Question Multiple dialing sequences

Has there been any episode of any Stargate where they suggested that there were multiple or dual dialing sequences? I think this was suggested in episode Avenger 2.0, where Dr. Felger was looking through the assembly code. He looked briefly puzzled and then went back to fixing the Stargates.
    Daniel L Newhouse

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Default Re: Multiple dialing sequences

I'd love to help you out, but I'm only at the end of season 5 with my rewatch so if this can wait a month or so, I'd let you know. Though I'm sure, there's bound to be someone here who knows the answer sooner.

The only thing I remember about Felger's Avenger is that he broke the network.

And also... welcome to Gateworld!
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 5 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel L Newhouse View Post
    Has there been any episode of any Stargate where they suggested that there were multiple or dual dialing sequences? I think this was suggested in episode Avenger 2.0, where Dr. Felger was looking through the assembly code. He looked briefly puzzled and then went back to fixing the Stargates.
    What do you mean with "dual dialing sequences"? There are multiple ways of dialing a gate, depending on the situation, but you can only dial a gate one way at a time.

About "Avenger 2.0", marked as a spoiler just in case:
    Spoiler:

I recently watched Avenger 2.0 again and Felger did not mention anything related to dialing. He was puzzled because he noticed that the virus was different than what he wrote initially, which is when they found out that Ba'al deliberately altered the virus to disable the entire stargate network.

That there are 2 dialing sequences for every destination.
    Daniel L Newhouse

That there are 2 dialing sequences for every destination.
    Nope, you just dial the gate, that's all. The dialing sequence is independent from the destination. There are several ways to dial a gate (DHD, manual, dialing computer, remote control, telekinetically, etc.) but what they all do the same is enter a combination of, by default, six symbols plus the point of origin to connect to another stargate.

Second Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

I still don't understand what you mean by dual dialing sequences. Like, you dial the gate and one of two things happen while dialing? Or like, you dial the gate and your destination gate undergoes a dial sequence of its own before connecting? Or what?

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Now I remember. Some of my childhood memories are scrambled. But one time I was asked the most difficult history question of all, who made the stargates? It was the Minbari. In the original B5 pilot, the Narn leader states that the Minbari are the oldest of the races. They don't come across that way in the series, most of the time. As to who made the shorter dialing sequences? G'ould? Maybe its mentioned somewhere along the way.
    Daniel L Newhouse

IIRC, the Vorlons made the 6 sequence gate dialing sequence. Was that mentioned in an episode of anything? Now, remember the episode where they landed on a planet where the star went orange? IIRC the description it's as if they were incinerated and then simulacra were integrated on the opposite side. Their personalities were different after that.

The longer dialing sequence is the safer one. The longer sequence is 131 chevrons. Interesting, if you want audio encoding to work better, you need sampling rates in multiples of 131.

To make the gate trip benevolent - you need 154 chevron sequences. A true quintesseract.
    Daniel L Newhouse

But one time I was asked the most difficult history question of all, who made the stargates? It was the Minbari. In the original B5 pilot, the Narn leader states that the Minbari are the oldest of the races. They don't come across that way in the series, most of the time.
    Well, they're only the oldest of the "Young Ones," which includes the Narns, Centauri, humans, etc. The "First Ones" are billions of years old and include the Vorlons, Shadows, and the First Born (Lorien's race of immortal aliens who predated all others).

Also do you mean jumpgates? The original builders of those are actually unknown. The Minbari, like the Centauri, found an ancient jumpgate at the edge of their solar system. So the correct answer is: Unknown or "One of the 'First Ones.'"
    Last edited by Xaeden; August 5th, 2018 at 07:54 AM.

Is there an episode guide?
    Daniel L Newhouse

I now remember, the Minbari made the stargates with 131 chevron sequences. The Protoss modified them to 7 sequence (6+1), the Vorlons improved them, and then the G'uald got them and changed to 154 chevron sequences.
    Then humanity got them and went back to 7. The problem is that the souls detected coming back were not the ones going out.
    Daniel L Newhouse

There's this: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html

For each episode, there's a description, list of unanswered questions, etc. I'm not sure if there are solid transcripts anywhere online, but if you want to do a partial rewatch...

"Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?" (Season 4, Episode 2) is when Lorien explains that he is the first of the First Ones.

Lorien appears again in "Into the Fire" (Season 4, Episode 6). It goes into more details about how he is one of the "First Born," which are the oldest aliens, predating even the Vorlons and Shadows. It also explains that the "First Born" who did not die left the galaxy. He is an exception who remained behind.

And if you go back to the pilot, I believe the line you're referencing specified that the Minbari are the oldest of the "federations." Later episodes go into their relationship with the Vorlons. A prime example is "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum" (Season 2, Episode 17) where she tells Sheridan of the history of the "First Ones" as she knows it.

Now I remember. Some of my childhood memories are scrambled. But one time I was asked the most difficult history question of all, who made the stargates? It was the Minbari. In the original B5 pilot, the Narn leader states that the Minbari are the oldest of the races. They don't come across that way in the series, most of the time. As to who made the shorter dialing sequences? G'ould? Maybe its mentioned somewhere along the way.
    I think you're confusing Stargate with Babylon 5, which are two completely unrelated franchises. Babylon 5 does not have stargates but jumpgates, which are also very, very different. And jumpgates don't have dialing sequences, they just turn on because they connect directly to hyperspace, not other gates.

The same alien races appear across different science fiction, start with Star Blazers (1974).
    Daniel L Newhouse

Are you suggesting a sci-fi conspiracy?

The same alien races appear across different science fiction, start with Star Blazers (1974).
    I have seen Star Blazers, and the entire original Space Battleship Yamato franchise from 1974 until the first series of the "2199" remake until 2014. There is absolutely nothing in there that links to Stargate or Babylon 5, though in the remake there are "gates" but that is nothing original. There is nothing that reminds of the Goa'uld or aliens from Babylon 5.

There is no conspiracy, just people "borrowing" ideas from earlier science fiction, or other literature, which is completely normal.

Y'all be trippin'