This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay...

Anyway, enough of that tangent, back to the trailer: something I've been hearing is that the planet with the wreckage of the second Death Star isn't actually Endor from ROTJ, that it's actually going to be a place called Kef Bir. Apparently this is in the description for the new Star Tours ride at Disneyland. I have no idea how it would've gotten to another planet entirely, but I suppose -- given that Endor is described in ROTJ as "the forest moon of Endor," and that we never saw the parent planet -- it could be another moon around the same parent planet, or even another planet entirely in the same star system.

Should be interesting to find out!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've always presumed that the Death Stars had the ability to travel through space.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        I've always presumed that the Death Stars had the ability to travel through space.
        Well yes, we did see that with the first Death Star (construction started over Geonosis, moved to [wherever construction continued], to Jedha, to Scarif, to Alderaan, to Yavin). It only makes sense that the second one would too -- what's the point of building a planet-killer if it can only destroy the planet you build it over and then it's useless? But it pretty clearly exploded in orbit of Endor, not while it was in transit anywhere, so I can't imagine the debris traveled very far
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Concerning Endor and its moon{s}. It is quite possible that the Forest Moon of Endor is infact Kib Air and it is the moon that orbits the planet of Endor, and thanks to the massive parts of the second death star going who knows where could have changed the climate of said Moon of Endor {what I personally am calling Kib Air though it may most likely end up being an entirely different moon} Or could have even landed on a different moon, {unless the moon itself is named Endor and the planet it orbits is Kib Air ??}

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Four weeks of promos to come!

Comment

Oh boy...this is the point at which I start becoming really terrified of spoilers!

Comment

And people are already moaning about the clunky dialogue in the scene haha

Comment

They're really going OTT on the TV spots...

Comment

I'm curious. This is not a question of whether you believe the leaks to be true or not. But, hypothetically speaking, how would you feel if they are true? How would you feel if Ep IX is exactly as described?

sigpic
                      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I have read 0 leaks, so it wouldn't really have any impact on me.

In a more general sense, it would make me sad that both leakers and leak-readers don't have the self-control to enjoy a movie in the way that it was intended to be watched by the people who made it.

I know, some people love to say that they love spoilers ahead of time so that they can know what to watch for or some such, but to me that's a completely hollow argument. The reason why big reveals ("no, I am your father" springs immediately to mind) are such huge moments, both in the moment and still recognized as cultural events four decades later, are precisely because nobody sees them coming.

The story beats, the foreshadowing elements, the dramatic reveals, the cliffhangers, those are all meant to happen in the order that the storyteller placed them. Whether it's a book, a comic, a TV show, a movie, or whatever else -- a story is constructed the way it is because that's how the storyteller intends you to experience it.

Comment

I'm not sure that the story beats and such are an issue sometimes Digi.
                          Sometimes the story is just BAD.
                          Would you defend 50 shades of grey with such adour?
                          Nope, cause it's a bad story.
                          Twilight?
                          It has it's merits, but on the whole it sucks.

Being sucky can be objective. I love Stephen king, he has produced some absolutely suckworthy work.
                          Nothing is worth blind adulation, and sometimes the storyteller fails.
                          Sometimes, it's just not good.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            I'm not sure that the story beats and such are an issue sometimes Digi.
                            Sometimes the story is just BAD.
                            Would you defend 50 shades of grey with such adour?
                            Nope, cause it's a bad story.
                            Twilight?
                            It has it's merits, but on the whole it sucks.

Being sucky can be objective. I love Stephen king, he has produced some absolutely suckworthy work.
                            Nothing is worth blind adulation, and sometimes the storyteller fails.
                            Sometimes, it's just not good.
                            You're right, there are many bad stories. But that's never (or at least, almost never) intentional, and in every case -- good story or bad -- the intent of the storyteller is still for you to experience it beginning to end.

I suppose in a way it's a little like a meal. If a chef prepares you a meal, they do so with the intent that you start with the appetizer, then the first course, then the next (etc), and finish it off with a dessert. There's a linear structure to the meal by design, with each experience building on the last until the climax. Straying from that undercuts the entire experience, regardless of whether the chef's ingredients are market-fresh or came from Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              You're right, there are many bad stories. But that's never (or at least, almost never) intentional, and in every case -- good story or bad -- the intent of the storyteller is still for you to experience it beginning to end.
                              Agree.
                              But good intentions aside, do the fans (and given the toxic nature of SW fans right now I hate to use it), have a right to be PO'ed?
                              I suppose in a way it's a little like a meal. If a chef prepares you a meal, they do so with the intent that you start with the appetizer, then the first course, then the next (etc), and finish it off with a dessert. There's a linear structure to the meal by design, with each experience building on the last until the climax.
                              But hasn't that been the issue?
                              We have not had one chef?
                              Chef 1 decides where we are going, and chef 2 says "bollux that, I'm going where I want".
                              If JJ really wanted SW, he should have stuck with it, and I guess that is really what annoys me. He got SW, he got ST, and (IMHO) he's screwed both of them by not going forward with his vision.
                              I'm not saying he "wrecked my childhood", but if you truly want such an impactful brand, have the guts to stick with it, and not pass it off.
                              Straying from that undercuts the entire experience, regardless of whether the chef's ingredients are market-fresh or came from Walmart.
                              Bingo.
                              sigpic

Comment

Red Carpet was Monday. Review embargo lifts at midnight PST. Opens in part of EU Wednesday.

I don't know what standard practice is. Should another thread be started for people who've seen it?

Comment

Working...
                                X