Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Clone Wars returns

Just announced and trailer debuted at SDCC:

12 new episodes set to air on Disney’s upcoming streaming service.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 19 July 2018, 12:15 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

For a moment i thought this was a movie announcement.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Clone Wars Returns!

Comment

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, they'll have a chance to properly wrap up the stories they didn't get a chance to, like the Darth Maul storyline.

On the other hand... Well, the Clone Wars are supposed to last only three years or so. Granted, we don't know how long a standard year is in the Star Wars galaxy, and a lot of the stories can conceivably take place at the same time, but seven seasons is pushing it a bit.

The older Ahsoka kind of has me nervous, too.
      sigpic
      "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
      Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

There used to be some wiggle room, some stuff that was poorly depicted or depicted contrarily back in the EU days. But in the new canon they've pegged a Coruscant day as 24h, and a Coruscant year as 365 days. Clears up the inconsistencies, and makes it a lot easier for both writers and us consumers to wrap our heads around things. So a year in Star Wars is the same as a year here in the boring old real world

I never really understood the 'too long vs how long the war went' line, personally. The show was always done in 'anthology' style so you often had characters absent for many episodes at a stretch, making it perfectly reasonable that arc A (of episodes 4/5/6/7) could very well be going on at the same time as arc B (of episodes 6/7/8/9). It's also never been the case that 1 episode = 1 week; it was pretty often that we'd see one of the show's story arcs cover 2, 3, 4 episodes and the story they depict happens on a single day (or just a few days). Even still though, this doesn't appear to be an ongoing arrangement - the announcement says they're doing 12 more episodes, not a full resurrection of the series. If they're true to the four-episode arcs form they did during the show's original run, 12 episodes is really only three stories.

And hey, MASH ran for 11 years even though the Korean War only lasted for three
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

YES YES YES! Knew there was a panel for this at SDCC but didnt think we'd get new episodes!

Comment

Yay. The Clone Wars is a really good series.

Sometimes I rewatch this season 5 trailer as the music is so good. So many emotions in a few minutes.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1uKLTWnC4
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Hurray

We can appreciate Disney again and perhaps now i can finally watch episodes 7 and 8 and 9

Comment

Uh...what?

Comment

sorry... some people were upset... my self included.... that disney seemed to halt the clone wars, i happen to really enjoy watching it .... i suppose you could say i was subconsciously refusing to watch the new trillogy because of it.... either way i kinda wana watch them and now i feel less awful about it.... it may seem petty, and we are supposed to choose whether or not to support companies based on their business practices... and i didnt care for them ending the clone wars animations :/

Comment

Has there been any news about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                      Has there been any news about this?
                      Not much in the way of official announcements. What's been confirmed so far:
                      • It will be 12 episodes.
                      • It will air (in the US) on Disney's upcoming streaming service, Disney+
                      • Dave Filoni stepped away from Resistance to focus exclusively on this.
                      • Part of the trailer seems to be a recreation of one of the shots from the Bad Batch story reel arc, suggesting but not confirming that that story might be properly created this time around.
                      • One of the confirmed story arcs is the Siege of Mandalore, which was originally intended to be the series finale for the entire show, so it's not unreasonable to guess that this will be the final story arc.
                      • Matt Lanter has returned to play Anakin (he's in the trailer). Lanter chiefly played Anakin, though he also did a number of small bit parts throughout the series run, so it won't be a huge surprise if that happens here as well.
                      • Ashley Eckstein has returned to play Ahsoka (she's in the trailer). Like Lanter, Eckstein almost exclusively played Ahsoka, but she's also played a few bit parts as well, so that's possible.
                      • James Arnold Taylor has returned to play Kenobi (trailer). JAT was also the voice actor for Plo Koon, as well as a number of bit parts, so those appearances are all possible.
                      • Dee Bradley Baker has returned to play the clones (trailer). Baker primarily played the clones in the show, but was also the voice actor for Saesee Tiin, Bossk, Admiral Coburn, Byph, and Admiral Trench, as well as a bunch of bit parts.
                      • Tom Kane, none of whose characters were in the trailer, confirmed on Facebook that he's recorded lines for five episodes of the revival. Kane's primary roles on the show were the narrator (for the newsreel recaps at the beginning of episodes), Admiral Yularen, and Yoda. And like everyone else, he also did a bunch of bit parts as well.
                      • There's going to be a panel about it at Celebration Chicago in a few weeks' time.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Not much in the way of official announcements. What's been confirmed so far:
                        • There's going to be a panel about it at Celebration Chicago in a few weeks' time.
                        So another trailer/air date might be released then?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                          So another trailer/air date might be released then?
                          I mean, I don't have any inside source or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got some new footage. I'd hesitate the suppose we'll get a release date yet though, only because the debut date of Disney+ hasn't yet been announced and Disney will probably want to have a separate press release amping that up.

Rumour mill is also saying we're getting the first Episode IX trailer during Celebration, so...probably going to be a big week!

Comment

The full Clone Wars revival panel can be watched here. I haven't watched it yet, so I'm not sure what all's in it.

Apparently it came with a new trailer though. The trailer is not available independently just yet, but some enterprising individual has chopped it out of the stream and uploaded to YouTube:

I'll post a better version once it becomes available (or someone else can, either way )

Comment

Bits and pieces from the panel at StarWars.com:
                              https://www.starwars.com/news/swcc-2...one-wars-panel

- we'll see Ahsoka's post-Jedi Order journey (...including into Level 1313)
                              - as suspected, completed versions the Bad Batch storyreel episodes are part of the new season
                              - the Siege of Mandalore is confirmed and "the scale is massive"
                              - Maul is coming back, and will fight Ahsoka (presumably during the Siege of Mandalore)
                              - they brought back Ray Park to do the mo-cap for Maul

Comment

Working...
                              X