Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Human Offspring from Parents of Both Ancient and Wraith Heritage

Quote Originally Posted by WraithTech View Post
    That would weave a more complex world-building and make things more compelling. Wraith are already human and insect hybrids-- something both groups often forget.
    I have the feeling though that by most humans on Pegasus Wraith might be considered as useless and annoying as they sure see some insects.

Who knows maybe a child of a Wraith and a human would look less Wraith-like, so that it would be a bit easier to make people see that it's not just for one side but also could understand the needs of the others

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I often wondered about that as well, where are the Wraith children? Wraith couple? Female Wraiths other than queens? The only youngling we've seen was the ''adopted'' baby wraith by the scientist in the forest (forgot which episode). We learned that younger wraiths need to sustain themselves on real food.

Considering the fact that Wraith are immortals, would it be a fair assessment that Wraiths simply don't need to reproduce? Perhaps not on the same level than humans?
    I think Wraith can reproduce like humans can, don't take that as a given but in my mind they were always like humans in that

Also, I understand your point in having children to not let a bloodline or race die out but I do not think that can be the only reason for which to have a child, Some people just want to because they wish to teach at they know and give love to a small being, or want to be loved back in the way only a child will.
    If we look at the point of immortality I would even say it would be an advantage to have many children so you are not alone when all your friends and associates who are not immortal die
    Last edited by Az'ryel; July 16th, 2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Az'ryel View Post
    I think Wraith can reproduce like humans can, don't take that as a given but in my mind they were always like humans in that
    Might be so, but if females are so few as we are led to believe, how could one male Wraith be granted an ''audience'' with a queen? That being said, if the Queens are the only means of reproduction, they could assume complete control over the entire Wraith population!

Also, I understand your point in having children to not let a bloodline or race die out but I do not think that can be the only reason for which to have a child, Some people just want to because they wish to teach at they know and give love to a small being, or want to be loved back in the way only a child will.
    It's always possible that there might be some Wraiths out there that would have children for this reason, but it would surprise me that it's a generalized phenomenon. It's hard to tell since we've never seen any example of wraith intimate relationships, as some posters mentioned previously.

TODD: If I had taken the blame I would have been killed and you would have been held captive. That was not the desired outcome. You must understand: our culture is different from your own. We govern ourselves by different rules. It was important for you to claim ownership of the act of killing the Queen.
    The Queen Season 5
    If we look at the point of immortality I would even say it would be an advantage to have many children so you are not alone when all your friends and associates who are not immortal die
    Humans have short lifespan, therefore the need to reproduce is an inner instinct of our race. We need younger men and women to take over the jobs we had to ensure continuity of our race.

If I'd be immortal I wouldn't wanna stay alone! But, if I try to use a Wraith mindset: if you could live well over 10k years, would you really want to have a bunch of children that could eventually challenge your position of authority in a Hive? If I was in such a position, I would probably only have one child.

We still have no clue how ''real wraiths'' (not the clones) are conceived. If it is through normal breeding, I would agree with you. If it's not and done via a Queen in a process similar to the one we've seen in the cloning facility, I would say it doesn't really matter if a Wraith dies, as long as the Queen survives. I am not even convinced a Queen needs a male wraith to have children. Some insects in our wildlife can switch gender and do it on their own. Why not them?

I also recall a comment made by WraithTech in a different thread that talked about the fact that there isn't that many ''normal wraiths'' out there. My assumption is that they might not want to divide power that easily, since there's a limit to the amount of ''jobs'' in position of authority. If a Queen has indeed complete control, she would probably want to limit the amount of overlords and captains. I can't picture a Wraith being content with being assigned to a Drone jarhead job.

I'm really starting to feel like there's a HUGE part missing in the SGA story.

Ah, the joys of speculation about Wraith reproduction. With the wikia accepting the tie-ins as canon, there are often contradictions about this topic even within the same wiki article, because even the books from the same publisher have radically different ideas and each wiki writer is looking at a different book. It goes back how the show's producers didn't show us much about the Wraith.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I also recall a comment made by WraithTech in a different thread that talked about the fact that there isn't that many ''normal wraiths'' out there.
    I don't remember using that phrase, but if whoever said it was talking about there seeming to be a lower number of officers to the masked warriors, I think there is such a ratio imbalance and that it is so that the masked warriors do most of the risky work. I have not yet solidified many masked warrior theories as they are mysterious in and of themselves and have differing opinions on clones, normalcy, and mattering who dies, such as clones, which does also include Carson clone. It matters to me if characters die or not. I don't want to join this part of the off-topic convo and only made this post because my name was mentioned and misquoted (not the first time that has happened, including in this thread).
    Last edited by WraithTech; July 17th, 2018 at 03:06 AM.

