Wraith and their need for life-force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith and their need for life-force

In Stargate, is there anywhere in canon, or in fan-fiction, an attempt (successful or not) to make a synthetic source of "life-force" (whatever it may be), so that Wraith do not have to kill humans for it?

The Legacy books might be what you are looking for. They are tie-in books making a season 6 arc. Not quite synthetic, but some alterations in sourcing. This article contains spoilers, so ignore the plot section, but has a list of the 8 books at the bottom.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Starg...lantis:_Legacy
    Last edited by WraithTech; 11 July 2018, 02:55 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

i would guess it wouldnt work right... im going to go with, it just doewsnt taste right nore does it have the right effect, caus they are drinking something about hte peoples souls or spirits and how they interact with the flesh

if it was simply cloning or replicating the ancients would have solved that within a few years or sooner

Comment

I think, it is not really possible to synthesize life-force, since something that lives is not synthetic, but maybe those they could create a plant like source that could substitute them. "Eating" plants is in general not as condemned as would be "eating" humans

Comment

Originally posted by AleksisMi View Post
          if it was simply cloning or replicating the ancients would have solved that within a few years or sooner
          Well it's not necessarily a matter of capability. There's also the issue of willingness to consider.

The Wraith figured out cloning on their own and for the period of time that they had the ability to power their facility they would have been able to feed on cloned drones and feed their cloned drones to other cloned drones. The problem is that they used this technology to defeat the Ancients, probably around the time that the Ancients tried to secure a peace treaty (it was a trap that took out most of the remaining Ancient fleet).

Before that the Wraith's strength was tied solely to their food source, which was ample enough then to make them dangerous to the Ancients, but not enough so to allow them to hammer home a victory. Even if there were those among the Ancient population who idealistically believed that giving the Wraith cloning technology would end the threat, it's quite possible that they never did because their leadership believed that would only make them more of a threat, as it ended up doing, and that's why they never tried getting the Wraith on a cloned food source.

Comment

well it may have been an issue of morals if the food source cloning was to close to sentient or was a moral dilemma to the ancients, they sure didnt want the asgard useing humans as test subjects in the pegasus galaxy or useing ancient dna as far as we could tell from thier few intereactions with the dark asgard

Comment

Possibly, but clones would only be blank slates with the potential to learn and grow, and they could be drones instead of humans. These are the same people who dismissed the value of sapient Asuran lives and sought to find technological ways to eradicate the Wraith. From their perspective is letting them clone low thinking drones to consume worse than letting all those untold numbers who were trapped without hyperspace capabilities because of the Attero device starve to death?

Comment

The problem I see with the clones is that if they clone Wraiths it would be cannibalism, kind of at least and if they would clone humans, at some point someone could find out and again be angry about it because even cloned humans are humans

Comment

It is cannibalism, but it's not something the Wraith have shown any opposition to.

Also, I'm not sure whose opposition to human cloning outside the Ancient population would matter to them. The second evolution humans can be angry about it all they want, but considering the Ancients have technological superiority, created them, and experimented on them (going at least as far as guiding the cultural development of some) I wouldn't expect that the Ancients are interested in consulting humans on the issue or letting their possible anger sway their decision.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 13 July 2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Even if the Wraith do not mind cannibalism, would drones even taste or are they then just something that is needed to survive and tastes horrible

It is only a theory I have but I could imagine that a humans character and experiences also make them taste different and that if a lank sheet like a drone is fed on I think they would be very tasteless and maybe even not as nutritive as someone else would be

Comment

@AnthonyAppleyard, I sent you a private message with some fanfic leads. Hopefully, others can send you some stories too.

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                        Even if the Wraith do not mind cannibalism, would drones even taste or are they then just something that is needed to survive and tastes horrible

It is only a theory I have but I could imagine that a humans character and experiences also make them taste different and that if a lank sheet like a drone is fed on I think they would be very tasteless and maybe even not as nutritive as someone else would be
                        Well we know the Wraith can taste strength, so it's possible the Wraith are the best tasting. A Wraith scientist also spliced Wraith DNA with human DNA in an effort to create stronger stock and stopped only because those modified humans gained telepathic abilities no matter how little Wraith DNA they added to the mix. It was implied that he may have been inclined to create hybrids with greater Wraith definitions than Telya had,* but were trying to scale back the amount of Wraith DNA used in an effort to find a point at which the humans stopped gaining those abilities. When they discovered that they manifested in humans no matter how little Wraith DNA was used, the experiment was scrapped.

His experiments don't mean hybrids taste better, only that they are a better food source that the Wraith may have been willing to exploit if not for the manifestation of telepathy and given their current situation where they have a limited food supply.

*Of course, it's worth noting that Telya is the product of a follow-up experiment to see if breeding could dilute Wraith genetics enough to remove those telepathic abilities, so how hybridized her ancestor was is unknown. That means there's Teyla's level of Wraith genetics, the level the test experiments that she and others like her descended from, and the even higher level that the scientist would have been willing to use if telepathic abilities weren't a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                          It is cannibalism, but it's not something the Wraith have shown any opposition to.
                          In "The Queen," knives/swords/neck snapping were used by both Todd and the other Commander. Just throwing that out there, that there may be various levels of aversion by different factions, for whatever reasons.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                          Well we know the Wraith can taste strength, so it's possible the Wraith are the best tasting.
                          How do you interpret "strength"? Mental, physical, or both? I had been thinking it was more mental, maybe mostly because the Wraith from "Condemned" referred to the quality of defiance tasting sweet. Also, do you think the masked warriors would taste stronger? They are physically strong, but seem low on defiance.
                          Last edited by WraithTech; 13 July 2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I always thought they only use cannibalism as a means to survive if they have no other choices, as we've seen them using other means to get their opponents out of the way like you said
                            I do not think those warriors would taste good, but then again it is likely that every Wraith has their own preferences about that, as humans do

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                              I always thought they only use cannibalism as a means to survive if they have no other choices
                              Same here, just as some humans chose to do in similar predicaments. Sad to say, a Wraith is guaranteed to be free of the Hoffan plague.

Comment

Working...
                              X