This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    It is indeed! Today was the first full day of Celebration, and the Episode IX panel was the big event. I may or may not have watched the 1+ hour livestream here at work....
    A link to said event:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhiLZOprZE
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Sorry guys, if I seemed too negative. A close family member died today, so I am not really in happy mood.

I love Star Wars. Maybe I am the weird one, but I prefer the prequel trilogy asmy favorite is Episode III. So many fanshated these movies as they seemed heretic next to the original movies, but I have "grown up" on these three at age 19, 22 and 25. I really love the colorful, vibrant style of the prequels as George Lucas really tried to create visually stunning, but also different landscapes in every movie. I had the same feeling even for the Clone Wars series, where season 3-5-(6) shows a pure visually convincing, really living universe.

Then the new trilogy arrived. I will skip the moaning for Ep. VII and VIII. It looks like Ep. IX follows the same style again. Good, but not enough good. Nothing amazing or really unique idea. I love desert, but for every new movies? You know Avatar could show us alien ecosystem 10 years ago. Even the prequels had so many little details that the audience could feel the difference between the locations. I would like to get back this discovery feeling as the technology reached that level that only the fantasy is the limit of the artists nowadays. Money definately can not be a factor as SW is the biggest name on the movie market like a flagship. So far Ep. IX looks like a budget version of SW again instead of being visually rich and exotic, but maybe I will be wrong and it will be pure awesome fun. I have really lowered my expectations after the horrible Ep. VIII which nearly managed to kill off my enthusiasm for this brand. Sorry. Probably Clone Wars season 7 will be made for me.

Other. I am guessing Leia's scene will be a flashback after her death if they won't use any CGI, so Rey will remember her this way as it can be seen briefly in the teaser. Or her "Jedi" spirit will communicate or guide her.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Yes...that's generally how it works....

(Excuse me while I die laughing at the greatest Freudian slip I've seen in 15 years on GW )
        This is what I get using my phone. Damn auto-correct!
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          Sorry guys, if I seemed too negative. A close family member died today, so I am not really in happy mood.

I love Star Wars. Maybe I am the weird one, but I prefer the prequel trilogy asmy favorite is Episode III. So many fanshated these movies as they seemed heretic next to the original movies, but I have "grown up" on these three at age 19, 22 and 25. I really love the colorful, vibrant style of the prequels as George Lucas really tried to create visually stunning, but also different landscapes in every movie. I had the same feeling even for the Clone Wars series, where season 3-5-(6) shows a pure visually convincing, really living universe.

Then the new trilogy arrived. I will skip the moaning for Ep. VII and VIII. It looks like Ep. IX follows the same style again. Good, but not enough good. Nothing amazing or really unique idea. I love desert, but for every new movies? You know Avatar could show us alien ecosystem 10 years ago. Even the prequels had so many little details that the audience could feel the difference between the locations. I would like to get back this discovery feeling as the technology reached that level that only the fantasy is the limit of the artists nowadays. Money definately can not be a factor as SW is the biggest name on the movie market like a flagship. So far Ep. IX looks like a budget version of SW again instead of being visually rich and exotic, but maybe I will be wrong and it will be pure awesome fun. I have really lowered my expectations after the horrible Ep. VIII which nearly managed to kill off my enthusiasm for this brand. Sorry. Probably Clone Wars season 7 will be made for me.

Other. I am guessing Leia's scene will be a flashback after her death if they won't use any CGI, so Rey will remember her this way as it can be seen briefly in the teaser. Or her "Jedi" spirit will communicate or guide her.
          Aww I'm sorry, dude. Message me if you need to talk through anything.

Otherwise that does explain a lot. I grew up with the prequels too. I was 10 when Ep1 came out, and I loved all three at the time but as I've grown up I just find them... well... awful. I mean I occasionally like to watch them for the action. But that's really all. I do love the Clone Wars series. Can't wait for season 7. But that to me is what the prequels SHOULD have been. I hate anything to do with Anakin being the chosen one and i hate how black and white they make the dark side seem. The one thing I do like about the prequels (ok two things... ok three things...) is a) how the Jedi are given this subtle subtext of being a decaying order. B) Palpatine. C) Obi-Wan. But the last two are only down to the actors who play them really. And also conversely to the first point I still hate how the Jedi are portrayed at the same time.

To me Star Wars movies are swashbuckling romps. They're about plucky, wisecracking heroes and ridiculous odds with some pew pews, spaceships and laser swords thrown in for good measure. The planets and the aliens are all just window dressing. I mean the only alien that actually matters through the entire Saga is Yoda... And I mean I guess you could argue *sigh* Jar Jar too... (stupid idiot effectively gave Palpatine the galaxy)
          To be honest, even with the parts of the EU I enjoy, I find all of star wars totally shallow. I don't derive any great meaning or nuance to it and it doesn't need it. They're just fun adventure tales. I get excited for them, but I don't see what's special about any of them, if that makes sense. Beyond of course their technical importance when they came out.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
            So, question is... its in the trailer but Ill tag it anyway

Spoiler:
            Is that Palpatine at the end?
            could also be Jar Jar

killing off Snoke is what killed it (a cheap death which he should've foreseen too) cause let's face it the only "big bad" left now is some pallid Vader wannabe with moderate force powers

now they can bring him back as some sort of "dark force ghost" but that'd go against canon
            Last edited by SoulReaver; 13 April 2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

In an ever-expanding universe, canon is not set in stone and immutable for all time. It is what it is until we're told more, and then canon includes that too.