Ah, the joys of speculation about Wraith reproduction. With the wikia accepting the tie-ins as canon, there are often contradictions about this topic even within the same wiki article, because even the books from the same publisher have radically different ideas and each wiki writer is looking at a different book. It goes back how the show's producers didn't show us much about the Wraith.
    I am just thinking it would be that way because otherwise it would be a bit tricky to get hybrids the natural way and then, we could assume about your original question that there can be no offspring other than maybe as an experiment
    I am thinking it is like with humans because Wraiths are not like insects and humanoid so it is quite possible that they can also reproduce that way...maybe they have more than one way of doing that....that is where imagination comes in
    Last edited by Az'ryel; July 17th, 2018 at 03:33 AM.

maybe they have more than one way of doing that....that is where imagination comes in
    True, the ways don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are good fanfics out there with variations of both (and even more ways).

I don't want to join this part of the off-topic convo and only made this post because my name was mentioned and misquoted (not the first time that has happened, including in this thread).
    My apologies for mismentioning you, I am not using misquoting because I did not quote anything but rather gave a very general description of a comment I had thought you made.

Best of luck with this topic.
    Last edited by Chaka-Z0; July 17th, 2018 at 07:21 AM.

True, the ways don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are good fanfics out there with variations of both (and even more ways).
    One could also write their own fan fic and see what comes out of that. I would find it interesting to read one about such a special child

One could also write their own fan fic and see what comes out of that. I would find it interesting to read one about such a special child
    I would like that too. There have been a lot of great plot bunnies in here. May they go forth and multiply.

This was an interesting topic... What happened?

edit. Come on, guys, we love this tv show. It is not worth of arguing with each other. Peace.
    Last edited by Platschu; August 24th, 2018 at 01:06 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

By the way... I know it is a bit off here and maybe I have written down in other thread as well, but can it happen that some Ancient technologies are "fueled" by lifeforce? I mean... We have seen the alien technology in the 5x20 The Sentinel that it needed a human sacrifice. We have also seen that the Dakara weapon could have drained the lifeforce of Selmak. We also know that the Ancient can heal with touch, which is almost equal to giving back lifeforce / years by the Wraith. So I am pretty sure that some Ancients can drain this type of energy like vampires.

Mini fan fictions (?) :

1. I always wanted to see a human world in the Milky Way, where we would discover that they are undercover Wraith, who pretend to be humans. Maybe a Hive ship could reach the Milky Way. They can sleep for decades, so it can not be a problem to travel a few months in space. Because our high-tech ships can make the distance in 3 weeks, so even if the Wraith would be slowlier a few months or even a few years wouldn't matter for them and soon it or later they could have reached MW.

2. A Goa'uld can also survive for centuries in a sarcophagus, so why has no Goa'uld ever tried to fly with a Ha'tak to an other galaxy? Maybe some renegate Goa'uld could settle down in the Pegasus galaxy...

3. Not to mention what would happen if a Goa'uld could have a Wraith Queen as a host...

I know that the writers wanted seperate two SG galaxies, so maybe that was the reason that such metaplots never happened.

Back to the children questions. I don't know. The past of the Pegasus galaxy is full of plotholes. We don't know how the "normal" humans showed up there. Has anyone brought taken humans there? Maybe the Giant aliens with an other Chrystal skull? Or the Vanir for expirement? Because if no Earth (or MW) related humans were brought there by ships, then it means that all human worlds are descendants of the Ancients. I doubt that the Ancients would have travelled with "second rate" humans together, so all of them must have been pure Ancients. But then it also means that all of them must hve had the ATA genes. Why would they discriminate their own kind that somebody can have the ATA genes and somebody hasnt. So everybody has got Ancients anchestors, so every human must have got the ATA genes in the Pegasus galaxy, if you follow my logic.

I don't remember the exact details regarding the past of the Wraith. I would strongly support this "Iratus bug accident" type of explanations. But anyway... however they have been created in the story, their Wraith skills can be inherited. If they could father common children with humans, then the ATA and the Wraith genes must have been mixed. That was the whole hybrid storyline in season 4-5 as Michael made a "new" race to combining the two existing one. So maybe the Wraith had a different origin as a race, I don't know. Because if the humans could hve children with the Wraith, then this genetic merge could have happened long time ago spontaneously.

