Cupid's Dagger (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    I think you're meaning Lt. Ilia, a female Deltan in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Deltans were supposed to be a very sexual species and were required to sign an oath of celibacy to join Starfleet.

The book series where a Deltan was featured is about the Federation's Department of Temporal Investigations. I really do recommend you read them...there is some rather heavy space/time technobabel but nothing a trekkie can't handle...you may want to watch a few time travel movies first to brush up...

But one of the characters was a male Deltan who had (a human?) non-deltan partner. There were some occasional discussions on the irresistibility and control involved with dealing with Deltans as well as Deltan morals and such. I really am surprised none of the Treks ever dealt with this...but then again given Sci Fi's track for fantastical forms of rape...it may have been for the best.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

The book series where a Deltan was featured is about the Federation's Department of Temporal Investigations. I really do recommend you read them...there is some rather heavy space/time technobabel but nothing a trekkie can't handle...you may want to watch a few time travel movies first to brush up...

But one of the characters was a male Deltan who had (a human?) non-deltan partner. There were some occasional discussions on the irresistibility and control involved with dealing with Deltans as well as Deltan morals and such. I really am surprised none of the Treks ever dealt with this...but then again given Sci Fi's track for fantastical forms of rape...it may have been for the best.
      It might be avoided 'cause it's a Kobayashi Maru situation. The Federation is supposed to respect all cultures equally, but when it comes to morals, whose morals do we give more meaning to? Suppose member A's morals accept forcible sex because its just the way they do things. And if members of that species serve on a mostly human Starfleet vessel, that's gonna be a direct conflict with the human crew members. Whose morals are followed?

With an Earth/Human culture as their audience, who has to buy the book or movie, I don't know if I would want to step into that minefield either.

Comment

Working...
      X