No announcement yet.

Human Offspring from Parents of Both Ancient and Wraith Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They haven't shown us more about Wraiths because they are supposed to be the bad ones. If we knew as much about them as we do about the humans, then it would have been harder to convince people it is OK for them to be just killed

I cannot remember if we ever saw Wraiths children, or that it was mentioned on the show that a human had a child with a Wraith

If such a child existed though I think it would have been seen as a threat, to go back to this thread's topic

Comment

It's a common short-cut in scifi and fantasy to have the antagonists be suspiciously mostly full-grown, strong, military-age men, with and no families in sight and little known about them.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
        It's a common short-cut in scifi and fantasy to have the antagonists be suspiciously mostly full-grown, strong, military-age men, with and no families in sight and little known about them.
        That is the "I have nothing to lose" type of enemy rather then the one who does what he does for his family or friends which could raise doubts about the righteousness of their doing in the protagonist

Would be actually good for a plot line, someone having a child with a Wraith work against the humans to protect their child because they know it is special and could be seen as a threat but they believe it could help to bring peace. Since they know humans/Ancient and Wraiths can live together even in love and hope that their kid can be helping others to see that too

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
          Would be actually good for a plot line, someone having a child with a Wraith work against the humans to protect their child because they know it is special and could be seen as a threat but they believe it could help to bring peace. Since they know humans/Ancient and Wraiths can live together even in love and hope that their kid can be helping others to see that too
          That would weave a more complex world-building and make things more compelling. Wraith are already human and insect hybrids-- something both groups often forget.

(Clarification: By humans, I meant more so the New Lanteans by the time of the end of SGA and any who knew more about the Wraith. Some Pegasus humans, such as the ones from Zaddik's planet, didn't even know what the Wraith looked like.)
          Last edited by WraithTech; 16 July 2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I cannot remember if we ever saw Wraiths children, or that it was mentioned on the show that a human had a child with a Wraith

If such a child existed though I think it would have been seen as a threat, to go back to this thread's topic
            I often wondered about that as well, where are the Wraith children? Wraith couple? Female Wraiths other than queens? The only youngling we've seen was the ''adopted'' baby wraith by the scientist in the forest (forgot which episode). We learned that younger wraiths need to sustain themselves on real food.

Considering the fact that Wraith are immortals, would it be a fair assessment that Wraiths simply don't need to reproduce? Perhaps not on the same level than humans?
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

That would weave a more complex world-building and make things more compelling. Wraith are already human and insect hybrids-- something both groups often forget.
              I have the feeling though that by most humans on Pegasus Wraith might be considered as useless and annoying as they sure see some insects.

Who knows maybe a child of a Wraith and a human would look less Wraith-like, so that it would be a bit easier to make people see that it's not just for one side but also could understand the needs of the others

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
              I often wondered about that as well, where are the Wraith children? Wraith couple? Female Wraiths other than queens? The only youngling we've seen was the ''adopted'' baby wraith by the scientist in the forest (forgot which episode). We learned that younger wraiths need to sustain themselves on real food.

Considering the fact that Wraith are immortals, would it be a fair assessment that Wraiths simply don't need to reproduce? Perhaps not on the same level than humans?
              I think Wraith can reproduce like humans can, don't take that as a given but in my mind they were always like humans in that

Also, I understand your point in having children to not let a bloodline or race die out but I do not think that can be the only reason for which to have a child, Some people just want to because they wish to teach at they know and give love to a small being, or want to be loved back in the way only a child will.
              If we look at the point of immortality I would even say it would be an advantage to have many children so you are not alone when all your friends and associates who are not immortal die
              Last edited by DarkenLycht; 16 July 2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I think Wraith can reproduce like humans can, don't take that as a given but in my mind they were always like humans in that
                Might be so, but if females are so few as we are led to believe, how could one male Wraith be granted an ''audience'' with a queen? That being said, if the Queens are the only means of reproduction, they could assume complete control over the entire Wraith population!

Also, I understand your point in having children to not let a bloodline or race die out but I do not think that can be the only reason for which to have a child, Some people just want to because they wish to teach at they know and give love to a small being, or want to be loved back in the way only a child will.
                It's always possible that there might be some Wraiths out there that would have children for this reason, but it would surprise me that it's a generalized phenomenon. It's hard to tell since we've never seen any example of wraith intimate relationships, as some posters mentioned previously.