It would have been interesting to see if the Wraith can feed on hybrids or not. I don't remember the story, I should rewatch the SG:A episodes. Or would the hybrids be closer to humans/Ancients? It is a shame that they have never developed this story a bit further.

It could have been a nice surprise that Teyla and the Athosians were Wraith since the beginning who were turned into humans with limited memories. Then Halling is actually Todd.... Or if only Halling could have been a Wraith, who infiltrated the Athosians as a human.... Don't worry, I am just joking, but it would have been a really dark plot twist.

I also imagined Todd as he is living on Earth, but he is using a "human hologram" from the foothold aliens to cover his look. It would be funny to see C. Heyerdahl to play both character as on and off Wraith.
    Last edited by Platschu; August 24th, 2018 at 02:06 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    This was an interesting topic... What happened?

edit. Come on, guys, we love this tv show. It is not worth of arguing with each other. Peace.
    In post #5, Chaka rolled your quote into a reply to me, erasing your name, making it look as if I wrote your post.
    In post #8, Chaka gave me a caustic reply to your fanfic idea, as if your fanfic idea was mine.
    In post #22, Chaka misattributed someone else’s idea of “normal Wraith” to me. I’m guessing that idea was also yours?

This pattern is unacceptable and these examples are only ones from just this one thread. If Chaka has something to say to you, it can be done without going through me. Leave me out of it.

There were also two supposed apologies in here, but it keeps happening, including in another thread dated after this one. If one is truly sorry, don't apologize-- stop doing it!

Also, this is a thread about children, not which characters matters dies or not, so I will call Chaka out on that too. That is off-topic thread derailment and just plain inconsiderate of fans of those characters:
    https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...1#post11839284

I started this thread in good faith to celebrate all character races, but had it used as a go-between for snide comments aimed at myself and others and derailed with off-topic talk of death not mattering aimed at character classes. Not cool.

I am calling this out so others on this forum can be aware and look out for these patterns too.

By the way, for people who care about this topic, as I do, it seems the SGC site might have more mods at the moment and this theme was picked up over there, with links to fanfics about Torren and mention of Bug Shep (who may have also had both the ATA gene and Iratus bug DNA at the same time).
    https://www.stargatecommand.co/forum...tml&k=d37d5f82
    Last edited by WraithTech; August 24th, 2018 at 06:51 PM.

Maybe he has done it without any wrong intention. This quote system can be a bit confusing. We have banned the chain-qoutes in our Hungarian SG forum, so max. 1 quote could be included. It was a better way to read the comments easier instead of skipping the repeated parts again and again.

We still need a story about Wraith childrens. A race can not survive without babies and children. I know maybe it is not the most exciting subject, but even our "enemies" has got family and that is what the writers forget quite frequently. Not just here, but in so many other fiction. For example: they introduce a new "race", what is technically only a small group, maybe a family. But then what? How would they procreate if there are no other similar families? What will happen with their children when the parents die? Will they die lonely? So what I wanted to say that if somebody, somewhere, somehow introduce a new race on a planet in a scifi, then they have to plan the past and the future of that race. Not just randomly throw them in as they look cool or they are really evil etc.

So back to the original question. If there are no Wraith children, then their number would always decrease with wars. On the other hand, if they have got got Wraith children, then what decide which Wraith hive is more successful? I mean the isolasonist hive, who just feeds occasionally? Or the nonstoply expanding one? Or that hive which considers the humans as allies? How can a Queen's personality and decisions influence the future of her hive? So which way of "living" will be genetically more positive for the Wraith if we look into the future? They have evolved for thousand years, but such little attitude or cultural changes can really make a little group of Wraith successfull or easily vulnerable.

I was thinking about such evolutionary biology when I am watching the Stargate (or other shows). Stargate is a good concept to bring races together, to skip the distance between culture, but on the hand it can be a catalyst of destroying of civilizations. It could be nice to talk about such moral questions as it could split even the Ancients up into different philosophical fractions.
    Last edited by Platschu; August 25th, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

Platschu, I agree with what all you said about the Stargate show, but can't comment further due I am through being used as a go-between between. You asked why this thread died off and I answered with concrete examples, including where it was acknowledged this pattern was condescending-- and still keeps happening over and over.