Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Staff Sergeant

Default Re: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Right, sure - but if a kid already knows how an M16 works, it's not a huge leap for him to figure out how an AK47 works. He already understands the fundamental mechanics and mechanisms, it's just a matter of applying what he already knows, to something similar.

You're right in that he won't have the combat training, but he would have an edge in that the Force would give him a pretty reliable nudge to duck if something is about to blow up in his face, an edge that any other kid/soldier wouldn't have.
    there are very few innate abilities that actually are of use in the real military

a kid who joins that knows hot use the benefits of the wild is of no real use/no application. when you go to the field you are not allowed to eat anything native growing wild--against plicy, have to eat the crap in the can/box/plastic envelope

additionally the kids who had to re train in basic for BRM (basic rifle marksmanship), myself included, were all men, all of us who had hunted and knew how-supposedly, to use a rifle. had to say out on the range one more night and day to 'zero and qualify' when the rest of the company went back to the barracks

military gear is a whole diff world from 't-16's and rock hoppers, etc,etc' of prior experience

so yeah, i agree that luke's (and rey's and ezra's) innate abilities gave them an edge, being force sensitive cannot replace actual training or experience with anything

We're obviously not disagreeing
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgharrah View Post
    a shot of the Knights of Ren (?) and Zorri Bliss

hopefully, there will be no admirals or generals in ball gowns

Quote Originally Posted by magi877 View Post
    i would just like to see the franchise move on to the new 'promised land'---Skywalker and Palpatine free please
    I'm afraid the Emperor will be quite operational when episode IX arrives

Those horse type aliens look nice. I still don't know if one movie can fix this new trilogy.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Those horse type aliens look nice. I still don't know if one movie can fix this new trilogy.
    Meh. I recently discovered that watching the prequels is made a 1000 times better by simply watching with Japanese dubbing switched on and just reading the subtitles so... Small things make a big difference.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    I'm afraid the Emperor will be quite operational when episode IX arrives
    yes, after this trilogy is done

we are most likely getting;

2 (or 3) new trilogies-hopefully skywalker free

two new tv shows (well disney plus shows) the mandalorian and a ROGUE ONE prequel show

and a new season of CLONE WARS

hopefully the animated area can recover after this current cartoon series is over --i haven't heard anything good about RESISTANCE

Then you’ve been talking to the wrong people — Resistance is excellent.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Staff Sergeant

Then you’ve been talking to the wrong people — Resistance is excellent.
    perhaps i will watch it when it is over and binge it

just looks a little too much like 'kids stuff' from what i have scene

Resistance is amazing.

That's just how animated Star Wars TV shows go. They're advertised as being 'kiddie,' and maybe they are a little bit at the start, but then before you know it you're watching full-fledged Star Wars stories every bit on par with the films. They just happen to be animated instead of live-action.

Exact same thing happened with both The Clone Wars (was censored by Cartoon Network more than once) and Rebels (features deaths of family and friends of main characters, and main characters themselves).

That's how I viewed Rebels at first, then I was like "let me see what this is about.... Oh man this is cool.... ooooo kitty!" I admit it, the Lothcats sucked me into Rebels entirely. I am tempted to check out Resistance myself though.

Anyhow again I think this thread should be sticked and Last Jedi unstickied

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

"Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Staff Sergeant

Lucas brought in to direct scenes with Mark Hamill for ep 9

i can hear the 'retcon birds' singing now (because they always call something new added as a 'retcon')

Staff Sergeant

people can just not get 'un fixated' on Rey

I know so many people insist SW's is about the characters. I disagree, I think it is about the over-all story; good v evil, sith v jedi, empire v republic/rebels, etc

with Rey, and other female characters, I am seeing a type of fascination with them by some fans and when things do not go in tune with fan fantasy, they snap.

<<like how so many are up in arms over GOT's and the so obvious mental breakdown of Dany Targaryen..

of course, this happens with male characters too. like how so many can't seen to fathom that guys like Luke Skywalker are just guys; we get old and our motivations change and we change. some of us get crotchety and cantankerous or just cease to care in the things we once did.

anyhow, the theories increase....

I know so many people insist SW's is about the characters. I disagree, I think it is about the over-all story; good v evil, sith v jedi, empire v republic/rebels, etc
    Hmm.....agree and disagree.

I think the OT was absolutely driven by the characters. The first movie was literally the Hero's Journey story trope, Empire was all about choices and consequences, and at its core Jedi was really about Luke and Anakin's redemption. Watching the Battle of Endor, in no small way the fate of the Rebellion is portrayed as secondary to whether or not Luke is able to save his father. Even Palpatine's goading, designed to elevate the scenes to a more idea-driven Jedi vs. Sith thing, fall away in the face of a story about a kid trying to save his dad.

I think the PT tried for that same character-driven thing, but due to a combination of bad writing and the glitz/glamour/WOW of the Republic and the Clone Wars, exactly what you say is what happened: the character side of things got lost in the grander Jedi/Sith, Republic/Separatists, clones/droids stuff.

of course, this happens with male characters too. like how so many can't seen to fathom that guys like Luke Skywalker are just guys; we get old and our motivations change and we change. some of us get crotchety and cantankerous or just cease to care in the things we once did.
    Yeah. I have my issues with TLJ, but this isn't one of them. People change, particularly when everything is taken from them. I actually thought that Luke's cantankerous hermit thing was kind of a nice echo of Obi-Wan living in exile on Tatooine.

Staff Sergeant

Hmm.....agree and disagree.

I think the OT was absolutely driven by the characters. The first movie was literally the Hero's Journey story trope, Empire was all about choices and consequences, and at its core Jedi was really about Luke and Anakin's redemption. Watching the Battle of Endor, in no small way the fate of the Rebellion is portrayed as secondary to whether or not Luke is able to save his father. Even Palpatine's goading, designed to elevate the scenes to a more idea-driven Jedi vs. Sith thing, fall away in the face of a story about a kid trying to save his dad.

I think the PT tried for that same character-driven thing, but due to a combination of bad writing and the glitz/glamour/WOW of the Republic and the Clone Wars, exactly what you say is what happened: the character side of things got lost in the grander Jedi/Sith, Republic/Separatists, clones/droids stuff.

Yeah. I have my issues with TLJ, but this isn't one of them. People change, particularly when everything is taken from them. I actually thought that Luke's cantankerous hermit thing was kind of a nice echo of Obi-Wan living in exile on Tatooine.
    yes, the OT was initially about the characters. but once the movies came out and the fanbase grew around them so too did the story over and above what Lucas imagined or put to paper--the EU/ legends= the greater story

(of course the EU/LEGENDS now being harvested for its established and proven fan favorite ideas by the new batch of disney/lucasarts writers)

yes, so many people seem to have such large issues with the way luke and also han were portrayed in the new films. Luke was what? 17 in ep 4? no one, in any galaxy is going to have the same beliefs, ideas or faith, not to mention physical capability, at age 70 as they did when they were 17

now that you mentioned it, funny how no one complained about how 'youthful' Kenobi was in the prequels and that his energy and youth in those didn't match his portrayal in ep 4

i really dislike some of these crybaby SW's haters who call themselves 'true fans'

Staff Sergeant

some of these 'leaked plot' people have proved out to be pretty accurate

the GOT's s8 plot predictions were pretty much spot on, and, as the video poster here says, so too were the ones for ENDGAME

interesting though, if this is true, i could deal with it

Just in case they actually have the inside track, I'm going to decline to watch that

I am, however, going to speculate that the real Palpatine isn't returning. My guess is that it'll be either one of or somehow related to the holo/robo Palpatines that appeared in the Shattered Empire comic and Battlefront II

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sentinel_(Contingency)

Staff Sergeant

Just in case they actually have the inside track, I'm going to decline to watch that

I am, however, going to speculate that the real Palpatine isn't returning. My guess is that it'll be either one of or somehow related to the holo/robo Palpatines that appeared in the Shattered Empire comic and Battlefront II

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sentinel_(Contingency)
    the vid references 2 possibilities-

1- clones 2- some sort of sith 'mind occupation' thing. they really didn't give it a name that i caught

the video doen't have any spoilers, no real details, it is more of a rough outline

appears the death star rubble we see in the trailer is not what we think it is

Probie

I think the problem started and ended when they made Darth Vader unredeemable and tried to Kylo Ren redeemable. Oh, yea, and the Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks. That's what you get for ting of Lawrence Kasden. What they a good mythical theme again. They had the generational wars - the evil empire establishment against the rebel resistance. That was the concept that kept it afloat for two trilogies.. almost. They need another George Lucas who knows how to juggle his mythical metaphorical concepts at least.. or even know what those words mean.