Vader was not Luke's father until the end of Empire. That was "not canon" from 1977-80. Leia was not Luke's sister until Jedi, so that was "not canon" from 1977-83. It's the nature of a franchise that's still active.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

but wasn't it explicitly said (movie or canon books, haven't read any of the latter tbh) that dark-siders can't become ghosts?

Comment

Nope. It was assumed by fandom because we've only ever seen Jedi Force ghosts in the films, but no.

I would argue that the Father/Son/Daughter from Mortis, the Force Priestesses, and most especially the appearance to Yoda of the spirit of Darth Bane are proof positive that there are many ways to become a 'spirit' of the Force.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

wasn't the Bane ghost some sort of hologram? (not the real deal)

Yoda said "not real you are" or something

Comment

And the Jedi are never wrong? It was on Moraband, at Bane's tomb, and a Sith spirit manifested. Yoda proverbially plugging his ears and going 'lalala can't hear you' doesn't make him correct.

But I'm getting off point here. Canon is what they say it is. Even if, at some point in the past, they'd had Yoda or Kenobi (or whoever) say that only Jedi can be Force spirits, that's only the case until new movie/book/comic/game/whatever comes along and says "actually they were wrong, they only thought that because [blahblah]." That's what canon is in a franchise that isn't dead.

Comment

alrite so let's assume it was a ghost (Yoda should've sensed him as a real presence but w/e) why didn't he attack Yoda? ep XIII confirmed what OB1 said force ghosts are more powerful than their live versions

now that Disney's in charge I wouldn't put it past them to do a retcon of sorts especially after they brought back Maul from an impossible situation I reckon anything's possible

I actually hope they bring back Snoke
                        they can also bring back Sidious himself - alive - and make him as powerful as he was in the EU (magnitudes higher than Anakin or Luke could ever be)
                        Last edited by SoulReaver; 13 April 2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                          alrite so let's assume it was a real ghost (as a jedi Yoda should've been able to sense a real presence but w/e) why didn't Bane attack Yoda? episode XIII confirmed what OB1 said long ago it showed that force ghosts are more powerful than their live versions
                          You're conflating (or appear to be) "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" with physical capability/violence. That's demonstrably not the case. So far as I can recall, we have never seen a Force spirit physically interact with the real world. Whether Obi-Wan in the OT, Qui-Gon in the Mortis episodes, or Bane, or even Luke's Force-projection in TLJ--none of these have actually had any physical interaction with the world.

admittedly now that Disney's in charge I wouldn't put it past them to do a retcon of sorts especially after they brought back Maul from a seemingly impossible situation I reckon anything's possible
                          Disney wasn't involved in Maul's return. Maul's reappearance was first teased in The Clone Wars in January 2011 (meaning the episode was undoubtedly written at least six months before that). Disney didn't buy Lucasfilm until October 2012.

they could also bring back Sidious himself & make him as powerful as he was in the EU (magnitudes higher than Anakin or Luke could ever be)
                          I hope it's not a clone a la Dark Empire. There's certainly plenty of precedent for it, but Dark Empire just left such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't want it to happen again....

Comment

You're conflating (or appear to be) "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" with physical capability/violence. That's demonstrably not the case. So far as I can recall, we have never seen a Force spirit physically interact with the real world. Whether Obi-Wan in the OT, Qui-Gon in the Mortis episodes, or Bane, or even Luke's Force-projection in TLJ--none of these have actually had any physical interaction with the world.
                            ? ghost Yoda did some very real force demo on that planet
                            (admittedly ep XII & XIII ain't favourites of mine so I don't remember the details)

Disney wasn't involved in Maul's return. Maul's reappearance was first teased in The Clone Wars in January 2011 (meaning the episode was undoubtedly written at least six months before that). Disney didn't buy Lucasfilm until October 2012.
                            so Lucas himself planned to bring back Maul?

nb. apparently one of the writers themselves Dave Filoni confirmed this wasn't Bane just an illusion projected by the priestesses as Lucas had said the sith are too selfish & cling to life that's what stops them from returning as ghosts
                            this ain't to say more powerful force users like Sidious or Snoke can't find a way around this

Comment

? ghost Yoda did some very real force demo on that planet
                              (admittedly ep XII & XIII ain't favourites of mine so I don't remember the details)
                              Spirit Yoda used the Force to summon lightning from a storm. He didn't physically interact with the world.

so Lucas himself planned to bring back Maul?
                              Correct. Lucas and Filoni.

apparently one of the writers themselves Dave Filoni confirmed this wasn't Bane just an illusion projected by the priestesses
                              I'm wary of this, because it was Pablo Hidalgo who said it (not Filoni). You'd be right to point out that Pablo absolutely is part of the Story Group, but he's notorious for not liking or wanting people to take his thoughts as immutable canon. He's even made a point over the last two years of trying not to talk about Star Wars in any official capacity on his Twitter account.

this ain't to say more powerful force users like Sidious or Snoke can't find a way around this
                              I'm very curious how, if at all, Snoke will fit into this final film....

Comment

I hope he's just gone, he was a pretty poor villain.
                                One thing I noticed in the trailer and did not like was:
                                Spoiler:

Kylo physically pushing a guy down with his lightsabre, that's not how they work, the guy would be cut in half.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X