Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by magi877 View Post
    yes, Lucas did set out to do that-the story of a family, good vs evil,etc. but he gave up when he sold out didn't he?

as for Han's name, well even if he didn't know his true surname, there are two people who were his biological parents. their names/families is what I was getting at. I mean why even bring up the subject of his name in SOLO? Why not just leave it alone, no one was questioning the name that I know of. It was just something TPTB's thought would give the film more "edge" or whatever

the whole thing was like a checklist; where did Han-- get his blaster? check! get the falcon? check! meet Chewie? check! why did he refer to the falcon as "She"? check!

i love the concept of the anthology films, just don't see any reason why they chose to use Han and Lando other then for name recognition. there more 'important' story in SOLO was the one about the crime syndicates and how each one portrayed played their role in supporting either the empire or the rebels. As well as the tangential one of Maul
    Yes but you aren’t necessarily going to get people to go to the cinema without that name recognition. Even Rogue One was marketed with a huge focus that people would get to see Vader again and the buzz had a lot to do with the Death Star and how it all looked and felt like A New Hope all over again.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Solo but the name thing was something I like because it makes sense. I mean Lucas chose the name Solo in the first place because Han was this loner that didn’t get on with anybody except Chewie and they just made a little nod to that. We don’t need to know his parents are. BEcause it doesn’t have an impact on the story. His story doesn’t begin until the moment he got away from Correlia and joined the Empire. That’s the significance of the Impirial Officer giving him his name in the first place.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Lots to unpack here....

What Vader sees, and the World Between Worlds, look similar, but they are not the same thing.
    • Vader's actual body never goes anywhere, it's left on the ground outside the 'portal' while his 'spirit' goes into the realm. This is not at all what happens to Ezra -- Ezra physically travels into the World Between Worlds, and sees doorways that would actually allow him to travel through to events that are happening. The dark side realm does nothing of the kind.
    • The dark side realm shows him personally fighting all of the Jedi at the Temple -- that never happened. Some of the Jedi depicted weren't at the Temple when the Order came down. Some of them were already dead.
    • The dark side realm shows Sidious and Obi-Wan battling, which never happened
    • The dark side realm shows Sidious and Obi-Wan side by side with "I am your father" in between the two, clearly implying that each of them is a father figure in the life of Anakin Skywalker

What a bunch of fan sites say doesn't mean jack.

Regarding Pablo, there are a few separate issues there.
    1. What's in Episode III is only ever an implication. And an implication that Plagueis had something to do with his conception, not Sidious.
    2. Pablo specifically refers to the "peculiar POV of the comic," alluding to the unreliability of what's depicted
    3. The photo he attaches comes from the Making of Episode III book, which, shortly after that section, specifies that George Lucas cut the dialogue. Meaning, it was something Lucas considered, but then decided to discard -- so it's not a factual part of the universe
    4. Palpatine is the supreme liar of this universe
    5. Pablo on Twitter is something of an unreliable source for proving/disproving anything Star Wars. He is indeed part of the Story Group in real life, but he's expressed a clear dislike for constantly being asked questions about SW and spent most of the last year and a half either ignoring them or giving trolly replies. I mean, his 2017-18 new years resolution was to draw and tweet a new Transformer every day of the year (and he's a pretty good artist too). So it's important to know to take his Twitter replies with a grain of salt.

All that said...if it turns out Episode IX says that's what happened, then that's what happened! Cool!

But until then, it's nonsense from people who are bad at telling the difference between literalism and implication.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; April 20th, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Staff Sergeant

with Han's name-- yes I agree, bt with JJ's bag of tricks and what he pulls out of it, any kind of buffoonery is possible

i agree with the name recognition as a draw for the casual SW's fans

but did they really have to put R2 and 3PO in Rogue One? arrghhh!!!

Staff Sergeant

yup

we will just have to wait to see what we will see
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    note-- if I come off as aggressive I do not mean it.. i am a product of a dog eat dog sci fi fan site that I have been using for a very long time now

yes, my fault for staying there so long

so, sorry for my coarseness, it is not my intent, it is just more like a automatic state of mind from that experience

thanks!

but did they really have to put R2 and 3PO in Rogue One? arrghhh!!!
    Well they have been in all the Star Wars episodes, except "Solo - A Star Wars story" I think. It was only a cameo appearance and I think it would not be the same without them. Solo was not the same, which proves my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    Well they have been in all the Star Wars episodes, except "Solo - A Star Wars story" I think. It was only a cameo appearance and I think it would not be the same without them. Solo was not the same, which proves my point.
    Agreed. It's one of the biggest Star Wars traditions to have them in. I mean in manyI've always thought of them as the narrators of the franchise. At least for episodes I through VI. Sooner or later they won't be able to be in all the movies but I'd still like little nods to them. Maybe another Protocol and R2 Droid always knocking around in the background somewhere.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Staff Sergeant

i have no desire to see any more Skywalkers, Palpatines, Solo's, R2 D2 or C3PO

Get this story done and get them packing!

they are continually re-using these characters for the name recognition for ticket sales and for other marketing-like toys.

so many other stories that could be told! i hope we see some in the future

Staff Sergeant

rumor-- started by story board artists--that Ezra Bridger will at elast be mentioned and a statue of him shown in this film

I could definitely stand more Ezra! Would like to see that story (of him and Thrawn lost on that Imperial Destroyer) depicted or at least desribed.

thoughts?

remember this is JJ--the destroyer of Favorite Star Trek worlds and the master of "it was all a dream" type of endings. So anything is possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vA2D-I3Skc

I'll be thrilled when the future films, for which writers/directors have already been hired, start exploring other parts of the galaxy.

