Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Variety: Patrick Stewart to Return as Capt. Picard in New ‘Star Trek’ Series for CBS All Access

Sir Patrick Stewart will reprise the role of Capt. Jean-Luc Picard in a brand new Star Trek series on CBS All Access, Variety has learned.

The exact plot details are being kept mostly under wraps, though the series is said to tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life. That indicates that it will take place after the events of Star Trek: The Next Generation rather than being a prequel or reboot.

The untitled series hails from Alex Kurtzman, James Duff, Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, and Kirsten Beyer. Kurtzman, Duff, Goldsman, and Chabon will also serve as executive producers on the series along with Stewart, Trevor Roth, Heather Kadin, and Rod Roddenberry. CBS Television Studios will produce. The new series does not currently have a premiere date.

Sir Patrick Stewart:
    I will always be very proud to have been a part of ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation,’ but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with ‘Star Trek’ had run its natural course. It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.

During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how ‘The Next Generation’ brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership. I feel I’m ready to return to him for the same reason – to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.
    Stewart played Picard throughout The Next Generation's seven season run as well as in four Star Trek films. He is repped by ICM, Independent Talent Group, and Anonymous Content.

News of the series order comes less than two months after it was reported that CBS TV Studios was developing multiple shows set in the Star Trek universe. Other shows that were reported to be in development at that time include one set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz as well as a limited series based around the Wrath of Khan story.

The studio also announced that they had signed Kurtzman to a new five-year overall deal that will see him supervise the expansion of CBS’ Star Trek franchise.

During San Diego Comic-Con, CBS TV Studios also announced that they had ordered a four-part miniseries called Star Trek: Short Treks. Launching this fall then rolling out on CBS All Access on a monthly basis, each of the four episodes will be approximately 10-15 minutes long, and dig deeper into specific characters and themes explored on Discovery.

"With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold," Kurtzman said. "For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honor generations both new and old."

Meanwhile, Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 is set to launch in early 2019. Like the first season, the new season has seen some significant shake ups behind the scenes. Kurtzman was named showrunner on Discovery Season 2 following the ouster of co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg back in June.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Is the setting supposed to be post "all good things" (so post TV), or post "nemesis"? (post movies)?
    Of course you have the clanger of Admiral Janeway showing up...…….
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Too bad it's going to air on CBS All Access where I am. Maybe I'll get lucky and this will get put on DVD so I can watch it.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

There may not be a physical media release anytime soon. There has been no announcement of a Discovery release as of yet, either.
        They are trying to use the Trek franchise to bootstrap the launch of their new pay tv service, CBS All Access, so it may be several years before we see home releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Is the setting supposed to be post "all good things" (so post TV), or post "nemesis"? (post movies)?
          Not that I have any more information than you, but my guess would be post-Nemesis.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have been waiting 20 years to find out what happens after the Dominion War. I just might have to to cave in to my CBS All Access refusal
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Nemesis. Nemesis happened after the Dominion War

Comment

True. But the movie didn't lead much to show how the Alpha Quadrant has changed. I expect more from a tv show
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm also very curious whether this will be post-Hobus in the Prime universe. Doing a story about the high-and-mighty-and-oh-so-righteous Federation's mixed reaction to a flood of refugees would be very topical at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    I think you are more likely to win money by placing it on the option of it being some sort of future series set in discovery timeline with zero connections to Next Generation. sadly.

Hopefully CBS and Viacom merger happens and star trek rights will at least be reunited. So the writers, producers, directors and execs can't hide behind that excuse for the rubbish they are turning out.

Comment

The Federation can just dump the refugees on a few uninhabited planets with a few industrial replicators and let them get on with it. The refugees never have to interact with the rest of the federation population.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I'm also very curious whether this will be post-Hobus in the Prime universe. Doing a story about the high-and-mighty-and-oh-so-righteous Federation's mixed reaction to a flood of refugees would be very topical at the moment.
                        That would definitely be cool.

I do know that Star Trek Online is shortly going to release a mini-expansion for Discovery. Allowing players to create a Discovery era Captain. When they were having the meetings with CBS and the Discovery team about the potential stories they could tell in the game and what was and wasn't within the limits of what STO could do everyone was very positive towards STO and really enthused about their place in canon. So stuff like Hobus will likely remain a part of the timeline along with the tensions with the klingons and so on.

Additionally Patrick Stewart during the announcement said that it would be set 20 years ish after Nemesis to coincide with real time. Nemesis was set in 2379 so we're looking at 2399 and the dawn of the 25th Century. Meanwhile the Hobus event in canon occurred in 2387 so if they keep to that it would definitely be an issue unless they do choose to break with canon.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          The Federation can just dump the refugees on a few uninhabited planets with a few industrial replicators and let them get on with it. The refugees never have to interact with the rest of the federation population.
                          It's not exactly that easy though is it? The Romulans Empire... well it was an Empire. We're talking billions if not trillions of people, not only Romulans but races that may have relied on the Romulans for protection, and Romulans likely not having an equivalent of the Prime Directive, many of those races may not even be the kind of civilisations that the Federation would usually be allowed to have contact with.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think you are more likely to win money by placing it on the option of it being some sort of future series set in discovery timeline with zero connections to Next Generation. sadly.
                            Discovery is in the Prime timeline. Captain Picard has only ever been portrayed in the Prime timeline (albeit 120something years later). Patrick Stewart is returning as Picard, as he said in his own public statement. There is no part of what you just said that makes sense.

Hopefully CBS and Viacom merger happens and star trek rights will at least be reunited. So the writers, producers, directors and execs can't hide behind that excuse for the rubbish they are turning out.
                            Again: what? Viacom only holds the rights to release films, while CBS holds the rights to create and broadcast TV series.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                              It's not exactly that easy though is it? The Romulans Empire... well it was an Empire. We're talking billions if not trillions of people, not only Romulans but races that may have relied on the Romulans for protection, and Romulans likely not having an equivalent of the Prime Directive, many of those races may not even be the kind of civilisations that the Federation would usually be allowed to have contact with.
                              Right! There are a lot of different dimensions of storytelling here, if that's the angle they decide to explore.

Comment

Working...
                              X