X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Release date: December 20, 2019

Well it’s still a year and a half out, but I guess we should have a thread about it!

Not a lot of details at this point, but we do know that JJ Abrams is returning to direct, while stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, and Oscar Isaac are all lined up to return as well.

Discuss and speculate away!
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 06 July 2018, 11:14 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Variety reports:

‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ Eyes Keri Russell (EXCLUSIVE)

Keri Russell is headed to a galaxy far, far away.

Sources tell Variety that the Felicity alum is in early talks to join J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: Episode IX, which Abrams is writing and directing. Russell and Abrams last collaborated on 2006’s Mission: Impossible III.

The role calls for action-heavy fight scenes. Russell has shown her ability to perform tough stunts in projects like FX’s The Americans, Mission: Impossible, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Abrams and Lucasfilm execs met with several actresses for the role in the past two months and settled on Russell right before the Fourth of July holiday. Abrams will likely cast two more actors by the time the film begins production at the end of the month. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver are all expected to return.

Abrams helmed Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and was asked to come back to direct this latest installment after Colin Trevorrow exited following creative differences. Abrams filled the role last fall and has spent most of that time working on the script with Chris Terrio.

It’s unknown at this time whether Russell will be on the side of the rebels or the evil empire.

Russell recently wrapped the final season of The Americans. She is repped by WME and manager Joannie Burstein.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Was Abrams always going to direct this movie? And this is probably the last thing you'll hear out of me in this thread, unless I come back after the movie has been released. Even reading the Keri Russell news was a spoiler I didn't want. . . . and of course I will check back to see the answer to my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
        Was Abrams always going to direct this movie? And this is probably the last thing you'll hear out of me in this thread, unless I come back after the movie has been released. Even reading the Keri Russell news was a spoiler I didn't want. . . . and of course I will check back to see the answer to my question.
        Nope...Abrams was going to be one and done. IX was to be written and directed by Colin Trevorrow (writer/director of Safety Not Guaranteed, writer/director of Jurassic World). Trevorrow ended up being one of the numerous Star Wars director casualties where they’re announced as ‘exiting due to creative differences,’ though I think most of us can guess that that’s polite-speak for “fired.” A week later, they announced that Abrams was returning.

Comment

Episode IX: The Return of Billy Dee Williams

Comment

Cast of Episode IX announced at StarWars.com:

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX CAST ANNOUNCED

RETURNING AND NEW CAST MEMBERS WILL JOIN TOGETHER FOR THE FINAL INSTALLMENT OF THE SKYWALKER SAGA.

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX.

Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

Release is scheduled for December 2019.

Comment

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”
              Not so fond of that idea. It's disrespectful to Carrie, if you ask me.

Comment

my favorite idea, open up to han and luke arriving in orbit over coruscant, han and luke are devestated, luke looking at han and saying "Leia..." because they have arrived with a new medicine to treat the inhabbitants of coruscant from a deadly virus created and unleashed by rogue imperials who while han and luke went to get the medicine from Typhon, useing a Heavy Transport convoy to carry them, also went and abducted han and leias kids, but leia dies defending them.... and basically

everything turns out to be a brainwashing treatment the imperials have been putting on han and leias kids as well as lukes kid and his wife who was abducted also, while leia was sadly killed defending them in the corridor, due to her having contracted the virus as well and finally succumbed too its effects during a imperial assault,

then boom, you deal with alot of angry fans, up set a few people sadly who liked the previous stories, but mostly you open up the chance to have admiral ackbar back and han, and luke, and you get admiral haldo who can actually be a imperial admiral or overseer of imperial intelligence who is trying to brainwash the skywalkers into imperial assassins and open them up to darkside influences for her master, either a dark jedi from the old republic era, or a clone or robot of palpatine etc

Comment

i always like to share my fanfiction idea if you want to call it... it seems to fit with all the expanded universe books though etc

Comment

They could have very easily written an offscreen death for Leia in dozens or hundreds of ways. After all, being a general in the rebellion isn't a particularly safe lifestyle.
                    If you ask me, using old footage is just milking it and disrespectful to Carrie Fisher, who was an important part of the franchise.

Comment

i could see useing old footage, if its good footage, and her family is paid properly per contract predictions for higher pay etc

Comment

Richard E. Grant describes the weird way he won his role in Episode IX...and his reaction

Comment

Doctor Who’s Matt Smith joins Star Wars: Episode IX

Comment

Episode IX wrapped principal photography today!

https://twitter.com/jjabrams/status/1096496364576493568

Comment

No official source yet, but the rumour mill is saying we'll get the first trailer at Celebration Chicago, in just under a month's time.

Comment

Working...
                              X