SGU Comics seem to be Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU Comics seem to be Ending

It looks like #6 will be the last. Writers have moved onto other things, and publisher isn't responding to questions. AFAIK the license period is also ending later this year (*), and given their pace, there's zero chance of a new 'episode' in that time.

I've heard the relationship was tumultuous at best, and now we'll end up have a single (and pretty crappy) 'episode' of 'Return to Destiny' after all the hype. Sales have also been pretty terrible, when looking at the charts. (E-copies on Amazon seem to have done alright though)

Geez...there's so much potential here -- how hard is it to get it right?

(*) Just count the months back to the original kickstarter (late 2015), and it's pretty standard that license contracts are 2-3 years. In this case, if it's 3, that'll bring us to late 2018.

Wasn’t all that excited about the direction of the comics but bought them all digitally on Amazon anyway. Really want more SGU somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
      It looks like #6 will be the last. Writers have moved onto other things, and publisher isn't responding to questions. AFAIK the license period is also ending later this year (*), and given their pace, there's zero chance of a new 'episode' in that time.

I've heard the relationship was tumultuous at best, and now we'll end up have a single (and pretty crappy) 'episode' of 'Return to Destiny' after all the hype. Sales have also been pretty terrible, when looking at the charts. (E-copies on Amazon seem to have done alright though)

Geez...there's so much potential here -- how hard is it to get it right?

(*) Just count the months back to the original kickstarter (late 2015), and it's pretty standard that license contracts are 2-3 years. In this case, if it's 3, that'll bring us to late 2018.
      For tie-in novel licensing, the contracts are often based on a certain number of books, not a given period of time. Over at the Trekbbs, we've been discussing this very situation since Simon & Shuster's licensing contract expired last year after X number of Star Trek novels were commissioned and produced. That discussion has been a real education for me about the ins-and-outs of tie-in licenses.

I assume comic book licenses would operate under a similar arrangement, but I don't know for sure. In any event, it looks like American Mythology still maintains a licensing deal for SG:U content because they've solicited for two issues (so far) of the Stargate Anthology ongoing series, with half of each issue dedicated to Stargate: Universe stories.

Unfortunately, issues of that Anthology series may not reach us until next year due to American Mythology's chronic release date problem. Their Stargate comics are routinely shipped months later than solicited. The good news is that you can expect new SG:U stories into 2019, at the very least!

Comment

I think it's a bit of both.

A few years ago, I spoke with their licensing folks (Brandgenuity) about books that would continue SGU, as well as a new series (called Stargate Nexus) that would be in eBook format.

They wanted 20% of sales to a minimum of $10k, and I would be able to produce 3 books per year for 3 years, for a total of 9 books.

They dragged their feet on SGU continuation, so it all stopped.
        Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Working...
        X