "must've been put together by monkeys" implies that it was built from scratch although the same comment could be applied to one that was re-christened too

for example "Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise" has it as originally being the USS Ti-Ho being rechristened as the Enterprise-A and that the USS Ti-Ho was another testbed for transwarp technology....if the tests of transwarp didn't go as planned that could also explain why half the systems wouldn't work right at first when it got re-christened

As I recall, the USS Yorktown depicted in ST IV looked more like the Reliant that Khan hijacked in ST II, whatever class that ship was. So it wasn't even remotely a Constitution class vessel.

Also, the "Enterprise-A" in ST V's difficulties would seem to indicate a hastily constructed ship, as by that time, Starfleet had the bugs worked out of the basic design/redesign.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

And once again, DS9 saves us all.
    Praise be to the Prophets.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    well Scotty's comment that it "must've been put together by monkeys" implies that it was built from scratch although the same comment could be applied to one that was re-christened too

for example "Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise" has it as originally being the USS Ti-Ho being rechristened as the Enterprise-A and that the USS Ti-Ho was another testbed for transwarp technology....if the tests of transwarp didn't go as planned that could also explain why half the systems wouldn't work right at first when it got re-christened
    Well that was their intent in the movie itself. They wrote it as though it was brand new ship. But given that This is the abomination of a film that was so bad it made Bill Shatner humble then I think we can disregard most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    As I recall, the USS Yorktown depicted in ST IV looked more like the Reliant that Khan hijacked in ST II, whatever class that ship was. So it wasn't even remotely a Constitution class vessel.

Also, the "Enterprise-A" in ST V's difficulties would seem to indicate a hastily constructed ship, as by that time, Starfleet had the bugs worked out of the basic design/redesign.
    No that was the USS Saratoga. You don’t see the Yorktown on screen. You just see the Captain on screen at Starfleet Command explaining that they had lost all power and were doing whatever they could to conserve it to keep life support running.

Theoretically whatever the crew were doing to stay alive could have messed up the ship’s power and computer systems in some way which led it to its issues.

It is now being reported that Brent Spiner may be reprising Data in some capacity. It could be limited to flashbacks or audio only though.

Maybe the chief labourer at Chateau Picard is B-4

Maybe the chief labourer at Chateau Picard is B-4
    Well I was actually considering Countdown where it was suggested that Data’s personality became dominant within B4 and we went on to command the Enterprise right before the Hobus event. In which case it’d be very cool to see Data as a Captain.

I know what you meant. I just enjoy the mental image of a dumb Data being a farmhand

I know what you meant. I just enjoy the mental image of a dumb Data being a farmhand
    I kinda consider all of Nemesis an abomination so I try not to think of B4 in that regard.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Ship B4 out to the dilithium mines like they did to the EMHs in Voyager
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post

Saratoga and Reliant were Miranda-class starships (yes I'm a nerd )

I saw this on the Star Trek's website: This Month in Trek: 'May-ke it Bordeaux'

Here's the section about Star Trek: Picard and I just had to share this because some of the puns were really funny:

Quote Originally Posted by startrek.com
    We're kind of obsessed with each and every Redditor-created pun that surfaced in the days after the Star Trek: Picard trailer dropped. Some faves include, Star Trek: Deep Space Wine, Star Trek: Sideways, and "Make it Bordeaux." Check the rest out here.
    Here's the link to the reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comm...picard_teaser/

Signs by Scifan and me. | MY Website - Planet TV | My Sanctuary RPG | My Stargate SG-1 & SGA RPG |
    My Mini City - Rygel City

Mega excited about this!!!

Bloody CBS region locking the trailer though.. omfg.. thank goodness Amazon put one out shortly after!

Youtube has got everything...
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

...or the various links that I posted right here in the thread, so anybody anywhere can watch it