TODD: If I had taken the blame I would have been killed and you would have been held captive. That was not the desired outcome. You must understand: our culture is different from your own. We govern ourselves by different rules. It was important for you to claim ownership of the act of killing the Queen.
                The Queen Season 5
                If we look at the point of immortality I would even say it would be an advantage to have many children so you are not alone when all your friends and associates who are not immortal die
                Humans have short lifespan, therefore the need to reproduce is an inner instinct of our race. We need younger men and women to take over the jobs we had to ensure continuity of our race.

If I'd be immortal I wouldn't wanna stay alone! But, if I try to use a Wraith mindset: if you could live well over 10k years, would you really want to have a bunch of children that could eventually challenge your position of authority in a Hive? If I was in such a position, I would probably only have one child.

We still have no clue how ''real wraiths'' (not the clones) are conceived. If it is through normal breeding, I would agree with you. If it's not and done via a Queen in a process similar to the one we've seen in the cloning facility, I would say it doesn't really matter if a Wraith dies, as long as the Queen survives. I am not even convinced a Queen needs a male wraith to have children. Some insects in our wildlife can switch gender and do it on their own. Why not them?

I also recall a comment made by WraithTech in a different thread that talked about the fact that there isn't that many ''normal wraiths'' out there. My assumption is that they might not want to divide power that easily, since there's a limit to the amount of ''jobs'' in position of authority. If a Queen has indeed complete control, she would probably want to limit the amount of overlords and captains. I can't picture a Wraith being content with being assigned to a Drone jarhead job.

I'm really starting to feel like there's a HUGE part missing in the SGA story.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Ah, the joys of speculation about Wraith reproduction. With the wikia accepting the tie-ins as canon, there are often contradictions about this topic even within the same wiki article, because even the books from the same publisher have radically different ideas and each wiki writer is looking at a different book. It goes back how the show's producers didn't show us much about the Wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    I also recall a comment made by WraithTech in a different thread that talked about the fact that there isn't that many ''normal wraiths'' out there.
                    I don't remember using that phrase, but if whoever said it was talking about there seeming to be a lower number of officers to the masked warriors, I think there is such a ratio imbalance and that it is so that the masked warriors do most of the risky work. I have not yet solidified many masked warrior theories as they are mysterious in and of themselves and have differing opinions on clones, normalcy, and mattering who dies, such as clones, which does also include Carson clone. It matters to me if characters die or not. I don't want to join this part of the off-topic convo and only made this post because my name was mentioned and misquoted (not the first time that has happened, including in this thread).
                    Last edited by WraithTech; 17 July 2018, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Ah, the joys of speculation about Wraith reproduction. With the wikia accepting the tie-ins as canon, there are often contradictions about this topic even within the same wiki article, because even the books from the same publisher have radically different ideas and each wiki writer is looking at a different book. It goes back how the show's producers didn't show us much about the Wraith.
                      I am just thinking it would be that way because otherwise it would be a bit tricky to get hybrids the natural way and then, we could assume about your original question that there can be no offspring other than maybe as an experiment
                      I am thinking it is like with humans because Wraiths are not like insects and humanoid so it is quite possible that they can also reproduce that way...maybe they have more than one way of doing that....that is where imagination comes in
                      Last edited by DarkenLycht; 17 July 2018, 03:33 AM.

Comment

maybe they have more than one way of doing that....that is where imagination comes in
                        True, the ways don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are good fanfics out there with variations of both (and even more ways).

Comment

I don't want to join this part of the off-topic convo and only made this post because my name was mentioned and misquoted (not the first time that has happened, including in this thread).
                          My apologies for mismentioning you, I am not using misquoting because I did not quote anything but rather gave a very general description of a comment I had thought you made.

Best of luck with this topic.
                          Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 17 July 2018, 07:21 AM.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

True, the ways don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are good fanfics out there with variations of both (and even more ways).
                            One could also write their own fan fic and see what comes out of that. I would find it interesting to read one about such a special child

Comment

One could also write their own fan fic and see what comes out of that. I would find it interesting to read one about such a special child
                              I would like that too. There have been a lot of great plot bunnies in here. May they go forth and multiply.

Comment

This was an interesting topic... What happened?

edit. Come on, guys, we love this tv show. It is not worth of arguing with each other. Peace.
                                Last edited by Platschu; 24 August 2018, 01:06 PM.
                                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X