For this, it would be stupid to do anything but what they're doing. It would be like having the final episode of Deep Space Nine be about a bunch of Betazoid poker players and feature none of the core cast or the story-in-process. Sure it could be interesting as its own thing, but not as the closing chapter of an ongoing story.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I'll be thrilled when the future films, for which writers/directors have already been hired, start exploring other parts of the galaxy.

For this, it would be stupid to do anything but what they're doing. It would be like having the final episode of Deep Space Nine be about a bunch of Betazoid poker players and feature none of the core cast or the story-in-process. Sure it could be interesting as its own thing, but not as the closing chapter of an ongoing story.
    You mean like the end of Enterprise?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    That exact thought crossed my mind while I was writing that but I decided to go in another direction

Staff Sergeant

oh i agree

let ep9 have its skywalkers, etc. then lets be done please

i mean i really do not want to see a Skywalker or C3PO wander into some cantina in THE MANDALORIAN

Staff Sergeant

i loved enterpise but the ending was probably the worst ever made..sad, the show had more to offer,even if only for 1 more season

would have liked to see the Earth Romulan war and the rise of the federation and all who were part of it at the time

i mean, you can never get enough of the Andorians, right?

We are discussing episode 9 of Starwars aren't we?

You (Magi 877) have brought Rogue one into the discussion, & now seem to be discussing future episodes beyond episode 9 (as in quote "i mean i really do not want to see a Skywalker or C3PO wander into some cantina in THE MANDALORIAN" /quote.
    Who or whatever THE MANDALORIAN is I believe it has its own thread.
    But if we are going off topic Mandorallan was a character in the Belgariad. Now there is a series they should have made into movie.

Staff Sergeant

Unhappy Re: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    We are discussing episode 9 of Starwars aren't we?

You (Magi 877) have brought Rogue one into the discussion, & now seem to be discussing future episodes beyond episode 9 (as in quote "i mean i really do not want to see a Skywalker or C3PO wander into some cantina in THE MANDALORIAN" /quote.
    Who or whatever THE MANDALORIAN is I believe it has its own thread.
    But if we are going off topic Mandorallan was a character in the Belgariad. Now there is a series they should have made into movie.
    so..guessing you are not a Star Wars fan if you don't know what/who a 'mandalorian' is

my bringing in other star wars topics to this was in response to, or to show examples of why I can't wait till ep 9 is released and done

so..guessing you are not a Star Wars fan if you don't know what/who a 'mandalorian' is

my bringing in other star wars topics to this was in response to, or to show examples of why I can't wait till ep 9 is released and done
    Well I have looked up Mandalorian & I must apologise for my ignorance.

I base my answers and comments on the Star Wars movies, not on American TV show spinoffs which we do not seem to get here in Australia.

I have no idea of the future plans of Disney Studios for the Star Wars Movies, but I suppose there could be plans for a Star Wars 10 (or Star Wars X as they like Roman numerals) & even XI, XII, and so on, without the Skywalker family, but including more R2D2 & C3PO. And at one point I think there were discussions of further Star Wars characters getting their own spinoff movies after Hans Solo, and they too could give us Movie fans more droids.

A sudden thought as just occured to me, is it just R2D2 & C3PO you dislike, or is it all droids?)

Head-desk.

Much as I like Star Wars, Star Trek and such, I simply don't have time to keep up with all of the various incarnations published in the various media. There are simply too many books, cartoon series, and other officially produced productions.

So out of necessity, I pretty much consider what happens on the screen in the movies and major TV series as my definition of canon.

Yes, for example, Grand Admiral Thrawn's antics are entertaining, and there are many other very good books and such from many franchises. But there are simply too many of them to keep up.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Much as I like Star Wars, Star Trek and such, I simply don't have time to keep up with all of the various incarnations published in the various media. There are simply too many books, cartoon series, and other officially produced productions.

So out of necessity, I pretty much consider what happens on the screen in the movies and major TV series as my definition of canon.

Yes, for example, Grand Admiral Thrawn's antics are entertaining, and there are many other very good books and such from many franchises. But there are simply too many of them to keep up.
    Here is the thing.
    You don't have to "keep up", but what you need to understand is what "your view" of Canon is not actually accurate. This is not a dig in any sense, you know more about engines and cars than I ever will because, that's your thing.
    My view of an engine is incomplete, much like people who do not watch or read all the accepted canon is incomplete. When "lay people" tell a MECHANIC how to fix a car, the mechanic -rightly- calls them ignorant.
    Your view of SW is incomplete, in the same way.
    Do you understand?

Here is the thing.
    You don't have to "keep up", but what you need to understand is what "your view" of Canon is not actually accurate. This is not a dig in any sense, you know more about engines and cars than I ever will because, that's your thing.
    My view of an engine is incomplete, much like people who do not watch or read all the accepted canon is incomplete. When "lay people" tell a MECHANIC how to fix a car, the mechanic -rightly- calls them ignorant.
    Your view of SW is incomplete, in the same way.
    Do you understand?
    Absolutely, and I agree. I'm just saying that for those who can't immerse themselves in a universe, it can all be too confusing.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine