This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Disagree with you here. According to what was introduced in the original movie, currently titled "A New hope", the abilities the force gives a sensitive, one of which we would call preconception, or the ability to sense things around them is what allows a Jedi to wield a lightsaber effectively. Hence Luke's training with the remote with his blast shiled down in the wardroom of the Falocn.
    That is true but The Force only really provides the higher reflexes required to say intercept blaster bolts or fight other force users. A non-force sensitive could still be trained to wield a lightsaber just like any other sword.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Disagree with you here. According to what was introduced in the original movie, currently titled "A New hope", the abilities the force gives a sensitive, one of which we would call preconception, or the ability to sense things around them is what allows a Jedi to wield a lightsaber effectively. Hence Luke's training with the remote with his blast shiled down in the wardroom of the Falocn.
      Luke's training with the blast shield and LS was not really training on LS, the LS was the tool used. it was really a training session on using the force

Comment

still nothing on how Luke could fly a xwing-- in combat, so well without training?

ok settles it then...Rey is the best Jedi of all time then

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
          ok, this is connected to ep 9 as we saw it happen in ep 8 and the 'process' may come into play in ep 9

in ep 4 we saw Kenobi disappear when he was fighting Vader. He, we found out later, basically ascended body and soul (hey isn't that like SG 'ascension'?) to become a force ghost

but WHY does a ghost need a body?

Anakin also became a force ghost but his body remained. so, taking your body with you is not a pre-requisite
          Nobody ever said a Force spirit requires a body. It's just a visual aid for the benefit of the person they're appearing to (and to the audience, of course). Remember: Obi-Wan's Force spirit also appeared to Luke on the Death Star ("run, Luke, run!") and at the Battle of Yavin ("trust your feelings," "let go, Luke!")--but only as a voice. Blue glowy Obi-Wan didn't turn up till Empire, three years later.

in EP8 we see Luke disappear as well. BUT he (at his physical location) was not in any imminent threat of death, like Kenobi was with Vader. So why would he be dead?

Or is this a new Jedi/Force wielding power revealed
          It was a new power, that we'd not seen before. Some kind of projection. Why did he croak? Don't know. I thought the film was very good at implying that Luke was 'used up' and done with 'this mortal coil,' but it never spelled it out. (Caveat: I haven't gotten around to reading the novelization of The Last Jedi yet, so I don't know whether there is more explanation in there).

on this wookiepedia site, it only explains what a force ghost is nothing about why the body disappears
          Yeah, the films haven't been super consistent about body disappearance. Kenobi, Yoda, and Luke all disappeared, but Qui-Gon did not. Perhaps the implication here is that your body can disappear if you've prepared for it in some way, but if your death is sudden, you leave a nice smelly corpse? Of course that then begs the question of why you'd want your body to disappear in the first place, to which there is also no good answer.

(also, it says that a SIth cannot become a Force ghost and that Anakin 'learned the secret from Kenobi". Ok, when?)
          It doesn't say that. It says that the Chosen One's "redemption and sacrifice made it possible for his consciousness to be preserved after death by Kenobi and Yoda."

also on the new trilogy

why do so many people want to dig on Rey's abilites vs her 'lack of training'?

I'd say her time spent with Luke gave her just as much time as Luke did with Yoda
          There are "fans" out there who just can't fathom that a woman can be a hero. It's sad, it's disgusting, but it's true. You are quite correct to point out the absurdity of it -- that she has about as much time training with Luke as Luke did with Yoda.

Fortunately, while those "fans" are certainly very vocal, they are also a tiny minority. Look no further than the ludicrous amounts of money Disney is raking in from Star Wars to understand just how inconsequential those whiny turds really are.

just how was it that Luke could pilot a INCOM T65 XWING fighter, the equivalent of our F-18 fighter bomber?
          Existing piloting skills, unpolished, but augmented by Force intuition.

Luke was a hotshot pilot of a planetbound T-16 Skyhopper when he was just another teenager on Tatooine (it'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home!" - Luke, "the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim Territories" - Biggs). He already knows the fundamentals of flying, and what he lacks in the finesse of proper training, he makes up with the (Force) intuition of knowing just the right times to dodge, just the right times to fire lasers, etc.

Much like his father:

Anakin was a hotshot pilot of a planetbound podracer when he was just another kid on Tatooine. He already knows the fundamentals of flying when he finds himself in the cockpit of the Naboo starfighter, and what he lacks in the finesse of proper training, he makes up for with the (Force) intuition of knowing just the right times to roll, just the right times to fire lasers/torpedoes, etc.

I've had my drivers' license and car for a long time. Just because I've never driven a NASCAR car doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to figure it out fairly quickly--I already know the fundamentals, even if I have no experience at driving a NASCAR car. Grant me Force-guided intuition to know when other people are going to crash, the right times to pass someone on the outside, etc. etc., and it's not a huge leap to expect that Jedi Digi could place fairly well in a race with non-Jedi drivers.

in fact, in the anthology novel FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW, Luke is heavily criticized by all of the highly trained rebel pilots, including those who got bumped so he could fly. He wasn't just given a plane, he was put in command of his own squadron!
          That is not correct. Luke was assigned to Red Squadron as Red Five, which was commanded by Garven Dreis.
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 02 May 2019, 06:39 AM.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            That is true but The Force only really provides the higher reflexes required to say intercept blaster bolts or fight other force users. A non-force sensitive could still be trained to wield a lightsaber just like any other sword.
            In "Phantom Menace", when Qui-Gon Jinn is talking to Anakin's mother, he refers to an ability to foresee things before they happen. I think it may actually be a force sensitive can sense things as they happen in real time as events affect the force, which as we learn in "The Empire Strikes Back" surrounds everything, much as we can hear something drop on the floor behind us via sound waves we receive with our ears. This is probably not limited by the speed of sound, however, it may not even be limited by the speed of light, we have no way to know, so I think a force sensitive is or can attune himself to be instantly aware of anything that happens, so it's not really reaction time as we understand it. That ability would give the force wielder tremendous advantage over anyone who doesn't have that ability in almost any endeavor.

Comment

"Luke was a hotshot pilot of a planetbound T-16 Skyhopper when he was just another teenager on Tatooine (it'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home!" - Luke, "the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim Territories" - Biggs). He already knows the fundamentals of flying, and what he lacks in the finesse of proper training, he makes up with the (Force) intuition of knowing just the right times to dodge, just the right times to fire lasers, etc."

exactly (bolded)!

this is what the Luke fanbois/ haters of Rey always leave out

my question on how he can fly a xwing in combat is semi rhetorical (semi because as a retired soldier, i know that a kid playing soldier with a bb gun does not make him ready to go into a combat situation with out trng-- although his innate abilities may make him good at combat) to draw attn to the parallel with Luke's trng/lack thereof and Rey's trng/lack thereof

Comment

[QUOTE=DigiFluid;14658074in there).

It doesn't say that. It says that the Chosen One's "redemption and sacrifice made it possible for his consciousness to be preserved after death by Kenobi and Yoda."

[/QUOTE]

i was referring to this line in the article.. it seems to contradict itself

Individuals such as Yoda were able to physically interact with the world and people around them and use the Force when appearing as spirits.[10] The secret was later passed on to Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and Anakin Skywalker.[4]

Comment

All that line says is that 'it was passed on.' It doesn't specify when or how or by whom; all it really does is point at the end of ROTJ and say: "here's the Force spirits of Yoda/Kenobi/Anakin, so it was obviously passed on somehow."
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

"Luke was a hotshot pilot of a planetbound T-16 Skyhopper when he was just another teenager on Tatooine (it'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home!" - Luke, "the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim Territories" - Biggs). He already knows the fundamentals of flying, and what he lacks in the finesse of proper training, he makes up with the (Force) intuition of knowing just the right times to dodge, just the right times to fire lasers, etc."

exactly (bolded)!

this is what the Luke fanbois/ haters of Rey always leave out

my question on how he can fly a xwing in combat is semi rhetorical (semi because as a retired soldier, i know that a kid playing soldier with a bb gun does not make him ready to go into a combat situation with out trng-- although his innate abilities may make him good at combat) to draw attn to the parallel with Luke's trng/lack thereof and Rey's trng/lack thereof
                    Right, sure - but if a kid already knows how an M16 works, it's not a huge leap for him to figure out how an AK47 works. He already understands the fundamental mechanics and mechanisms, it's just a matter of applying what he already knows, to something similar.

You're right in that he won't have the combat training, but he would have an edge in that the Force would give him a pretty reliable nudge to duck if something is about to blow up in his face, an edge that any other kid/soldier wouldn't have.

Comment

14 new images.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
                        The first few make it look like Star Wars: Fury Road which is kinda awesome.

Also are Rey and Kylo fighting on top of the Falcon? It looks like a similar hull texture to what they’re standing on.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I thought they were on Death Star debris, personally. The water and lighting remind me of that shot of it in the trailer.

Comment

Unclear.

Comment

Didnt realise Richard E Grant was going to be in this!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                                Didnt realise Richard E Grant was going to be in this!
                                He tweeted a video about it last summer that cracked me up

https://twitter.com/richardegrant/st...784257?lang=en

Comment

Working...
                                X