This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    In Ep 8 there are a lot of shield strikes.
    you talking about the new shows? haven't watched yet

I meant only the films (starting with the 2009 one with Nero)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      you talking about the new shows? haven't watched yet

I meant only the films (starting with the 2009 one with Nero)
      OH, you mean ST?
      Yeah, they use shields.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

OH, you mean ST?
        Yeah, they use shields.
        https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2660888/

shields in any one of those???

Comment

Yes.
          Are they TNG shields?
          No.
          They are not even TOS shields, which is why I dislike the JJ-verse.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes.
            Are they TNG shields?
            No.
            They are not even TOS shields, which is why I dislike the JJ-verse.
            yeah well I dont remember seeing any sort of shield FX in any of those '_'

in which of those 3 films did you see it?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
              yeah well I dont remember seeing any sort of shield FX in any of those '_'

in which of those 3 films did you see it?
              All of them, re-watch them.
              sigpic

Comment

maybe the fx were too ****ty to be noticeable gonna try find some scenes on youtube

Comment

Wow you guys have talked a lot since I was on earlier.

Ok a lot to unpack.

Firstly the star trek thing. Yes there are Shields in the JJ movies. No they are hard to see and in fact most of the engagements we see they are either ineffectual or not on. In Star Trek Nero’s weapons can go through the 23rd Century ship’s shields, in Into Darkness when the Vengeance fires on the Enterprise they are at warp and kirk wasn’t expecting an engagement so the shields were down and in Beyond you do see one or two ships effectiely bounce off the ship before a big swarm of them overwhelm the deflector dish and dissable the shields completely (as an asside, that’s not how the shields are supposed to work, but I’ll ignore it. Alternate reality. Maybe the deflector has been tied into the shield grid for some odd reason...)

Personally I agree Snoke could have been handled better but I’ll hold overall judgement until the third film in the trilogy. In my view after the first two there seems to be this growing narrative of the youth throwing off the restraints of the old guard. In VII Rey and Kylo were seemingly starting a new path of their already established lives. Rey’s started when she left Jakku and Kylo’s started when he killed Han. In the second film this culminates in Rey learning from Luke but then rejecting what he was attempting to teach (that the Jedi should either not exist or should just leave well enough alone) while Kylo defies Snoke and outright kills him. Snoke may turn out to be more important but I’m willing to accept him as a bit player the same way Palpatine was before we got the prequels.

Yes Sith can have force ghosts. No Yoda wouldn’t know about them because the only Jedi that did at that time was Qui-Gon (who as I recall told Yoda as such at the end of that story of clone wars). Palpatine wanted to find a way to live forever so it makes sense that he would turn himself into a force ghost. Upside to his death is that we never saw a body.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Point of order: TOS-era shields were not 'bubbles' as they were in the TNG era. They were snug to the ship's hull.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Point of order: TOS-era shields were not 'bubbles' as they were in the TNG era. They were snug to the ship's hull.
                      This is true. You didn’t even really see them. They were just sort of additional flashes of energy where the impact occurs or ripples across the hull lin a similar visual effect to when the Star Destroyers got hit by Ion Cannons in ESB. I think in Star Trek VI, even though they say they have shields up there is no real indication they are since every single shot the Enterprise takes in the battle you see some sort of physical mark on the hull.

The thing with Shields is that they don’t make for good film making as action scenes are about building tension and fear for our heroes.Keeping in mind that all films are made for casual viewers to see.So a Star Trek fan might find constant call outs of “shields at xx%” will fulfill that need for tension, but a casual viewer doesn’t really care. They’re waiting for that visual spectacle of explosions because that is an instant visual cue that everyone understands ie. explosions = bad.

Comment

Back on the topic of Rise of Skywalker, what exactly is meant by the title ? I see in the teaser that the STAR WARS logo is blue instead of normal gold. So this must mean SOMETHING, LAst Jedi and Force Awakens were both normal Star Wars gold logo. So why is this one blue ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                          Back on the topic of Rise of Skywalker, what exactly is meant by the title ? I see in the teaser that the STAR WARS logo is blue instead of normal gold. So this must mean SOMETHING, LAst Jedi and Force Awakens were both normal Star Wars gold logo. So why is this one blue ?
                          It's just an announcement/placeholder poster until they reveal a final/official poster.

Episode VII was yellow until the official one.
                          Episode VIII was red until the official one.
                          Now Episode IX is blue...until a final poster is released

I heard an interesting speculation the other day though: that with the Sith dead, and the last of the Jedi dead....perhaps Rey is the start of something new--a Force user who isn't bound to the dogmas of either dead order, who walks the line somewhere between, 'bringing balance to the Force.' And that maybe she calls her new role/order the Skywalkers or Sky Walkers, hence the title.

It's a little out there and I don't know how much I buy it...and lifts a bit from the Imperial Knights of the Expanded Universe, but it's kind of fun.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            It's just an announcement/placeholder poster until they reveal a final/official poster.

Episode VII was yellow until the official one.
                            Episode VIII was red until the official one.
                            Now Episode IX is blue...until a final poster is released

I heard an interesting speculation the other day though: that with the Sith dead, and the last of the Jedi dead....perhaps Rey is the start of something new--a Force user who isn't bound to the dogmas of either dead order, who walks the line somewhere between, 'bringing balance to the Force.' And that maybe she calls her new role/order the Skywalkers or Sky Walkers, hence the title.

It's a little out there and I don't know how much I buy it...and lifts a bit from the Imperial Knights of the Expanded Universe, but it's kind of fun.
                            My current theory is that Rey is Palpatine's second attempt at creating a powerful force user he can control. He's using Ben as a means to turn her to the dark side but she is his actual goal. Anakin failed him and lost a lot of his power when he became Vader but she's still got all that raw power. So she was born like Anakin was, which is why Kylo believes that her parents were just scum who abandoned her, because they were. And in the end she chooses to take the Skywalker name because that it pretty much who she is. She's Anakin's sister in a big way.

Comment

I have more to say on this episode and this whole new trilogy, but for now, I am just going to drop this here

@gatefan1976 is there a way you and I can have a pm? you kn ow me from 2 other places (under a diff name) and I just have a few,what shall I call it? "insider questions" regarding star wars and our shared past experiences elsewhere regarding SW's ----- Is that cryptic enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrH5Eu6WjnY&t=1s

Comment

Skywalker's? are we not done with them yet?

We should be, there is so much more to the-canon- story of Star Wars then one dysfunctional family

and, now that it has been confirmed, the "fact" that Anakin was indeed created and seeded into Shmi by Palpaltine using the force, just tells me that the Skywalkers have been nothing but pawns for the Sith

did he create any others?

and what is Han's real last name anyhow? JJ and crew just dont drop stuff like that into scripts for no reason. Solo could have just gone on being Han's real family name and no one needed to have any changes... so, is Kylo maybe a "who knows who" and a Skywalker?

I would even venture that Palpaltine, being unafraid of death (cloning or force resurrection), wanted Luke to destroy the Death Star and to have DV kill him. he wanted the reunion of the Skywalker family as that was needed to further his goals. those goals still be revealed in EP 9? why else is Palpatine in ep 9?

But really, lets be done already. Disney/lucasarts needs to put away the skywalkers and get on with the telling of the greater star wars story. there is after all,so much to tell

Comment

Working...
                                X